Saw a Leaf on the freeway yesterday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Coming home from work yesterday on the northbound I405 at Burbank Blvd, I saw a blue Leaf get on the freeway in front of me. It had no plates on it and did not have the large decals on the side so I assume that it was a production/customer car. Unfortunately, it immediately got in to the car pool lane so I couldn't catch up to it to get any further information.

I think that we are going to need an official "LEAF sightings" thread soon. Still haven't seen one in the wild, myself.

I still haven't spotted a Leaf in the wild yet (Jimmydreams, I'm now a hazard while trying to park at Costco Carlsbad, as I'm REALLY scanning the lot looking for yours!), but this morning, taking my son to school, I saw a Volt parked along the road.
180342_10150106401257521_654352520_6018399_2048395_n.jpg

Somebody saw me today, and liked what she saw! :D

I was in the second lane cruising along at 65mph, as I do, when this silver SUV pulls up along side me in the next lane and settles down to the same speed I'm going for a while. Now this normally makes me nervous. I mean, it could be gang-bangers out to jack me. But this time I paid no mind. Well after a while the SUV pulls past me and it turns out it was a Nissan Armada with distributor or dealer plates (couldn't make out which - they were kinda dirty/worn). I dare say the whole time it was beside me, the driver was looking to get my attention so she could give me a thumbs-up or something. :lol:

Hey, so since I posted my Volt sighting on FB, two of my co-workers have told me they've seen a Leaf around work--one guy said he saw it leaving the parking lot across the street.

Any Leaf drivers on the forum work/drive around High Bluff Drive (the parking lot) and Del Mar Heights road in San Diego/Del Mar?

lonndoggie said:
I saw a Volt parked along the road.
I'm sorry, but something about that photo makes it look like the Volt has a really fat ass. I wonder if that's at all appropriate for an American car. :lol: Needs a more flattering angle...

Also, if that's just some random guy's car, it's kind of like a courtesy to cover up the license plate - but in this case it appears to be that of a dealer (since the plate matches the plate trim advert) so no big deal I guess.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
I'm sorry, but something about that photo makes it look like the Volt has a really fat ass. I wonder if that's at all appropriate for an American car. :lol: Needs a more flattering angle...
:lol: Indeed. I first saw both a Volt and a Leaf (pre-production prototypes) at an alternative energy expo in San Diego...ah...I think it was about Feb 2010. Then I thought the Volt was HUGE and the Leaf tiny. Amazed later to find out the Leaf has more interior volume (even if the Volt still does have a fat ass!).

Smidge204 said:
Also, if that's just some random guy's car, it's kind of like a courtesy to cover up the license plate - but in this case it appears to be that of a dealer (since the plate matches the plate trim advert) so no big deal I guess.
=Smidge=
Indeed. Real plates would've been Smudged, Smidge (my granddad used to go by "Mudge", btw). Also, I don't know if that's a dealers, or belongs to a civilian, and still has paper plates. I'm guessing the later.

Smidge204 said:

Pretty sure that's not an actual personalized license plate, it's just the ubiquitous dealer advertising insert.

What surprises me is that nobody has speculated on why this Volt is sitting forlornly by the side of the road...if it was a Leaf, a nonbeliever would undoubtedly have chimed in with an assertion that it may have run out of juice :?

wsbca said:
What surprises me is that nobody has speculated on why this Volt is sitting forlornly by the side of the road...if it was a Leaf, a nonbeliever would undoubtedly have chimed in with an assertion that it may have run out of juice :?

Well I was going to quip "broken down" back there a while ago. But then I decided to stay classy, since we were talking about San Diego, kinda. :D

wsbca said:
Maybe it ran out of juice AND gas! :eek:

BTW, "forlorn" was what crossed my mind when I saw it sitting there. It's not a place you see cars parked very often.

lonndoggie said:
I saw a Volt parked along the road.
I saw a red one yesterday in Carlsbad (also had Weseloh dealer plates) on Poinsettia and Melrose on the way in to work. First Volt sighting for me.

Still haven't seen a Leaf in the wild.

Jimmydreams said:
LakeLeaf said:
bonus points for pictures!
EXTRA bonus points of you can identify the driver by his forum name!!!
:lol: :mrgreen:

Not fair! My plates say TRONZ.

Spotting still counts if you already have your LEAF. I will be thrilled when I spot someone elses LEAF in the wild. Interestingly, I was under the impression that LEAFs were NOT getting noticed by people. I beg to differ in my zip code. After 72 hours I have lost count of people that have waved, stared, followed me for questioning, flashed me peace signs, etc. The first night driving our LEAF we parked in front at a local Pick Up Stix for dinner. In 15 minutes our LEAF had no less than a dozen people around it. Most seemed to think it was a "test" car so I pre-heated the interior via iPhone, finished eating and went out for a show and tell. People were eager to sit in it and the questions came quick. If I had a few extra LEAFs handy, I am certain several people would have written checks on the spot.

Back