Brand new Nissan Leaf (20) with continuous faults

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lo86

Hi all, I'm at my wits end with my new Nissan Leaf that I had delivered in May 2020. Within a few days I was getting 'Key System Fault' error messages, which occasionally would prevent me from putting the car into gear. Over the months I've also had 'Service EV System, No Power' (despite having full charge), which wouldn't let me put into gear or turn off the car, 'System Malfunction' and 'System Fault'. It's been into the Nissan dealership four times, each time they didn't know what to do so had to have Nissan Technical advising - one time they replaced the main CPU, the most recent time they replaced the door locking system. Supposedly they can never replicate the faults when they have it in the dealership, yet as soon as I get the car back the faults are straight back. Nissan Technical have supposedly never seen this issue other than a car in Europe which was solved with the door locking system replacement (which hasn't worked on mine). Other than the 'Service EV System, No Power', you can usually clear the faults by pressing OK but it comes up pretty much daily, meaning there's obviously an issue somewhere. They're intermittent, don't always happen on the second+ trip of the day, most often first thing in the morning but not every time and the key issue comes up before even turning the car on.
Any ideas???

Check the rest voltage of the 12 volt battery. It's a known issue, and can cause random fault codes. If it's below 12.2 volts, either charge the 12 volt battery with an external charger, or take a long drive with the climate control on. Do you mainly do short trips?

LeftieBiker said:
<span>Check the rest voltage of the 12 volt battery. It's a known issue, and can cause random fault codes. If it's below 12.2 volts, either charge the 12 volt battery with an external <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a>, or take a long drive with the climate control on. Do you mainly do short trips?</span>

Yes normally short trips. It's currently back in with the dealership technicians so I'll ask them to check the rest voltage - thanks for the tip.

GerryAZ said:
Also check the 12V battery negative cable chassis ground connection.

Thanks for the tip, I'll ask the dealership to give this a try too.

This should be unacceptable on a brand new car purchased in May. Is there a "Lemon Law" in your country (you said Europe)?

(you should add your location to your profile)

If you were in the US, I'd say to bring it into the dealership and tell them to fix it, while looking up our state's lemon law requirements. In my state, once the car was in for repair 3 times for the same issue or was in for a total of 20 days, it qualified for me to return it under the lemon.

jlv said:
If you were in the US, I'd say to bring it into the dealership and tell them to fix it, while looking up our state's lemon law requirements. In my state, once the car was in for repair 3 times for the same issue or was in for a total of 20 days, it qualified for me to return it under the lemon.
Except there has never been an issue. If you doubt me, just ask the dealership.

Back