mitch672

Re: Nissan LEAF Reservations

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 am

daniel, I really do think the December rollout is only for the 10 cities on the "EV Project" map list... it was supposed to be a year before they where available in other areas originally, but maybe Nissan will move that up, since there are not a lot more initial hand raisers than the orignal 4700 max number for the rollout area, they could probably get them to the customers who want them much sooner, as long as we probably sign some type of waiver that "public" charging is not yet availble in your area. As you said, many of us are fine with just home charging (even with just the 120V trickle charging setup that comes with the Leaf, as they won't even have the electrician networks setup in other areas yet), and we are looking at the Leaf as a "commuter" vehicle, and our roundtrip to/from work is well below the range of the Leaf (mine is only 34 miles rountrip, for example)

EV Project initial rollout: http://www.theevproject.com/overview.php
2012 Advanced Plug in Prius (sold)
I Support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fuelly page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tesla Model S 85KW Dolphin Grey VIN: 03245, delivered 1/17/2013

Dav
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:41 am

I've generally referred to them as regions rather than cities or states. I don't think it will be a set number of miles from "ground zero". I think it will be based on infrastructure and will look like early cell coverage maps.

Areas within a few miles of planned charging stations will receive preference over those in more rural areas. Simply my guess.

daniel

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm hoping (as are many others) that the EV Project complements, but does not define, the initial roll-out. They never said Seattle was the market. They said Washington. You could very well be right. But they have never clarified that, and if after all it's only Seattle, I will feel that they were dishonest with us. Why say "Washington" if they meant only Seattle?

I gather that Nissan is one of the sponsors of the EV Project, but has never committed to limiting its initial roll-out to EV Project areas. The EV Project makes EVs in its regions more versatile, but there is no logical reason why Nissan must limit itself to the areas chosen by the EV Project.

I sure wish Jessica would come on here and clarify that.

HOW ABOUT IT, JESSICA???

Her presence on this board is the reason I signed up. If she's going to hide, I won't have much reason to come here. Sorry if that sounds petty. But Nissan is being awfully stingy with information, and that does not reflect well on them, or inspire a lot of good will.
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

efusco

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:20 pm

daniel wrote:I'm hoping (as are many others) that the EV Project complements, but does not define, the initial roll-out. They never said Seattle was the market. They said Washington. You could very well be right. But they have never clarified that, and if after all it's only Seattle, I will feel that they were dishonest with us. Why say "Washington" if they meant only Seattle?

I gather that Nissan is one of the sponsors of the EV Project, but has never committed to limiting its initial roll-out to EV Project areas. The EV Project makes EVs in its regions more versatile, but there is no logical reason why Nissan must limit itself to the areas chosen by the EV Project.

I sure wish Jessica would come on here and clarify that.

HOW ABOUT IT, JESSICA???

Her presence on this board is the reason I signed up. If she's going to hide, I won't have much reason to come here. Sorry if that sounds petty. But Nissan is being awfully stingy with information, and that does not reflect well on them, or inspire a lot of good will.
Daniel,
I think Jessica probably gets paid by Nissan and works a 9-5 M-F job with weekends, holidays and 2 weeks paid vacation a year. I also suspect her job entails other duties besides hanging out at this little forum answering all of our random questions.

I think it's great that she's participating, but we have to be appreciative of the limits of both her time and on what she is allowed by Nissan to say.
Evan Fusco
2004 Prius Owner
2006 Highlander Hybrid Owner

Tesla Model S Reservation Holder
Nissan Leaf Reservation Holder

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:29 pm

The city-regions are listed for each of the 5 states.

Only San Diego in CA
Seattle in WA
3 (or 4) in Oregon
2 in AZ
3 in TN

I have not seen anything that would imply that any whole state would be allowed to buy anytime soon.

Sorry.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

mitch672

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 pm

garygid wrote:The city-regions are listed for each of the 5 states.

Only San Diego in CA
Seattle in WA
3 (or 4) in Oregon
2 in AZ
3 in TN

I have not seen anything that would imply that any whole state would be allowed to buy anytime soon.

Sorry.
Oh its spelled out EXACTLY what the 10 cities are:

"In the summer of 2010, charging infrastructure will be deployed in the following major population areas: Phoenix (AZ), Tucson (AZ), San Diego (CA), Portland (OR), Eugene (OR), Corvallis (OR), Seattle (WA), Nashville (TN), Knoxville (TN) and Chattanooga (TN). The Nissan LEAF will be available in those same areas in the fall of 2010 to consumers and fleets"

http://www.theevproject.com/overview.php

and I really do believe the December 2010 initial deployment will just be the 10 listed, this is a very large bet for Nissan, I don't think they want to take any chances on it not being succesful, even though many of us would be fine with just home charging in areas without public charging... It's also that their dealer network isn't fully trained accross all states yet either, so it's more than just public charging that is the issue.
2012 Advanced Plug in Prius (sold)
I Support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fuelly page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tesla Model S 85KW Dolphin Grey VIN: 03245, delivered 1/17/2013

garygid
Gold Member

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 pm

I agree.

In some place(s?), a 4th city is listed for Oregon.
I was too lazy to type the names, thanks.
2010 Prius

Gavin

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:48 pm

As for communication, heck Nissan has done a very good job for a car that is not yet available. The have a website they update quite often. They have Live Chat at that site (unheard of in my experience).

We know a price. We know an approximate release date. We know specs and...well we have a lot still to learn, but we know more about the LEAF than about any other car that isn't for sale yet.

We will likely get much more information over the next few months.

Maybe I'm just easy, but I was waiting for a different electric car for over 2 years. Waiting less than a year for a LEAF seems like nothing to me :).

Though of course I would like one yesterday. ;)

Gavin

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 pm

mitch672 wrote:
garygid wrote:The city-regions are listed for each of the 5 states.

Only San Diego in CA
Seattle in WA
3 (or 4) in Oregon
2 in AZ
3 in TN

Sorry.
Oh its spelled out EXACTLY what the 10 cities are:

"In the summer of 2010, charging infrastructure will be deployed in the following major population areas: Phoenix (AZ), Tucson (AZ), San Diego (CA), Portland (OR), Eugene (OR), Corvallis (OR), Seattle (WA), Nashville (TN), Knoxville (TN) and Chattanooga (TN). The Nissan LEAF will be available in those same areas in the fall of 2010 to consumers and fleets"

http://www.theevproject.com/overview.php

and I really do believe the December 2010 initial deployment will just be the 10 listed, this is a very large bet for Nissan, I don't think they want to take any chances on it not being succesful, even though many of us would be fine with just home charging in areas without public charging... It's also that their dealer network isn't fully trained accross all states yet either, so it's more than just public charging that is the issue.
Actually, regions would be a better description because a lot of people outside of AZ don't realize that when people say Phoenix (when they refer to population for instance, it really means ALL of the surrounding cities, including Phoenix proper), it doesn't necessarily mean JUST the city of Phoenix. There are several cities surrounding Phoenix, so I'm sure these are included in the initial rollout. For instance, I live in a fairly large city, but I'm ONLY about 4-5 miles from the Phoenix border, and our dealer said his dealership is going to be part of the initial rollout as Nissan is training two salespeople to handle the LEAF, plus the technicians to do the warranty work. I saw someone on here from Scottsale, AZ and that is the same thing...they are really close to Phoenix and I'm sure they will be included.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

garygid
Gold Member

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Yes, the city "area" is most likely correct.
One just does not know how far any specific area extends.
2010 Prius

Return to “Ask Nissan”