cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Should politics/hot button issues be banned/segregated?

Mon May 13, 2013 1:05 am

One one forum I'm on, political discussion is banned. As one can see here, such topics can get out of control and people can get very emotional. Some folks end up resorting to insults and name calling.

Over there, I think there was gun control/debate thread (I think it was a thread that originally started after one of the recent shooting massacres) that quickly got out of hand and got locked. People still do talk about guns, I think (e.g. "Got Guns--Show em!!") but I think they just steer clear of the political aspects...

On another, there's dedicated area for politics, war, religion and race. I think they used to each have their own area, before being merged.

On Priuschat, there's a restricted area for political discussion. One has to ask for access. Some threads that become too political get moved there. I've never asked for access and don't care to.

Anyone think we should do something like that for political/hot button issues (e.g. gun control)?

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

AndyH

Re: Should politics/hot button issues be banned/segregated?

Mon May 13, 2013 8:40 am

At the very least, I think we should move those into a 'cesspool' type section of the forum that are not indexed by search engines. At least that way when someone visits and slings mud it doesn't reflect negatively on the entire site.

I also think it's very important as this site matures that the mods define guidelines for temporary and/or permanent banning - and then decide to follow those guidelines.
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Mon May 13, 2013 8:49 am

isolating these types of topics is becoming more common and I think its a good idea. having another layer of "screening" of sorts is a good idea. as far a Priuschats Political group, I have no interest in it either. the discussions usually run their course in the first 10-15 comments but each nevertheless has post counts in the hundreds if not thousands!
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apvbguy
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2013

Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 am

on another forum that I use, they have segregated the politic talk into a password protected sub forum.
what this does is that it keeps out the easily offended and allows in only those who care to discuss the more volatile subjects.

EVs are still not in the mainstream, still can be a hot button political issue and the EV world does not exist in a vacuum where politics does not exist, so banning all political discussions would seem to be opposed to the exchanging of ideas and the sharing of information.

all that said, I don't believe it is anyone's call if political talk be banished, that is a decision that only the owners of this board can make.
WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Mon May 13, 2013 11:49 am

Hell, I'd be happy if the people would just STAY on topic.
If the title of the thread is Glow-in-the-Dark J1772 socket's, I don't want to wade through 50 posts about a "clickin noise" is the left rear fermion coupling?
I'm easy to please.

Actually, I Would Read a post about glow in the dark J1772 sockets :P
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

JimSouCal

Mon May 13, 2013 1:18 pm

I've made a conscious effort to avoid the troll overtures... The FUD dispersal showing as a "concern"...

Some appearing of the guise of looking for more info about a controversial aspect, using the bark louder argument, etc. It's been tempting to join in, but time has shown me that just letting it go is the best strategy.

But I don't think anything should be banned, but rather segregated... It is very important, me thinks, to try and understand the thought process of an individual that conflicts with your understanding of reality--even to the point you could argue the side you disagree with in a debate..

Also, one never knows, those who are practical and rational can be convinced to change their minds... Rare but it does happen... :shock:

Fredr500
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2012

Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 pm

That's what the Off Topic section is for. If you just want to talk Leaf, stay away from it.

If it is a topic you aren't interested in, don't read it.

Why does everyone feel they have to push their way of thinking?

I follow a gun forum, they have an off-topic area that people talk about cars. No one complains, they just follow the above rules.

People are here because they care about Leafs. So we have a collection of people that have a common bond. The off-topic area gives us a chance to talk to our "friends" about something else for a change. This is just like a gathering of any topic-based group (sports, school, car, computer user, etc), there is a common bond but if that was all you talked about it could get boring quickly. If someone ran around the party telling everyone they were off topic and needed to go back to the main topic, people wouldn't stick around.

This is no different.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Mon May 13, 2013 2:40 pm

better moderators?
no--the same ones with a better set of rules.

everything isnt OK or bad just because it comes from somebody with a dissident viewpoint. there are lines you can cross with vile and challenging personal invective.
and bad language is bad language. and a troll is a troll, and we have a few, who also have a schizo personality and post legitimately from time to time.
bans are appropriate. certainly time outs.

there are bad actors who can be yellow and/or red carded by the moderators without it being censorship. they know unsporting behavior when it happens.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

GlennD
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Mon May 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Off topic is just that. Ignore the topics with no resolve. I am not pro or anti-gun but any reasonable person should see a gun discussion on a greenish site will never be resolved.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

ITestStuff
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 406200

Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Fredr500 wrote:That's what the Off Topic section is for. If you just want to talk Leaf, stay away from it.
I would, but it shows up in the "view new posts" view.

If the mods/admins have the ability to do it, they should not let anything in the "off topic" forum into that feed. Or maybe provide options that allow users to hide certain forums (I know some software offers that).

That'll cut down on the people that are randomly subjected to this crap.

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”