Page 1 of 1

Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:23 pm
by mwalsh
Filmed at the Motorsports Japan Festival 2011:


Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:31 pm
by EVDRIVER
The body panels and low weight on this car are nice. I wish they would do something with the drive system. Many home conversions could put this car to shame on the track.

Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:09 pm
by DaveEV
I don't know how many of the drivers are experienced drifters, but it's pretty clear that the NISMO RC needs at least 2x more power or at least tires a lot less sticky for some decent drifting. It didn't look like the car was set up well for drifting - pushed too much. The drivers seemed to have a very hard time breaking it loose - a typical drift car will either drop the clutch to break the rear tires loose or the hand brake on a small course like this.

Still fun! Wish the production LEAF looked more like this and was closer to it in weight. :)

Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 am
by cwerdna
I saw this at http://green.autoblog.com/2011/11/01/ni ... -festival/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the headline "Nissan Leaf RC goes Gymkhana at Japanese motorsport festival". I wasn't sure if the spins were intentional but I think they were not...

I don't normally watch or follow Gymkhana and prior to watching the above, the only Gymkhana video I'd seen was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:13 am
by HighDesertDriver
I don't know about sticky tires or weight distribution issues, but I'm guessing the flame-resistant driving gear is (1) in case they collide with an ICE competitor (in the pits?) and (2) to provide space for the names of sponsors. :lol:

Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:29 am
by Drivesolo
drees wrote:I don't know how many of the drivers are experienced drifters, but it's pretty clear that the NISMO RC needs at least 2x more power or at least tires a lot less sticky for some decent drifting. It didn't look like the car was set up well for drifting - pushed too much. The drivers seemed to have a very hard time breaking it loose - a typical drift car will either drop the clutch to break the rear tires loose or the hand brake on a small course like this.

Still fun! Wish the production LEAF looked more like this and was closer to it in weight. :)
+1

A drift machine the Nismo RC is definitely not. Needs... moar... powah! But I have seen some good drifting from S13's & S14's that have their stock KA24 engines. But only only on tight 2nd gear type courses. I believe in this video they were running Gymkhana tho. You can really see the weight of the car when it attempts to rotate and on initial turn in. Probably a lot quicker than it appears since most of us are attuned to hearing the revs of a car climb in association to it's motion.

Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:30 am
by mwalsh
cwerdna wrote:I don't normally watch or follow Gymkhana and prior to watching the above, the only Gymkhana video I'd seen was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Me either. Prior to watching the video above, the only Gymkhana I'd seen had ponies and little girls! :lol:

Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 am
by DaveEV
cwerdna wrote:I don't normally watch or follow Gymkhana and prior to watching the above, the only Gymkhana video I'd seen was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I wouldn't really call Ken Block's video's Gymkhana (Gymkhana inspired, definitely), but it does give you an idea of the kind of power it takes to really slide a car around. The rest of his "Gymkhana" videos are a lot of fun to watch if you're in to it.

This video shows you what even pretty low powered cars can do with the right setup for sliding around - for sure most of tires a lot less grippy than the NISMO RC's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACHQUNiqtI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Getting a bit crazy in the LEAF NISMO RC

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:01 pm
by aqn
I would venture a guess that the driver was using the throttle to make the car turn and not to drift, because those are awfully meaty rear tires to go drifting with.
drees wrote:This video shows you what even pretty low powered cars can do with the right setup for sliding around - for sure most of tires a lot less grippy than the NISMO RC's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACHQUNiqtI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup. At least one of the drift icons, the Toyota GT-S AE86, would have to break a sweat to beat a stock LEAF by a couple of bhp's.