CHARGING A Nissan Leaf ON THE ISLAND OF MONTSERRAT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montserrat

HELPPPPPP!!!!!!! I have A 2013 Nissan Leaf which I purchased in Atlanta,Georgia and brought to the Caribbean island of Montserrat. Montserrat, however, is a British territory that uses standard 240V 50hz 3 prong British outlets. Now my home has a transformer that brings down the British 240v power to U.S 110v 60hz outlets- and that is where I plug my Nissan leaf charger into today. What I would like to know is if I purchase a Nissan leaf charger made for the British market that plugs into a British 240v 3 prong outlet- Will my Nissan leaf experience any electrical problems, especially with the differences in 50hz and 60hz ??

If I can use a British spec Nissan leaf charger- I think I can split my charging time in half- and not worry about trying to install a U.S 220v dryer outlet with a third party charger. Make sense?
Hope someone can help!!
# LovingLeafLife

You're talking about EVSEs. For L1 and L2 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car. For all '13 to current Leafs, charger is under the hood.

Please see planet4ever's diagram at https://web.archive.org/web/20150619074649/http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630. The external unit (possible a cable w/J1772 handle + a plug) for AC charging is an EVSE.

Can you confirm that public charging works for you ok? Isn't it 60 hz over in Montserrat?

As for 50 vs 60 hz, I'd think the car could handle it since I don't think Nissan would want to have different on-board chargers depending on which part of the world it's sold in. OBC should be able to handle 100 volts to 240 volts. (It's 100 volts in Japan and part of Japan is at 50 hz while the other part is 60 hz). I can't speak to whether a UK EVSE (50 hz?) would work fine at 60 hz. If it doesn't so say on the label, I'd say no.

Homes in the US can have 240 volts. A lot of commercial power in the US is 208 volts. Almost all my Leaf charging is at ~208 volts.

Just get an British spec EVSE from Nissan or a 3rd-party. The car will charge just fine. There are plenty of US-spec Leafs in Norway which also have 220V 50Hz, and they only need the proper EVSE. The car itself doesn't need any modifications.

You're talking about EVSEs. For L1 and L2 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car. For all '13 to current Leafs, charger is under the hood.

cwerda!! Thanks so much for your reply. Ill have to check further with the Hz. I do believe its 60hz tho!

Kaiat!! Are you absolutely sure those are U.S spec Leafs in Norway??? Don't they get them straight from England??? Id really love to know because that may be my ultimate answer!! :D

Japan has 60hz power down south and 50hz up north, so Nissan is well aware of this problem.
They were smart and designed the differences in voltages and frequencies to be handled by the evse.
You should be able to find a universal evse that will do 220 to 240v on 50 and 60 hz and just put the right plug on it.

Montserrat said:

cwerda!! Thanks so much for your reply. Ill have to check further with the Hz. I do believe its 60hz tho!

Kaiat!! Are you absolutely sure those are U.S spec Leafs in Norway??? Don't they get them straight from England??? Id really love to know because that may be my ultimate answer!! :D

The cars sold through official Nissan-dealers come from UK. However, due to the demand for EVs in Norway, many have imported secondhand Leafs from US. These are obviously US-spec.

Apart from warranty-issues (Nissan Norway do not want anything to do with these US-Leafs) and some part-compatibility issues (apparently some parts like brake pads have different part numbers, but not really sure what the difference is), the cars work just fine.

The original EVSE to the car will not work on our grid (220V, 50Hz), and will therefor be swapped out for a EU-spec EVSE - usually a third-party one.

Back