Fully Charged Drives a Leaf...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

...and recharges from water. ;)

Robert's got a Leaf on extended loan for a few months.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cG6XjxHjoc[/youtube]

The LlewBlog article about the mill trip:
http://llewblog.squarespace.com/electric-cars/2011/4/19/zero-carbon-leaf-drive.html

The latest episode of Fully Charged raised as many questions as it answered which I am slowly learning is always the case.

Charge times are a very common anxiety. I'll explain as best I can...

Info on the mill:
http://www.bath.ac.uk/i-see/posters/Anthony_Battersby_PPP_21_April_09.pdf

Thanks for posting this... very nicely done.

I'm not sure that I believe he really had a level 3 , 20 minute charger there. If he went to 80%, he wouldn't have had the range to get home. And I can't think they installed a level 3 charger there just for 1 car visiting 1 time.

He did capture the issues with the range display....everyone here can nod in agreement during the piece.

Those are NOT the rear headrests *my* LEAF came with. Perhaps Nissan has heard our complaints about them and already replaced them with smaller ones. If so, can I swap mine out please?

AmarilloLeaf said:

I'm not sure that I believe he really had a level 3 , 20 minute charger there. If he went to 80%, he wouldn't have had the range to get home. And I can't think they installed a level 3 charger there just for 1 car visiting 1 time.

He did capture the issues with the range display....everyone here can nod in agreement during the piece.
I think he told a fib. It definitely looked like a J1772.
-----
I went back, and he says, "The Nissan Leaf is plugged into their electricity, and they produce enough electricity from their turbine to recharge 24kwh in about 30 minutes."

He avoids saying that he actually charged it that fast.

Glenn said:
Spies said:
Is it just me or do the headrests for the back seats look smaller than normal?
Notice that the front passenger headrest is removed!
The passenger headrest was removed for the camera. He doesn't use any camera people and just sticks the camera mounts to the windows.

Those rear headrests look great! Someone has to be able to get the Nissan part # so we can order them! :D

davewill said:
AmarilloLeaf said:

I think he told a fib. It definitely looked like a J1772.
-----
I went back, and he says, "The Nissan Leaf is plugged into their electricity, and they produce enough electricity from their turbine to recharge 24kwh in about 30 minutes."

He avoids saying that he actually charged it that fast.
I got the impression that he spent most of the day there, probably around 8 hours for a full charge, because he said they talked about many things, he wandered around the grounds and said he was tired as he was leaving. I think the "they produce enough electricity from their turbine to recharge 24kwh in about 30 minutes" was merely to illustrate how much energy the turbine produces, how relatively little energy the LEAF needs and to contrast that with the later statement of trying to produce fuel for your gas car at home by drilling an oil well and refining the gasoline on site! Electricity for your EV can be "Home Grown", well, generated, while producing home grown gasoline is nearly impossible, though arguably you might grow a crop and make ethanol or do some sort of Bio-Diesel, it's generally not as easy as water power, wind power or solar panels to make electricity for your EV.

DarkStar said:
Glenn said:
Spies said:
Is it just me or do the headrests for the back seats look smaller than normal?
Notice that the front passenger headrest is removed!
The passenger headrest was removed for the camera. He doesn't use any camera people and just sticks the camera mounts to the windows.

Those rear headrests look great! Someone has to be able to get the Nissan part # so we can order them! :D

I'm guessing they come as standard on the UK/European Leaf as the Leaf I took for a test drive today had the smaller rear headrestraints. Perhaps it's to do with whiplash lesgislation? I attach a pic I took today which you can just see the smaller headrest.

grumpycabbie-albums-nissan-leaf-picture6192-leaf-boot.jpg

GrumpyCabbie said:
I'm guessing they come as standard on the UK/European Leaf as the Leaf I took for a test drive today had the smaller rear headrestraints. Perhaps it's to do with whiplash lesgislation? I attach a pic I took today which you can just see the smaller headrest.

Since I almost NEVER have anyone in my backseat, I want 'em!!!

GrumpyCabbie said:
In your photo it almost looks like there could be 3 headrests in the back like in the Prius. I am still kinda surprised there is not a headrest for the center rear passenger for whiplash protection as it is. For now I just remove the back headrests anyway along with the silly privacy cover since I usually just keep the back seats folded down so I can carry my bike in the back. With the headrests removed while the seats are folded down makes for much better access to the space on the floor behind the front seats.

Thanks for the report GrumpyCabbie! It fascinates me that the European Leaf would have three small headrests for the back seat while the American Leaf has only two large ones.

First post now has link to the blog post for more info on the mill and the charging options.

http://llewblog.squarespace.com/electric-cars/2011/4/19/zero-carbon-leaf-drive.html

I plugged in their 13 amp outlet and had to wait around for over 4 hours. To be honest this wasn't a chore, Anthony Battersby and Rachel Feilden who own Tellisford Mill were very hospitable. It was a public open day for them, they are part of the Mendip Power Group which is a group of people who live or own old wool and flour mills along the river Frome in Somerset.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/i-see/posters/Anthony_Battersby_PPP_21_April_09.pdf

Carlos joins Robert in the car. Great conversation. Enjoy

A very interesting 19.6 miles.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anMAn089sC0[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anMAn089sC0&feature=player_embedded

Back