Nissan Ariya to be announced for the JDM July 15, 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

Mark Your Calendars for July 15th for the world-wide announcement of the Ariya. Expect the US launch in late Q1/CY21

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-ariya-electric-crossover-debut-july-15

ariya-concept-electric-suv.jpg.ximg.l_full_h.smart.jpg

Nailed it! ;)

It will be interesting to see if I was right about them adding a Base FWD version, to replace the Leaf. I'm not predicting it, mind you, and I have no knowledge of it happening - I'm no longer involved with Nissan - but I'm guessing that it will happen at some point, maybe next year...

I hope this launch will let them bring down Leaf Prices to make it a little more competitive and reduce the discounts on the car. If base Leaf started at $24,900 and Leaf Plus at $29,900 they would pick up many more buyers.

Well I personally don't like the looks of it, too much like a bubble, kind of like the early Nissan Marano? which I often heard referred to as a jelly bean car.Besides it looks like it must have a super tiny trunk area, I mean look how short the area is behind the rear doors!
BTW the link in the OP doesn't work for me........well it says I have to disable my ABP to see anything.....no thanks!

OrientExpress said:
For now, the vehicle will only be offered as AWD, and Nissan has indicated that the LEAF will continue in the product line.

Nissan recently released a list - with photos - of the 12 cars they will continue to produce. The Ariya was on that list, and the Leaf wasn't. How sure are you of your source?

Somebody linked to a still photo a couple of weeks ago, IIRC. At the moment the evidence that the Leaf won't continue is just its absence from their promos. Not conclusive, but I'm pretty sure there was also a short piece with a list of the vehicles they will continue to produce. Ariya: present. Leaf: absent.

Nissan Next is a teaser for new and refreshed vehicles for the near term. It is not a statement about vehicles that will no longer be produced.

Nissan will introduce eight full-electric vehicles under their midterm plan, and 12 new models globally in the next 18 months.

I searched around a bit, and it appears that OE is right: the Leaf is NOT being discontinued. The following Nissan models will be going away:

Discontinued Models:

Nissan 200SX
Nissan 240SX
Nissan 300ZX
Nissan 350Z
Nissan Altima Hybrid
Nissan Cube
Nissan Juke
Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet
Nissan Murano Hybrid
Nissan NV Cargo
Nissan NV Passenger
Nissan NX
Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid
Nissan Pickup
Nissan Quest

https://www.cars.com/research/nissan/

I had no idea that they still made the 240SX. In Europe, maybe...?

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/10/2021-nissan-ariya-electric-crossover-teaser-video/ has a teaser video. There's not much in it...

Some of the discontinued Nissans were discontinued/replaced ages ago. 300ZX was killed (became too expensive) and there was no Z car for while until the '03 350Z. 350Z became 370Z due to change from 3.5 to 3.7 liter V6.

IIRC, Altima Hybrid ended after '11 model year. '12 model year also marked when Camry Hybrid went to a newer gen of hybrid system. As far as I can tell, Altima Hybrid (my mom has had one for years) uses Toyota HyCam hybrid bits, including inverter, power split device and batery pack. So, probably Toyota and its suppliers didn't want to continue supplying large quantities of previous gen hybrid bits.

Some of the cars from https://www.cars.com/research/nissan/ are pretty funny. Stanza went away in the US long ago.

The Ariya a beautiful car and I particularly like the interior. I’m surprised they’re showing it more than a year before launch.

CCS charging is the death knell for CHAdeMO in North America. Not really a surprise I guess.

^^^
I haven't been able to watch the event due to other higher priority things going on for me but holy cow.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nissan-ariya-electric-suv-adopts-ccs-fast-charging/ confirms that. I guess Nissan will be doing like the German automakers have to do if they want to be in Japan, NA and Europe: support all 3 plugs on a given model: CHAdeMO, Combo1 (aka SAE Combo), Combo2 ala e-Golf, i3 and EQC.

But ouch... as much as I hate to say it, CHAdeMO in the US is going to be toast and just fall into decline w/Nissan abandoning it for the US. I am dismayed by the side charging inlet. I can safely say after having 1.5 years of experience with it on Bolt, it is an inferior location.

I see them mentioning water cooling for battery at ~45:20.

There are some really good and really weak points on this car.

+ Liquid cooled battery, finally
+ CCS
+ ProPilot 2
+ AWD
+ HUD

- 130 kW max fast charging
- No frunk
- 7.2 kW AC charging
- Not available in NA until late 2021
- 300 miles EPA from 87 kWh is weak if accurate, Model Y does 300+ miles with 74 kWh.

Looks like a fine car that will be defined by its styling, not its feature competitiveness. I’m guessing the Leaf is not long for this world if they’re targeting a $40k price point for the Ariya.

Back