Level II Extension cord for charging < $65

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsocdelica

Hey Leafers, I just got a 25 ft extension cord from Amazon for under $65 for our Level II EVSE charger. I got tired of playing Tetris in the garage to get close enough to the Level II chargers and didn't feel like doing hard wiring (yet).

So: bought this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08315NGGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went to Amazon warehouse and got about $20 of list price.

Initially I was thinking about getting a specific charging chord extension.

https://www.amazon.com/LECTRON-Level-Charger-Extension-J1772/dp/B079NTNJ5C/ref=sr_1_25_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=ev+extension+cord+level+2+charging&qid=1610239564&s=hi&sr=1-25-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVjhMMlAwUVNKUU1RJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDkxODQ2RzcwTEgzMzVBUFpZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MzY1NzczSjFYNE1PUFNNWDY2JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmX25leHQmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

but this is so much cheaper!

Though occasionally Amazon sells the dedicated charger extension pretty cheap which could come in handy!

https://www.amazon.com/PRIMECOM-Charging-Cable-Extension-Charger/dp/B07SLQ73N5/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=ev+extension+cord+level+2+charging&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1610239763&s=warehouse-deals&sr=8-6

Thoughts?

Aloha

Attachments

• 25 foot.jpg
    25 foot.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 25
I don't know what EVSE you are using but that looks fine if you need it. My only concerns would be the number of times the plugs are inserted/removed as they can wear out eventually but that would probably take years. If that was ever a problem, new ends could be installed on the cord.

Good point.

And yes, in my case, I'm leaving the EVSE plugged in somewhat permanently... and since we don't have an electric dryer in the garage, that stays plugged in about 363 out of 365 days...

We're using a "EBUSBAR Portable EV Charger with plug NEMA 10-30" (16A)

Here is the production information for the charger:

"DESCRIPTION
3x faster than your level 1 charger
Voltage 240V and current 16A output power 3.8kw
Plug type NEMA 10-30P which is compatible with dryer’s outlet
Reliable design including water proof, leakage protection, overvoltage protection, overcurrent protection
Good for Nissan Leaf, Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius, Fiat 500E and all other plug-in evs
EBUSBAR Portable EV Charger with plug NEMA 10-30

Built by Ebusbar, the Level 2 home charger can make charging your electric vehicle as easy as charging your cell phone.

Key Features

– Compatible with all EVSE standards and recommended practices, including SAE J1772, NEC 625, UL 2231 and UL 2594.
– Built-in communication verifies proper connection before charging can commence.
– Voltage 240V with plug NEMA 10-30 which is compatible with dryer’s outlet.
– output current 16A.
– Reliable design including water proof, leakage protection, over-voltage protection and over-current protection.
– Cord length 17 feet.

Aloha!

Attachments

• EVSE Bus Bar BEV C16.jpg
    EVSE Bus Bar BEV C16.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 31
  • EVSE Bus Bar BEV C16.jpg
    EVSE Bus Bar BEV C16.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 30
Back