LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13218
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 am

A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:41 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 am
I am a scientist by profession
.
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A social worker, iIRC. Or was it a "psychologist" ?
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

powersurge
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 am

I really don't care what you guys think. On this site, I often like to make controversial statements to shake the tree, and you seem to love to demean other's ideas. It would be so simple to just either say, "Mmm Interesting ideas", or just let it pass without commenting...

I see that you are both closed minded people who do not allow alternate free thinking. You appear to like your ingrained opinions.

I DO object to the fact that you think you have the authority to criticize or even knock down other people's opinions, no matter how unusual or different they may be.

That is, you have very poor social skills, and the other members should be aware of this. :)

Oilpan4
Gold Member
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 am
I really don't care what you guys think. On this site, I often like to make controversial statements to shake the tree, and you seem to love to demean other's ideas. It would be so simple to just either say, "Mmm Interesting ideas", or just let it pass without commenting...

I see that you are both closed minded people who do not allow alternate free thinking. You appear to like your ingrained opinions.

I DO object to the fact that you think you have the authority to criticize or even knock down other people's opinions, no matter how unusual or different they may be.

That is, you have very poor social skills, and the other members should be aware of this. :)
Don't let someone who burns natural gas for home heat lecture you on environmentalism.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO
Location: 88103

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 am
On this site, I often like to make controversial statements
As in, calling yourself a "scientist? "
Or spouting FUD ?
Or spouting BS ?

Do not expect that crap to pass without comment.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 am

Oilpan4 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 am
Don't let someone who burns natural gas for home heat lecture you on environmentalism.
I'll let you in on a dirty secret: that person also exhales CO2 when they breathe.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5387
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 am
...Do not be fooled by the media's red herring of "climate change", as that is their attempt to have license for the government to control us. ...
Is that an evidence-based opinion?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

powersurge
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:56 am

Nubo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 am
powersurge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 am
...Do not be fooled by the media's red herring of "climate change", as that is their attempt to have license for the government to control us. ...
Is that an evidence-based opinion?
No, but I know that the low hanging fruit of petroleum has been depleted. In the next 50 years, petroleum consumption will continue to increase exponentially, and cheap petroleum will disappear. At that point we will be be squeezing every drop of oil from tar sands for mucho $$$.

iPlug
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016
Location: Rocklin, CA

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 am

That’s not how supply and demand works.

Low hanging fruit has not been exhausted. We can see that in the price of oil these days.

Although most people do not give the environment serious consideration nor other external costs, they are quite sensitive to their internal costs.

Therefore as carbon free/renewable energy source prices and storage continue to expand and become more competitive, and when/if the price of oil increases to the consumer, the consumers will ultimately make the right choice based on their own economics.

However unfortunately that day is not quite yet here. Some are getting it already.
'19 Model 3 SR+ (own), '19 Leaf SV (leased), '12 Plug-in Prius (sold 3/19), '16 Leaf SV (prior lease), 11.43kW Solar PV (16MWh/yr real production), 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source heat pump, 3.70 UEF heat pump water heater, Induction Cooktop

WetEV
Posts: 3131
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Costs of Climate Change Denial Start to Roll In

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:56 am

powersurge wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:56 am
Nubo wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 am
powersurge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 am
...Do not be fooled by the media's red herring of "climate change", as that is their attempt to have license for the government to control us. ...
Is that an evidence-based opinion?
No, but I know that the low hanging fruit of petroleum has been depleted. In the next 50 years, petroleum consumption will continue to increase exponentially, and cheap petroleum will disappear. At that point we will be be squeezing every drop of oil from tar sands for mucho $$$.
Ok, I'll follow the red herring.
Conventional petroleum can be cheap, $3 per barrel, can be more depending on details. Offshore, smaller fields and such raise costs a lot.

Unconventional petroleum:
For $30 per barrel or more, "Tight oil" requires things like horizontal drilling and fracturing. There is about twice to four times as much "tight oil" as conventional oil.

Put an actual cost on tar sands: about $60 per barrel, can be more depending on details.

Also consider the cost of coal to liquids. About $150, again more depending on details. Enough coal for thousands of years at current rates, and many hundreds of years even with continued growth.

$6 gasoline doesn't end civilization, but it would make EVs a lot more attractive.

Climate change might end civilization.

Blaming climate change on the Chinese or the media is just lame.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”