What should we do to help minimize outages in the future?

Ask for donations to upgrade the hosting account
23%
Put some ads on the site like every other forum
21%
Have the ability to have a 'premium' membership where for a nominal fee (like $10 per year) when signed in, you don't see any ads and have additional permissions - Avatars, attachments etc.
31%
Nothing - I don't mind if the site has down times
26%

Total votes: 39
AndyH

Re: Website Outages

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Mike - from a spam direction - can you get white-listed with the hosting provider?

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:39 am

I have no forum subscriptions, and no notification on reply, yet as many of you may have noticed I manage to keep up with a large fraction of what goes on at this board.

1. I'd be happy to donate. PayPal sounds best, but I'll even send cash if that is the only thing you can handle without getting buried in administrivia.

2. If spam black-listing is the only problem then emails only on paid membership sounds like a good solution. Or you could turn emails off altogether so far as I am concerned.

3. Pass-thru revenue doesn't sound like something I would make much use of, since I make very few internet purchases, but it wouldn't bother me if you had it.

4. If you had a paid membership, I would be pay for it.

5. I'd be disappointed to see you go to advertising, though if you suppressed it for paid members, and if it didn't slow response for those members, I guess I wouldn't complain. (i.e. I would hope for PHP or other server-side ad suppression, but not client-side script, and certainly not client-side Java.)
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

wxxyz

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Over the next few days we will be making adjustments to the default user mail settings.
We are now white-listed with the server so they shouldn't cut us off for mail usage again.

Yes, the ad suppression would definitely be server side via php.

I'll be looking at some other hosts and comparing costs/prices etc and see if we need to move the site. There's a company I'm looking at that cliams there servers are 300% wind powered (they buy 3 times the carbon credits to offset their footprint).

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:50 am

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

White-list, defaults, ... might be enough for now, but maybe we (you, us?) can track the mail volume somehow?

If one could easily track the "last 7 days" email use by user, ... similar to our list of members that can be sorted by total number of posts ... one (we?) could watch for high-usage members and check with them that they really WANT all that email.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”