GT1 Star Michael Krumm Drives the Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Racing driver Michael Krumm, who drives the Nissan GT-R in the GT1 racing series, drives the Nissan Leaf around Silverstone, while he discusses it, the NISMO version, and electric vehicles in general:

http://video.aol.com/video/autoblog-video-michael-krumm-drives-the-nissan-leaf/3177058341

Boomer23 said:
Very nice, Mike. I love this kind of thing. Really validates the LEAF as a car that can be taken seriously.

It validates one can drive the LEAF around a wide track at 50 like any other econo box. It's an endorsed bit on a track that attempts to struggle to hint the car has any performance or sporty attributes beyond perception. The LEAF is a nice basic (Japanese market) EV with econo box features and build quality but it is nothing more than that, let's be real and stop acting like it handles well or has good acceleration or a high tech ground-up design, it is a very polished hybrid conversion with pasted together technology. It is just a first out EV with perceptual build quality and poor marketing execution and feature sets. I'm not bashing the car just being realistic as a long time and owner of many factory and converted EVs. Let's enjoy the car but not put it on the track to make it look better then it is because it is driven by a professional driver. I don't know how he sleeps at night after driving a modified GTR and saying the LEAF handles incredibly.

mwalsh said:
Racing driver Michael Krumm, who drives the Nissan GT-R in the GT1 racing series, drives the Nissan Leaf around Silverstone, while he discusses it, the NISMO version, and electric vehicles in general:
http://video.aol.com/video/autoblog-video-michael-krumm-drives-the-nissan-leaf/3177058341

Cool! :mrgreen:

EVDRIVER said:
let's be real and stop acting like it handles well or has good acceleration.....Let's enjoy the car but not put it on the track to make it look better then it is because it is driven by a professional driver. I don't know how he sleeps at night after driving a modified GTR and saying the LEAF handles incredibly.

I'm going to disagree with you here. I think the car has very good acceleration, though it's not equal to that of the Mini E or Tesla (though you also don't have to suffer through the manic torque steer present in the Mini E). And I've thrown the car into a few corners at speed and it does extremely well though them. I think it would make a very capable competitor in a race series appropriate to it.

I have certainly had fun with it on twisty roads, but it suffers in that regard from its eco tires, soft suspension, and inside wheel spin.

Bill

I love my leaf and would put it's handling up against anything besides a BMW-level luxury sport car. Trying to denigrate what Michael Krumm thinks about the car is BS. Yes, it's a PR video, but he's a professional driver. I'll believe what he says because it dovetails with my own experience with the car.

Just how many "factory and converted EVs" have you owned, EVDriver? I'd love to hear your EV lineage....?

EVDRIVER said:
Boomer23 said:
Very nice, Mike. I love this kind of thing. Really validates the LEAF as a car that can be taken seriously.

It validates one can drive the LEAF around a wide track at 50 like any other econo box. It's an endorsed bit on a track that attempts to struggle to hint the car has any performance or sporty attributes beyond perception. The LEAF is a nice basic (Japanese market) EV with econo box features and build quality but it is nothing more than that, let's be real and stop acting like it handles well or has good acceleration or a high tech ground-up design, it is a very polished hybrid conversion with pasted together technology. It is just a first out EV with perceptual build quality and poor marketing execution and feature sets. I'm not bashing the car just being realistic as a long time and owner of many factory and converted EVs. Let's enjoy the car but not put it on the track to make it look better then it is because it is driven by a professional driver. I don't know how he sleeps at night after driving a modified GTR and saying the LEAF handles incredibly.

Wow. Why such vitrol? The LEAF is an amazing EV. The first mass produced, mass market, EV ever.

Hyrbrid conversion with pasted together technology? What are you smoking? It is not a conversion. It is a purpose built semi ground up product.

The Focus EV is a conversion.

The Leaf is an amazing mass market car. I'm still amazed that it's the only mass market EV on the road. And I'm driving it.

The Leaf certainly does NOT have econo box features. Backup camera, nav, auto headlights, auto dimming rear view mirror, bluetooth phone control, RSS feeds? I feel like I'm driving the future.

mwalsh said:
I think it would make a very capable competitor in a race series appropriate to it.

We should have a "stock" LEAF AX. I think it would be a blast.

So, I never said it was a nice car but the handling is not so great particularly for a car with a low CG regardless of eco tires, I have had many an EV, torque steer is not really a comparison as I had a FWD compact conversion with as much power as a Tesla with no torque steer worth noting, and the steering and suspension is not well done by average car standards. As and EV it's good as a car it's on the poor side. I just drove an economy rental car with steering that felt like a BMW compared to the LEAF.

cdub said:
Wow. Why such vitrol? The LEAF is an amazing EV. The first mass produced, mass market, EV ever.

I don't think it's vitrol. EVDriver is a very knowledgeable EV proponent. Maybe his expectations of the LEAF were higher than they were/are for the rest of us, based on what he's driven previously. If I had to be completely honest, the LEAF isn't the best EV I've driven either. But, that said, I still think it's darn good. :D

Edit: You just beat me to it EVDriver!

Back