User avatar
wxxyz
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 am

There's been some talk about needing a better UI for mobile phones. There are commercially available solutions out there, but they can be expensive and can have security issues.

While this isn't an app, it should help the usability of the forum.

Let me know your thoughts on it.
If it seems to work we can put in auto-device detection to load the mobile skin automatically on mobile devices.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/?style=3

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14101
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 am

i like it but definitely need a text size option. my browser cannot change it. now, i dont want a zoom function (well actually that would nice...) just bigger letters options
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5068
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 pm

The size was good on my tablet, and on my phone, the zoom worked perfectly. I could get any text size I wanted pretty painlessly. I would still want to be able to quote posts, and to view active topics. I also think the editor could use more of the regular sites features without becoming too cumbersome. This is quite a good first effort, though.

Minor bugs:
Clicking on a page number from the topics screen still sent me to the first page.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

User avatar
JimSouCal
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:06 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:i like it but definitely need a text size option. my browser cannot change it. now, i dont want a zoom function (well actually that would nice...) just bigger letters options
yes a larger font option would be good as seen on my iPhone right now.

User avatar
JimSouCal
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 pm

wxxyz wrote:While this isn't an app, it should help the usability of the forum.
I upgraded to a basic supporter status. Thanks.

User avatar
JimSouCal
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:00 pm

davewill wrote:I could get any text size I wanted pretty painlessly.
How did you accomplish that...? I have style link that I use that does increase the point size of fonts, but that requires another step.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14101
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:10 pm

JimSouCal wrote:
davewill wrote:I could get any text size I wanted pretty painlessly.
How did you accomplish that...? I have style link that I use that does increase the point size of fonts, but that requires another step.
i think he said he used zoom which is nice but requires side scrolling which is something i avoid as much as possible
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5068
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:i think he said he used zoom which is nice but requires side scrolling which is something i avoid as much as possible
I did, but on my Android 2.3.6 phone using the built-in Android browser and Dolphin HD, I didn't have to side scroll. The whole site re-wrapped to fit. On my Nook Color (Cyanogen 7) the Android browser re-wrapped the same way. Using Opera, zoom re-wrapped the text, but I had to side scroll to get to other parts of the interface.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14101
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:56 pm

davewill wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:i think he said he used zoom which is nice but requires side scrolling which is something i avoid as much as possible
I did, but on my Android 2.3.6 phone using the built-in Android browser and Dolphin HD, I didn't have to side scroll. The whole site re-wrapped to fit. On my Nook Color (Cyanogen 7) the Android browser re-wrapped the same way. Using Opera, zoom re-wrapped the text, but I had to side scroll to get to other parts of the interface.
oh a rewrap would be nice.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Mobile version of the forum

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:43 pm

On my T-Mobile G2 with the stock browser, the mobile version of the site works extremely well. Thank you!
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

Return to “Website/Forum Discussions”