aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

Re: EV Motorsports Forum

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:42 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:You could put on significantly larger diameter tires, or have custom made gears built for the for the 8:1 gear reduction box.

Or drive down a hill.
Drivesolo wrote:I've tried both directions on a stretch of highway w/ a mild incline [...]
RedLeader wrote:Same results; 94 speedo reading even heading downhill.
Question to RedLeader and Drivesolo: just curious: do you know the grade of those inclines?

FWIW, one part of my commute is a 13% grade over about 900 feet (115 feet drop over 858 feet, from 30o21'09.44"N 97o47'43.22"W to 30o21'01.88"N 97o47'47.82"W): my LEAF does not gain any speed going down it in neutral at about 45 mph. Which is to say, at that speed, friction (internal and tire/road) and aero drag appear to completely negate the potential energy yielded by the descent. What would happen if a LEAF goes down a grade steep enough and long enough? Would it break the "speed record"? If not, why not?
Anna Nguyen

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:56 am

aqn wrote:
Drivesolo wrote:I've tried both directions on a stretch of highway w/ a mild incline [...]
RedLeader wrote:Same results; 94 speedo reading even heading downhill.
Question to RedLeader and Drivesolo: just curious: do you know the grade of those inclines?

FWIW, one part of my commute is a 13% grade over about 900 feet (115 feet drop over 858 feet, from 30o21'09.44"N 97o47'43.22"W to 30o21'01.88"N 97o47'47.82"W): my LEAF does not gain any speed going down it in neutral at about 45 mph.
It would be interesting to see if the power output is limited to keep the motor rpm (vehicle speed) limited to 94mph. It would require a passenger to monitor the power screen, or a data logger, but if you approached 94 with 80kW power and then it throttled back just as you hit the limit, it would prove the car is self limiting. Larger wheel diameter should allow for a bit more speed while keeping the motor speed in a "safe" zone.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Drivesolo
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 am

aqn wrote:FWIW, one part of my commute is a 13% grade over about 900 feet (115 feet drop over 858 feet, from 30o21'09.44"N 97o47'43.22"W to 30o21'01.88"N 97o47'47.82"W): my LEAF does not gain any speed going down it in neutral at about 45 mph. Which is to say, at that speed, friction (internal and tire/road) and aero drag appear to completely negate the potential energy yielded by the descent. What would happen if a LEAF goes down a grade steep enough and long enough? Would it break the "speed record"? If not, why not?
When I did my test I would say that the grade was never greater than ~8%. The only difference that I recall when doing the down hill run was that I reached top speed sooner. I have some telemetry equipment that I'll try and bring along if I attempt it again.

I don't think, if left unmodified, you could exceed the rev-limit of the motor. So any real-world stretch of road w/ a serious grade that you could find probably wouldn't help. Seems pretty well defined. However as mentioned in a previous post, I also felt like there was more torque there that could have pushed it further prior to dropping off at the imposed limit.

From this dyno run thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnOver's plot shows that just before 10k torque drops off instead of following the expected trend.
2011 SL Superblack - Delivered 10/10/2011
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn
"Racing improves the breed." - Soichiro Honda

davewill

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 pm

RedLeader wrote:What's next to get an EV motorsports forum?
Having a lively EV motorsports thread would be a good start. I'd either start a fresh one, or make this one strictly about motorsports instead of about a getting a forum, and see how much discussion can be sustained.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

RedLeader
Delivery Date: 26 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 0000

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 pm

aqn wrote:Question to RedLeader and Drivesolo: just curious: do you know the grade of those inclines?
The grade was fairly steep where I was seeing how fast the Leaf would go. I've been able to coast down the same grade and accelerate from ~45 mph to 60+ mph while in neutral in other cars. I can't say if the grade made any difference in the speed I reached. Going off of other posts on this forum I don't think it did. I did not attempt the return run up the hill to see what speed I could reach.

RedLeader

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:43 pm

davewill wrote:
RedLeader wrote:What's next to get an EV motorsports forum?
Having a lively EV motorsports thread would be a good start. I'd either start a fresh one, or make this one strictly about motorsports instead of about a getting a forum, and see how much discussion can be sustained.
Seems like this thread is becoming a catch can for general discussion. I agree w/ starting w/ a fresh one. There is something that I am working on that I'd like to be able to post.

Motegi racing SV5 (17x7 ET+42, 19.5 lbs)

+

(Badly used) Kumho Victoracers (225/45-17)

=

Just mounted and balanced last night. It was raining quite heavily.

Yes....for the Leaf.
Last edited by RedLeader on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:39 pm

aqn wrote:my LEAF does not gain any speed going down it in neutral at about 45 mph. Which is to say, at that speed, friction (internal and tire/road) and aero drag appear to completely negate the potential energy yielded by the descent. What would happen if a LEAF goes down a grade steep enough and long enough? Would it break the "speed record"? If not, why not?
In similar fashion to putting it in Neutral, I can leave the cruise control on and watch the motor power display. If it's calibrated (and I have my doubts) the indicator will disappear if it's in a completely neutral cruise. If it's neutral at 65 MPH, it shows a few kW at 75 and a few kW regen at 55. Interstate freeways limit their grade to around 6%.

So if you increase the grade, the "neutral speed" will increase. You can only do this up to a 90 degree angle. At that point, you may as well calculate the terminal velocity in free fall :lol: If it's less than 95MPH, then no, not fast enough. Except at that point, someone will suggest trying it again in Colorado...or an air drop from cruising altitude... :geek:
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

Drivesolo
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:02 pm

RedLeader wrote:
Seems like this thread is becoming a catch can for general discussion. I agree w/ starting w/ a fresh one. There is something that I am working on that I'd like to be able to post.

Motegi racing SV5 (17x7 ET+42, 19.5 lbs)

+

(Badly used) Kumho Victoracers (225/25-17)

=

Just mounted and balanced last night. It was raining quite heavily.

Yes....for the Leaf.
LOL! I knew it! I KNEW IT! You just can't help yourself can you. ;) We're going to have to have a little talk.
2011 SL Superblack - Delivered 10/10/2011
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn
"Racing improves the breed." - Soichiro Honda

DaveEV
Forum Supporter

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:05 pm

RedLeader wrote:Motegi racing SV5 (17x7 ET+42, 19.5 lbs)
Yes....for the Leaf.
So - what are you planning on doing with those meats? :)

You're going to need some suspension upgrades to take advantage of them - at the very least a camber bolt up front to keep from chewing up what's left of the shoulders of those tires.

PS - those must be 225/45 tires, no?

RedLeader

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm

drees wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Motegi racing SV5 (17x7 ET+42, 19.5 lbs)
Yes....for the Leaf.
So - what are you planning on doing with those meats? :)

You're going to need some suspension upgrades to take advantage of them - at the very least a camber bolt up front to keep from chewing up what's left of the shoulders of those tires.

PS - those must be 225/45 tires, no?
D'oh! Thanks for catching that typo. Yes, 225/45-17's. Corrected. I must've fat-fingered it or all the talk about Donks earlier got me thinking in terms of their tires.

I'll start a new post once I get everything in order, it might be a few more weeks since some important components are on back order from Summit Racing. I already filled Drivesolo, he's welcomed to steal my thunder.

I considered many things; camber bolts, rotor & pads, Tien's suspension, etc. but this will be a first attempt so I am not going all out (else I would've opted for 17x9 wheels). Not concerned at all w/ this set of tires, they're essentially throw aways after this attempt. If it works well, I'll take it a little further depending if I see a enjoyment in pursuring it. Right now I'm just waiting for a dry period of weather for me to see how these tires feel vs stock. From what I've read and heard the OEM tires have a lot to be desired of.

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”