kugr
Delivery Date: 06 May 2020

Re: New battery recommendation for my 2015 Nissan Leaf

Sun May 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the replies! When you leave the battery disconnected where do you guys store the battery.
Also how do you make sure that you do not lose the settings (presets/clock) when you disconnect and reconnect the battery later. Is it possible to not lose the settings when you do not have a trickle charger.

GerryAz - No I did not leave the car plugged in or had anything connected to the OBDII port.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue May 26, 2020 9:08 pm

I never disconnect the battery when I park for extended time. I just make sure to turn the car off, remove the Bluetooth adapter from the OBDII port, lock the doors, and leave it sit. I suspect your telematics unit locked up and drained your battery when you were not driving your car.

Others have noted issues with Optima batteries after manufacturing was moved to Mexico, but I continue to have good service from them. I wish I could have kept the one that was in the 2011 after it was totaled because it was fine and would have made a good jumper battery. The one in the 2015 was manufactured in Mexico and doing fine after almost 2 years when I traded the car for the 2019. I plan to put a new one in the 2019 as soon as the OEM either shows weakness or starts gassing enough to cause corrosion under the hood. I recently put a new red top Optima starting battery in my Jeep Comanche because I killed the one that was in it which was over 2 years old--vehicle was parked in a location where I could neither disconnect the battery nor put a charger on it so the small drain from the electronics completely discharged the battery and it sat that way for almost a year. I was not surprised that it would not take enough charge to start the engine even though it took enough charge to light the lights.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks for the replies! When you leave the battery disconnected where do you guys store the battery.
Also how do you make sure that you do not lose the settings (presets/clock) when you disconnect and reconnect the battery later. Is it possible to not lose the settings when you do not have a trickle charger.
If you disconnect the battery you just leave it in place - it's fine sitting there unhooked. Just make sure the positive cable is safely placed away from the positive terminal of the battery. You will lose the memory settings, though. The safest thing to do is use a battery maintainer. The next best thing is to do what Gerry suggests: make sure there is nothing in the OBDII port and just leave the car. It will most likely keep the 12 volt battery adequately charged, if not fully charged.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Wed May 27, 2020 3:40 am

Disconnect the negative.
That way when you are connecting or disconnecting the battery if you accidentally make contact with with any metal surface it doesn't arc your wrench and potentially fry something.
Touch something when disconnecting the negative, nothing happens.
What's the advantage to disconnecting the positive?
trumpvirus
Is going to get you.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Wed May 27, 2020 4:25 am

Oilpan4 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:40 am
Disconnect the negative.
That way when you are connecting or disconnecting the battery if you accidentally make contact with with any metal surface it doesn't arc your wrench and potentially fry something.
Touch something when disconnecting the negative, nothing happens.
What's the advantage to disconnecting the positive?
Agreed, it's not like in a house where if you just disconnected the neutral someone could get a shock from earth ground to the hot, a battery is self-contained and not bonded to earth ground so you'd get no power from earth ground to the hot side of the battery. Same reason I like to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery first, even if your metal wrench touches the metal of the car, you won't get a spark.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

EVBattery
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2020

TM system malfunction

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:24 pm

I've had this failure several times. The 12 volt battery seemed to be the issue. I replaced the battery and the problem stopped. After i got a bluetooth code reader for my Leaf spy monitor and left it in, I had the problem again. So I got a USB battery power bank with 12 volt starting output, and it gets me through when this problem happens due to my leaving in the code reader (My bad). Now if I need to jump start somebody I can without loading my own battery! Also I have a Power Bank that can fast charge my cell phone! Win, Win, Win!

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”