rumpole
Delivery Date: 19 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15266

Leaf Involved In Head-On Accident

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am

http://www.marysvilleglobe.com/news/168180566.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Marysville Globe, in Marysville, Washington, reports on a head-on accident between a red Mitsubishi and a black Nissan Leaf. Unfortunately, the Mitsubishi owner didn't survive. The four passengers in the Leaf survived with minor injuries. There is a pretty dramatic picture of the Leaf that accompanies the story. I found it notable, and not unexpected, that no mention was made about ev's, or special handling required because it was an ev. Emergency responders have been trained to safely handle ev accidents.
2012 Brilliant Silver SV followed by 2014 Gunmetal Grey SV and now 2016 Kia Soul EV
Bumper Sticker: This Is What The End Of Gasoline Looks Like -> Get it and others at http://www.zazzle.com/leptoquark

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Re: Leaf Involved In Head-On Accident

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:34 am

Sounds like the driver of the mitsubishi might have been drunk. This is probably the most serious crash I've heard of involving a Leaf. I would imagine this vehicle will be totaled.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

timhebb
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1262

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 am

It's worth noting that the original article mentions "a small fire" resulted from the damage to the Mitsubishi, and was quickly extinguished.

No such complications reported for the Leaf, fortunately. It would have been too convenient an opportunity for EV-bashers to revive and (almost literally) fan the flames of the Volt battery-fire controversy.

There seems to be little in this scenario to provide an opening for diehard gas-burning champions. The ICE driver was likely drunk and his vehicle failed to protect him from the consequences of his own folly; the innocent Leaf driver and three passengers seem to have emerged relatively unscathed. The Leaf's safety ratings have been impressive - this seems to give them more credibility.

Maybe EV's will save the world, after all...at least there's no way to distort and turn this incident against us.
TH

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

Five different photos of the accident scene.

Looks like the worst type of accident for the drivers - offset frontal. The Leaf handled the crash much better, with very little intrusion into the cabin. I can't tell the year/model of the Mitsubishi, but I'd guess it is early 90s. The driver's-side cabin looks quite collapsed.
2012 Black SV, bought 2012-04-04, sold 2019-05-10. 7 bars, 101,850 miles.
Current rides: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2018 Chevrolet Volt LT

TonyWilliams

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:48 am

timhebb wrote: the innocent Leaf driver... ...at least there's no way to distort and turn this incident against us.
I read on Faux Nooze that the LEAF driver wasn't innocent, and in fact was a dope smoking hippie who was targeting innocent (drunk) gas burning cars for collisions.

How'd I do?

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
timhebb wrote: the innocent Leaf driver... ...at least there's no way to distort and turn this incident against us.
I read on Faux Nooze that the LEAF driver wasn't innocent, and in fact was a dope smoking hippie who was targeting innocent (drunk) gas burning cars for collisions.

How'd I do?
uh, black unmarried woman driving the new obama welfare cadillac.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 am

Congratulations Nissan for protecting the passengers.

And congratulations to several good citizens who helped to make this less tragic.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

SanDust

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Very sorry to hear about the death and the injuries to the Leaf driver and passengers. Car seats are good things. You can alos see from the photos that all airbags deployed. Fortunate that the car ahead of the Mitsubishi was able to get it to slow down. Otherwise we might be looking at more fatalities.

Does sound from the story that the driver of the Mitsubishi was impaired.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Looks like a not-quite-head-on collision.

I wonder how much LEAF planners knew about, and how well the LEAF will do, on the new IIHS overlap crash test?
Only 3 of 11 midsize luxury and near-luxury cars evaluated earn good or acceptable ratings in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's new small overlap frontal crash test, the latest addition to a suite of tests designed to help consumers pick the safest vehicles.

The Acura TL and Volvo S60 earn good ratings, while the Infiniti G earns acceptable. The Acura TSX, BMW 3 series, Lincoln MKZ and Volkswagen CC earn marginal ratings. The Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Lexus IS 250/350, Audi A4 and Lexus ES 350 earn poor. All of these cars are 2012 models. See these ratings in table format.

In the test, 25 percent of a car's front end on the driver side strikes a 5-foot-tall rigid barrier at 40 mph. A 50th percentile male Hybrid III dummy is belted in the driver seat. The test is designed to replicate what happens when the front corner of a car collides with another vehicle or an object like a tree or utility pole. Outside of some automakers' proving grounds, such a test isn't currently conducted anywhere else in the United States or Europe.

"Nearly every new car performs well in other frontal crash tests conducted by the Institute and the federal government, but we still see more than 10,000 deaths in frontal crashes each year," Institute President Adrian Lund says. "Small overlap crashes are a major source of these fatalities. This new test program is based on years of analyzing real-world frontal crashes and then replicating them in our crash test facility to determine how people are being seriously injured and how cars can be designed to protect them better. We think this is the next step in improving frontal crash protection."...
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr081412.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Actually, there are so many variables in such a collision that you can't draw any conclusions about crashworthness or the like from the results. If the angle or offset had been slightly different, for example, the outcomes could have been just the opposite.
timhebb wrote:There seems to be little in this scenario to provide an opening for diehard gas-burning champions. The ICE driver was likely drunk and his vehicle failed to protect him from the consequences of his own folly; the innocent Leaf driver and three passengers seem to have emerged relatively unscathed. The Leaf's safety ratings have been impressive - this seems to give them more credibility.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Pictures, Videos”