ITestStuff
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 406200

How do I mark all posts as read/view only new posts?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm familiar with internet forums, but can't seem to figure out the way to track new posts here.

Start here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Choose "Mark Forums Read"
Get "The selected forums have been marked read." message, then the page refreshes.
All forums indicate that there are no new posts.
Click on "view new posts"

Expected behavior:
Some message like "there are no new posts"

Actual behavior:
I see 9 pages of posts listed (though they all show up as "no unread posts").

What I want to do is get a view that shows me only the threads where there have been new posts since my last visit.

Is there a way to do that?

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: How do I mark all posts as read/view only new posts?

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Beats me. I never even noticed "Mark Forums Read" until you mentioned it. :o :oops:

I posted what I do to keep up w/threads here at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Some others have shared their practices for keeping up. Maybe one of those methods will be suitable, even if they don't produce the exact behavior you want?

From your post and your handle, I'm guessing you test software. :mrgreen: That was my previous occupation.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ebill3
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7964

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Go to the upper right corner of the page. Click on "View new posts". Does that do what you want to do? Works for me.
All electric - red LEAF, green Tesla S. No ICE.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 am

I just view active posts. When I get to the first that I have previously read I stop.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 am

i use a marker :lol: , after i go to view active posts.

there are plenty that i dont read, as they seem to go off in odd directions.
at least the gun-nut post has not surfaced in awhile.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

davewill

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 am

Choose "view active posts". Since it is sorted by the newest post, you just scan down until you find the oldest thread that has unread posts, and start your way up.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

ITestStuff
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 406200

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 am

cwerdna wrote:From your post and your handle, I'm guessing you test software. :mrgreen: That was my previous occupation.
Good guess :mrgreen:

Thanks for the link to the other thread, I'll review those options.

Still...I'd say the way that it works here is a bug. The behavior is unlike anything I've seen on other message boards. Not a fan of the lack of multi-quote functionality either (or if it exists, it isn't obvious), but maybe I'm one of the few people that actually use it.

GreenPowerDP
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 4417

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 am

I'm a software guy, and have tried to figure out the unread post features of this forum and have given up due to the odd behavior mentioned in previous posts.

My solution is an RSS plug-in to Chrome. It will load all of the unread message headers without loading the pages, and I can then click on the link to go to the page if the topic looks interesting, or click a box to mark a thread as read without actually going to the page.
2011 Leaf SL-E: Cayenne Red
AeroVironment L2 Home Charging Doc
SolarCity 3.75 kW PV

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:47 pm

ITestStuff wrote:
cwerdna wrote:From your post and your handle, I'm guessing you test software. :mrgreen: That was my previous occupation.
Not a fan of the lack of multi-quote functionality either (or if it exists, it isn't obvious), but maybe I'm one of the few people that actually use it.
What do you mean by multi-quote? What I just did above? That happens automatically, or you can manage it yourself using nested quote tags. Perhaps you mean what I've done below, which you can do by starting a second reply, then cut and paste into the first. Or (what I often do) copy/paste from the original post, click the Quote button, and add ="xxx" to the opening quote tag manually:
davewill wrote:Choose "view active posts". Since it is sorted by the newest post, you just scan down until you find the oldest thread that has unread posts, and start your way up.
I always use "View active topics", along with the "Last visit" information at the top of every page. I scroll and/or page through the active list until I get to that time, and work up from there.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:56 pm

^^^
Re: multi-quote, some other forum software like vBulletin has lets you click buttons with a + and " in them that lets you tag multiple posts that you want to quote. They get quoted automatically when you reply.

Over here, I used to manually reply, copy/paste into notepad, reply to another, copy/paste, etc. into my final message. It was a pain... until I discovered (and hopefully remember) that you can click Reply, you can scroll thru the old messages in the bottom part and click the quote button on the ones you want to quote. It's not very discoverable and I've seen no other software that does it this way.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”