wiring harness behind battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

In the US models, is there a patch panel of wires seeming exposed behind the battery? I'm in New Zealand, driving an imported Japanese 40kWh 2020 Leaf. Everyone here says that is what theirs look like. See pictures at:

https://seattlevet.net/zenphoto2/Leaf-wiring-harness/

Looks the same in my 2012 version. There is a fuse and relay box right above that connector.

Seems like there could be some way to make it "look" better by using a backshell cover so you wouldn't see the wires, or let it hang down instead of pointing toward the front. It would be a perfect little 3-d plastic printer task. Or cut and bend a piece of flat stock HDPE to make a cover piece, it is easy to bend and weld at low temperatures.

Thanks for confirming this has been this way for years. There must be something very functional about this particular group of wires. For servicing or fault diagnostics? All other wires and junctions boxes are well enclosed and covered up.

I just bought this car July 1.My initial concern seeing this was some dweeb had done some sloppy work on the car (a used Japanese import, as are most here in NZ).

-Jeff

Your photos look like my 2015 and 2019. My 2011 had a flexible cover over the wires from the factory. I was concerned about water damage so I fabricated a cover for the wires for my 2015 from a flexible rubber or plastic cap that I had in the garage. Even though the 2019 is significantly different in a lot of ways, it still had the exposed wiring so I fabricated a flexible cover/splash shield for the wires for it soon after I took delivery.

I worked as an engineer in a research group prototyping medical electronics in the 1980's. I had a technician who would have insisted every thing look as neat and protected as possible, particularly in what can be a harsh environment where dust, bugs, condensation can get into things. I'll probably fabricate something to protect this wire termination box as well. Maybe as simple and inelegant as some cellophane tie wrapped around it. I'd love to know the logic of years' worth of production models leaving one conduit cut and wrapped in black tape allowing this pad of wire terminations to be so exposed. I suppose the good news is there must not be many problems attributed to this, 'cause it would be easy to remedy in production.

Back