2017 Leaf makes a clunking noise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina5270

I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf and while it is parked and turned off in the garage, every now and then it make a dull clunking sound. Is this anything to be concerned about?

I'm guessing it could be a periodic checking or charging of the 12v battery, from the traction battery?
Is the car plugged in when you hear the clunking? not that it would make a difference but it might help for troubleshooting.

Sometimes the ABS system will cycle itself during cold startups. This makes a groaning clunking sound from the front of the car for a few seconds. This is a normal occasional sound.

I've never heard my 2017 make those sort of noises but a few things come to mind...as mentioned, it could be a relay switching on/off for some reason, eg to charge the 12V battery. Another possibility would be some sort of thermal shift as parts cool. I don't know what could get hot enough to cause that but on an ICE car it's not uncommon for the muffler, etc to pop occasionally as it cools and contracts.

I just witnessed it when I was working in the garage today. Some clunking sounds, with only the third, blue dash charge light flashing (car unplugged). Perfectly normal operation--it's just adding some charge to the 12V battery, as mentioned.

I imagine that in order to run the DC-DC converter to add charge to the 12 volt battery, then the main contactors have to close. That probably is the source of the sound.

LeftieBiker said:
I imagine that in order to run the DC-DC converter to add charge to the 12 volt battery, then main contactors have to close. That probably is the source of the sound.

That sounds feasible. When I totally kill the power when wait for the wife to get off from work I hear sounds sometimes and just assumed it is a relay that is unloading, etc.

Back