What should we do to help minimize outages in the future?

Ask for donations to upgrade the hosting account
23%
Put some ads on the site like every other forum
21%
Have the ability to have a 'premium' membership where for a nominal fee (like $10 per year) when signed in, you don't see any ads and have additional permissions - Avatars, attachments etc.
31%
Nothing - I don't mind if the site has down times
26%

Total votes: 39
wxxyz

Website Outages

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:00 pm

As you probably very well noticed, the My Nissan Leaf was down, missing, AWOL for quite some time today - and many of you found yourselves:
1. lost
2. in the fetal position
3. being more productive?

Thank you to those of you who emailed me to notify me of the issue.

The purpose of this post is to get suggestions as to what to do from here forward to prevent issues like this from arising again.

Here's some ideas people have presented:
1. Ask for donations to upgrade the hosting account
2. Put some ads on the site like every other forum
3. Have the ability to have a 'premium' membership where for a nominal fee (like $10 per year) when signed in, you don't see any ads and have additional permissions - Avatars, attachments etc.

What are your thoughts?

Gavin
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Website Outages

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:14 pm

One other option...at my Mac site we have a thread that links through to amazon and every purchase made gives money to the Mac site... We were able to keep the site ad free and made a couple of years hosting money in no time.

Will link to it shortly for you to see.

Gavin

wxxyz

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Do you mean an affiliate link where people who are going to buy something through amazon anyways just click on that link before purchasing?

Gavin

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Maybe I missed something...why did this happen? I've been on other websites for years at times, and have never seen this happen for that long. The longest was a few minutes, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what actually happened since this wasn't posted yet.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

AndyH

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:23 pm

wxxyz wrote:What are your thoughts?
Sorry - I can't give a useful suggestion without knowing why the site was down. ;)

Wha'happened? :D

lne937s

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Who should I donate to?

Maybe you can ask Nissan to help out?

Accept advertising? (if so selectively, I don't want GM FUD campaigns showing up here)

wxxyz

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:36 pm

The forum (based on settings in the user control panel) sends an email when someone replies to a post, and when a private message is received. Due to the high usage on the site yesterday, near the end of the day the host flagged the site as sending spam. Since My Nissan Leaf is hosted on a budget host, it can take 24-48 hours to receive a response to a support ticket - thus the long delay in un-suspending the domain.

Someone mentioned the domain expired, but that had nothing to do with it - the domain name was renewed over a week ago.

Gavin

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:39 pm

With the affiliate link we have raised many hundreds of dollars...It works seamlessly and the site you like gets money from purchases members would have made anyways...seems a win win...

There could be a paypal link for members to donate as wanted...

There could be mild advertising too...but please no audio ads.

Or a combination of the all of that...

But Affiliate link seems a good first step to see if the money needed could be raised that way.

As for down time...it happens...heck we had a major outage of our mac site back in 1999...we still call it the Blackout of 1999...i think the site was down for 3 months...gah...

talk about fetal position...

It is funny though...I was, help, I NEED some LEAF info right NOW....which is kinda crazy...the car isn't coming for months...why would I NEED info right now?

Gavin

here is the longer link that has people talking about what they bought to help the mac site...it actually gets to be a fun little way to share and talk with each other....

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=32906

AndyH

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm

wxxyz wrote:The forum (based on settings in the user control panel) sends an email when someone replies to a post, and when a private message is received. Due to the high usage on the site yesterday, near the end of the day the host flagged the site as sending spam. Since My Nissan Leaf is hosted on a budget host, it can take 24-48 hours to receive a response to a support ticket - thus the long delay in un-suspending the domain.

Someone mentioned the domain expired, but that had nothing to do with it - the domain name was renewed over a week ago.
Gotcha - thanks!

Can we move advertising down into subbasement 17 or so? ;)

Donations via Paypal should work very, very well considering we seem to have a conscientious and mature group here! If you'll provide some transparency I'll bet we'll rise to the challenge.

The Amazon link is a great idea! Maybe have a set location on the site, though, rather than an ad-type presence?

Thanks Mike,
Andy

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”