sjfotos
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: 0 - 60

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Not sure this is accurate, but according to this story, the 0-60 mph time is about 8 seconds...

http://www.optoiq.com/index/lasers-for- ... 14327.html
Forum Supporter

Steve in PA
Reserved 4/20/2010, Forgotten in Pennsylvania

daniel

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:34 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Won't repeated hard acceleration stress the battery pack, generating more heat? I was under the impression the way to get the most life out of the battery was to baby it... slow charging, slow discharging. That's how it always worked with my RC cars!
Repeated, yes. But you want to have the torque available when it's needed. That may be only when entering the freeway, in which case there is no appreciable stress on the batteries, but it makes the car a lot safer than if you can never get up to 60 in less than 15 seconds!
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:42 pm

In CA, we often have to merge with 70 mph traffic.
Yes, even where the speed limit is 65 mph.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

KarenRei

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Re, energy used for hard accel:

1) Motor efficiency varies, and it's hard to make any generalizations. Depending on the situation, a high torque accel may actually be *more* efficient than a slow one. Or less. You need the brake-specific energy consumption data for the powertrain.
2) Battery pack efficiency does drop with increased currents, but for li-ion, that drop is very small.
3) In terms of energy used, the laws of physics don't care whether you go from 0-60 in 2 seconds or 20 -- excepting that in 2 seconds, you'll have 18 more seconds of the sort of aerodynamic drag you get at high speeds ;)

So really, sharp accel should have minimal impact on your net energy consumption in a li-ion EV (lead-acid being a different story). Now, when it comes to *braking*, that's altogether different. Even with regen, you still want to minimize how often you brake. So if accelerating hard means you'll also be braking more, than *that* will hurt your range. But accelerating hard then coasting down? Don't worry about it. :)

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:21 pm

sjfotos wrote:Not sure this is accurate, but according to this story, the 0-60 mph time is about 8 seconds...

http://www.optoiq.com/index/lasers-for- ... 14327.html
Wow! That was one of the best articles I've read so far. Thanks! :)
2.5L V6 is sooo cool! I don't think my Toyota Celica GT-S could do 0-60 in 8 sec...that was a 2.2L DOHC 4...more like around 10-11 prob. I'm really going to enjoy passing all the Priuses! LOL
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

scottsim

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:37 pm

[quote2.5L V6 is sooo cool! I don't think my Toyota Celica GT-S could do 0-60 in 8 sec...that was a 2.2L DOHC 4...more like around 10-11 prob. I'm really going to enjoy passing all the Priuses! LOL[/quote]

You may pass me, but I will catch you down the road if we are going any distance above 70-100mi . I have a 10KWh PHEV Prius. Range anywhere from 700-1000mi. http://www.smilingdogsranch.com/prius blog.

Still the Leaf has its place, as the first full-scale, reasonably-priced, production EV and though it has limited range, as the infrastructure improves we will learn to deal with it.

Dav

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:41 pm

Remember too that all this is done electronically. What the car is theoretically capable of may not be how Nissan releases it.

The RAV4-EV was intended for fleet use more than general population, so this is not likely to happen to the Leaf - but when first released the drivers were getting such a kick out of spinning the tires that Toyota was requested to force slower acceleration. It ended up being rated 0-60 in 16 seconds with a 50kW motor.

daniel

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:44 am

KarenRei wrote:Re, energy used for hard accel:

1) Motor efficiency varies, and it's hard to make any generalizations. Depending on the situation, a high torque accel may actually be *more* efficient than a slow one. Or less. You need the brake-specific energy consumption data for the powertrain.
2) Battery pack efficiency does drop with increased currents, but for li-ion, that drop is very small.
3) In terms of energy used, the laws of physics don't care whether you go from 0-60 in 2 seconds or 20 -- excepting that in 2 seconds, you'll have 18 more seconds of the sort of aerodynamic drag you get at high speeds ;)

So really, sharp accel should have minimal impact on your net energy consumption in a li-ion EV (lead-acid being a different story). Now, when it comes to *braking*, that's altogether different. Even with regen, you still want to minimize how often you brake. So if accelerating hard means you'll also be braking more, than *that* will hurt your range. But accelerating hard then coasting down? Don't worry about it. :)
This runs counter to my experience with my Zap Xebra and also counter to my experience with my electric Porsche (during the short time I was driving it -- long story). Flooring the go pedal does seem to shorten range if it is done frequently. My point above was that if you have the capability you need not use it, but if you lack the capability you can never do it.

If I want to drive the Xebra close to its range limit, I must drive very gently. But when I am not concerned about range, because I'm going to drive a shorter distance, I can floor it. And if I floor it once or twice when conditions make that desirable, it has minimal effect on range.
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

efusco

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 am

Dav wrote:Remember too that all this is done electronically. What the car is theoretically capable of may not be how Nissan releases it.
Exactly. Assuming that the available power and capability of the motor can give you a 0-60 of 8 sec., Nissan's testing might show that "normal" drivers tend to accelerate hard enough that it has a negative impact on real world range. Negative press about range could kill this car before it gets started. If reports start surfacing of people running out of juice at 60 miles Nissan will have a serious problem after "promising" 100 mile range.

So, if they govern the acceleration rate to 'encourage' drivers to drive more conservatively and thus are better able to stretch the range close to the 100 mile mark that's one issue they don't have to worry about.

I think it'll be a balancing act...and others here may be right that 15 seconds is too long, but 12 seconds or so may be where the compromise comes. It really depends upon what Nissan decides to do I think.
Evan Fusco
2004 Prius Owner
2006 Highlander Hybrid Owner

Tesla Model S Reservation Holder
Nissan Leaf Reservation Holder

sjfotos

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 am

This is one of the reasons that the whole electric / software combination is so much better than the previous mechanical solutions. Nissan can much more easily adjust some of these parameters as they gain information -- much easier than trying to upgrade gear ratios and Engine Control Modules even in current internal combustion models. Yes, there are physical limits inherent in the physical structure of the components, but they are much more easily adjusted, at least at the margins.
Forum Supporter

Steve in PA
Reserved 4/20/2010, Forgotten in Pennsylvania

Return to “Ask Nissan”