cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

SQL errors when trying to post Sudden Unintended Acceleratio

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm

Whenever I tried to include "Sudden Unintended Acceleration" (w/o quotes) in my reply at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p278299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I get this dumb error.
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x80\x8E) f...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Any idea of the cause? I can't expand that TLA w/o triggering the error and my post/edit not going thru.

Of course, now it doesn't repro anymore. It was very strange... I tried a whole bunch of edits and every time I put in Sudden Unintended Acceleration, it'd give me an error. If I removed it, it'd be ok.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Re: SQL errors when trying to post Sudden Unintended Acceler

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 pm

ImageYes, the forum DB barfs on apostrophes and some other punctuation characters. In this particular case, look for decorative quotation marks, and replace them with plain ones (ASCII 34 (dec)):

cwerdna

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Weird. I didn't have any quotes in my other post. I did have Sudden Unintended Acceleration in parentheses though. It would barf w/that phrase even w/o the ().

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Interesting. Did you copy any of that text? The site apparently runs MySQL with UTF-8 encoding. The error you quoted would be indicative of a problem converting Windows CP1252 (Latin 1) to UTF-8. What encoding is your browser set to, would you know?

cwerdna

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 pm

My browser's set to Unicode (UTF-8). I had copied some text from Google query that brought up a snippet a Wikipedia entry.

I think you hit the nail on the head!

The query was https://www.google.com/search?q=audi+60 ... =firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and I was copying the "Jump to..." stuff. Trying to copy and paste the part past that causes the board to blow up.

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”