What to do when Wall outlet is installed upside down

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bardolater

I had an electrician install the outlet for charging our 2019 Nissan leaf SL plus at home. But the outlet was installed upside down which means the charging box cannot be mounted below the wall outlet. Currently the unitnis mounted to the left of the outlet, which means the short cord is bent at a90° angle. Is this a bad problem to have or not a big deal?

It isn't difficult to re orient the outlet so it is "right side up" but the electrician should do it if you have no experience with that. I assume that this is a 240 volt outlet. If it's 120, for now you can plug a heavy duty power strip into the outlet, and the EVSE into the strip.

If it is the stiff AWG 6 wiring it could be difficult if the box is on the "small" side and the receptacle is on the "large" side and the excess wiring in the box is too little (or too much even). Some 14-50R receptacle designs are good heavy duty quality, but can be harder to install or harder to install in one orientation than another, usually depending on where the wires enter the box.

As long as the wire is not under undue stress to make the 90 degree turn then it will be fine indefinitely.
Otherwise turn the breaker off and rotate the connector.

Have you tried contacting the electrician & inform said person that the job was intended specifically for an EVSE & the job was not finished correctly & you need the outlet oriented correctly.

TBH said electrician almost certainly had the ability to view the EVSE cable plug & should have correctly oriented the outlet initially. I do this type of electrical work for a specific industry & would gladly come back on my dime to correct what amounts to faulty workmanship had I performed this job for you

@HerdingElectrons: I told the electrician my concern and they came out and rotated the outlet at no charge. Thanks for the tip!

Back