cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Should politics/hot button issues be banned/segregated?

Tue May 14, 2013 12:11 am

^^^
On the above, I vote that Off-Topic stays in the "feed" or that an option be provided. I depend on "View active topics" to keep up w/posts here.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveEV

Tue May 14, 2013 12:16 am

Isn't that what Off-Topic is for?

Personally, once a thread jumps the shark I am very inclined to move it to OT as by that point it very likely has little to do with other categories. Sometimes I'll split the thread, but it's a pain to do. I rarely have seen other moderators make the effort.

As far as filtering - there's only a couple active threads which get "testy".

I guess we could mark "Off-topic" as hidden from "View active topics" - but then what do we do about civil Off-Topic threads?

ITestStuff
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 406200

Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 am

drees wrote:I guess we could mark "Off-topic" as hidden from "View active topics" - but then what do we do about civil Off-Topic threads?
You could consider splitting political threads into one forum, other OT stuff in the other forum. Perhaps only the political stuff is filtered from the "view new posts" list.

DaveEV

Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 am

ITestStuff wrote:
drees wrote:I guess we could mark "Off-topic" as hidden from "View active topics" - but then what do we do about civil Off-Topic threads?
You could consider splitting political threads into one forum, other OT stuff in the other forum. Perhaps only the political stuff is filtered from the "view new posts" list.
That's a good idea right there - and have the Politics / Hot-topics a sub-forum of Off-topic...

Done:

Politics & Other Controversial Topics

Started off by moving the gun thread there - reply other potential threads here.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue May 14, 2013 1:20 am

drees wrote:Isn't that what Off-Topic is for?
FWIW, on the forum I'm on where political discussion is banned, it's actually Tivocommunity.com. RonDawg "knows" me from there. :) (We've never actually met, in person.) The "Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat" which is the main Off Topic area has ballooned to be WAY more active than ANY discussion about TiVo w/over 83K threads and 3.3 million posts. I'm pretty sure this doesn't include a ton of stuff that has been moved to an archive server. TiVo-related discussion is just a whimper compared to Happy Hour. Some folks don't even have TiVos anymore.

I just realized I made a slight mistake about being banned. Apparently, it is banned in the Happy Hour area (and everywhere else on that site) but is allowed in a paid members area. I don't pay and I don't care to discuss politics online anyway.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Fredr500
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2012

Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 am

drees wrote:
ITestStuff wrote:
That's a good idea right there - and have the Politics / Hot-topics a sub-forum of Off-topic...

Done:

Politics & Other Controversial Topics

Started off by moving the gun thread there - reply other potential threads here.
Please tell me these will still show up in New Posts, or there is a way to turn that on.

kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

Wed May 15, 2013 10:00 am

I vote for off topic posts not being removed from "view active topics". An active topic is an active topic, even if it's something I may not be emotionally mature enough to process. :shock:
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016

DaveEV

Wed May 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Fredr500 wrote:Please tell me these will still show up in New Posts, or there is a way to turn that on.
You can subscribe to the sub-forum or threads you are interested in if you wish to follow them.
kubel wrote:I vote for off topic posts not being removed from "view active topics". An active topic is an active topic, even if it's something I may not be emotionally mature enough to process. :shock:
See above.

Unfortunately there are too many people who can't remain civil in the regular forum space, this will give people an easy way to filter/subscribe to those areas if they wish.

ITestStuff
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 406200

Fri May 31, 2013 7:38 pm

I see the topics showing up again when I "view new posts". Have you undone this change?

DaveEV

Fri May 31, 2013 10:53 pm

ITestStuff wrote:I see the topics showing up again when I "view new posts". Have you undone this change?
Negative, I don't have that problem, but then again I always use View active topics not View new posts. Can anyone else confirm?

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”