What is the prioritization for the Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efusco

So lots of people logged in and put down reservations, myself included. But I didn't get my e-mail until 2 hours after the first people started getting theirs. So even though I put my deposit down within seconds of getting it will I be behind all the people who got their email first and thus got to put down their deposit first??

Will you use the "interest" list as a marker for priority at all?

Will we be given any sort of priority number like Tesla has done for Model S reservers so you know exactly where you are on the production list as the vehicles roll out?

I got my confirmation email approximately 24 hours after making the charge card entry. I assume that the priority will go to the current roll out cities first, then the states that have rebates, then the most dense 'other' locations and finally the dispersed reservations. There is a great deal of logic in trying to roll out the first 5,000 to 10,000 in concentrated locales where they can be monitored and supported by a well trained and well supported dealer staff, and THEN rolling it out in phases over the rest of the country. Look at it from Nissan's viewpoint. It will only take a few bad stories, valid or not, to sink this puppy. They are going to want to control and monitor this very carefully. If you had $6 Billion in R&D and manufacturing costs on the line, you would as well.

Yes, this is something I'm sure everyone is interested in.

What exactly are we doing with this reservation ? Am I in a queue now ?

I'm in one of the December launch places (WA), how can I find out whether I can get the car this December ?

Priority list:
1) Me
2) Everyone else
Does that answer your question? :lol:

Actually, now you have me worried. I have my reservation number, but I never got any email. What email?

Dav said:
Priority list:
1) Me
2) Everyone else
Does that answer your question? :lol:

Actually, now you have me worried. I have my reservation number, but I never got any email. What email?
Several people never got an email. For some reason I got two!
But if you go to the Nissan Leaf site and login you should be able to see your reservation confirmation. If not (some people get a weird screen saying their reservation wasn't confirmed/completed) you should call the 800 number and directly confirm with a human that your confirmation went through. I'm sure that if you got your confirmation number you're fine, but the style over function choice that Nissan took with the web site has created a lot of problems and confusion and left a lot of people who wanted to reserve out in the cold.

It is my opinion, based on nothing but the apparent randomness of the confirmation numbers, and the fact that they are accepting deposits from people outside the roll-out markets, and the generally disorganized and badly-planned execution of the reservation process, that there is as yet no priority list. I strongly suspect that priority will not be determined until we are able to visit a dealer and place a confirmed order, which I think they said would happen in August. How they will deal with that can of worms is anyone's guess. I expect the car to be an excellent one, but the process of ordering it to be badly organized and frustrating in the extreme, as buyers and dealers scramble for a limited number of cars.

It seems that those living "in" the 10 (or 11) city rollout areas were offered (during Reservation) a chance to be considered for the initial test group (probably the first 5000 Leafs).

If you (like me) got no offer, that probably means you are outside the "test" area, drive too little to be useful, ... or some such.

Gary, since we do this at work a lot when tax jurisdictions change, what I imagine is several data entry clerks making minimum wage sitting at a terminal entering zip codes.

These qualify, these don't. And a poorly written javascript doing a look-up when you enter your address on the website. If your specific zip code is on the list, you see the special charger offer. Otherwise you don't.

I think the other things filled in were for "future determination of eligibility", not used during the sign-up process. The whole process was not organized well enough to think it was that sophisticated.

Yes, I also suspect simple "blessed" zip codes are being used at this point. Actual-address refinements might follow.

In any case, it was only "Do you want to be considered ... for the test ...".

It should be relatively easy to determine these zip codes.

Google:
San Diego, CA zip codes
921xx (most all valid codes from 01 to 99)

Phoenix, AZ zip codes
850xx (00 to 99)

Tucson, AZ zip codes
857xx (01 to 77)

I thought the "test group" and the "initial roll-out" were separate things, the former being a very small number of cars well before December, and the latter being a much larger number in December.

If the only people getting cars in December are those who were offered the opportunity to be in the "test group," and the others have to wait until the end of 2011, then they will lose me, because I expect to have something else by then. For that matter, if Spokane has to wait until the end of 2011 then they'll probably lose me. And perhaps it goes without saying that if any other freeway-capable 100-mile EV comes along before the Leaf comes to Spokane, then they'll lose me.

HEY JESSICA: Would you please clarify what cities will get the Leaf in 2010, and whether the "test group" and the December roll-out are the same or different? Thanks a bunch!

I asked the live chat about the rollout this morning. I was asked for my last name, zip code, and email. I live in San Diego, one of the roll-out cities. I was told that the availability in my area would be on first come-first served on the list. I asked when the list (or our position on it) might be known and was told "we don't have that information yet. When it is available, you will be notified via email."

Until I see the list and my name on it, anything is possible.

Jim

I have heard both August and December tossed about. I think Nissan is saying that starting in August they are going to figure out what they are doing and get the home inspection / charger installation process going. And by December will be delivering vehicles. I don't really think that at this time they know any better than we do what is going to happen when.

We all have a pretty good idea where though, in a general vague way! :lol:

Dav said:
I don't really think that at this time they know any better than we do what is going to happen when.

I'm sure they have a pretty good idea. Even 100K projects would have such project plans - let alone billion $ ones. That does't mean things don't change - for eg. how does Volt release date moving up affect Leaf dates ?

not sure if this means anything, but there was a segment on CNNW about a demo of the Leaf in Portland that gave the impression that the Leaf would be available "later this year". i wonder if the Volt release in October has gotten Nissan thinking about pushing the timetable a bit?

On the latest Leaf presentation (March 2010), they show the Leaf wll be availble in all 50 states by the end of 2011, I don't think they can move that up any faster than that.

I believe I read that Leaf production begins in September. That sounded about right to me, by the time they get the first cars built and shipped over here from Japan, I could see it being September. And I would also expect about 1,000 cars in each of the 5 rollout areas in December from what I've read...

mitch672 said:
On the latest Leaf presentation (March 2010), they show the Leaf wll be availble in all 50 states by the end of 2011, I don't think they can move that up any faster than that.

Where is this presentation?

Edit: Nevermind, found it: http://www.mwcog.org/uploads/committee-documents/a15ZXF5X20100316100552.pdf

Back