ordering information (simplified)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CampbellNelson

The following will become available once Nissan has added the needed features and links to the customer online Leaf account and the Dealer Leaf ordering Dashboard becomes operational. This should be happening in the next week or so.

A. after logging on to your account you can review your Leaf and make any changes to model, color and or options.

B. Select your Dealer. This could be your preferred dealer or any dealer you choose. You can work with only one dealer at a time. Only leaf certified dealers will be visible. The dealer choice page will include a tab that clearly states" See more dealers" which enables you to scroll down and choose any dealer which I believe, are sorted out based on Distance from your Zip code. You can choose any dealer for the initial quote request, But You can only work with one dealer at a time. The preferred dealer is shown first with a check mark next to it. when you scroll through and choose another dealer, the check mark disappears from the first dealer. Only one dealer can have the "check mark" prior to submitting the RAQ.

C. Choose how you are planning to pay (purchase or lease), if you are adding the cost of the Home charging station (Nissan preferred only) and if you have a trade in.

D. submit your quote request.

Once you have done so, you are locked in for 24 hrs and you cannot request another quote from another dealer. You must also have signed up or opted out for the Home charging dock assessment (by calling the EV 800#).

If a dealer does not respond within 24 hrs, you can Request A Quote from another dealer.

Once the dealer receives your quote, you will be contacted by that dealer to review your request. After confirming everything, the dealer will submit the offer. You can still contact the dealer prior to accepting or rejecting the offer and still make changes.

If you accept the offer, your order goes directly to the factory and you will be able to get an ETA from Nissan. You are Locked in and so is the Dealer.
If you reject the offer, the process starts over with the next dealer.

Thanks for the great info, but any idea yet on when the first payment (for the purchasing option) would be due? Are you expected to pay any "earnest money" at the time of ordering, or would no money be due until you pick up the car??

TLeaf said:
Thanks for the great info, but any idea yet on when the first payment (for the purchasing option) would be due? Are you expected to pay any "earnest money" at the time of ordering, or would no money be due until you pick up the car??

As has been said on other threads, there is NO more money needed until you pick up your car, lease or buy makes no difference. Every dealer I've talked to said no additional money needed and you can walk away the day you pick up the car if you decide you don't want it and you will get your $99 back if you want it.

What if you have been chosen for the EV Project and free charger, however there has been no contact from Ecotality?

"C. Choose how you are planning to pay (purchase or lease), if you are adding the cost of the Home charging station (Nissan preferred only) and if you have a trade in."

Is there a way to tell the dealer you do not need the Home charging station preferred by Nissan if you are to get the Blink charger from the EV Project?

garygid said:
I think ... no money until you see your car, and even then you can reject it and walk away ... or accept it, sign papers, pay, and drive away.

NIssan would not collect money until the sale at the dealer and if your cancel on the lot you get your $99 back, standard operating procedure.

So, if I choose buy and get financng, do i need to get loan pre approval or that would be done at the time of delivery date?

IBELEAF said:
So, if I choose buy and get financng, do i need to get loan pre approval or that would be done at the time of delivery date?

As far as the dates released by Nissan, here is what is supposed to happen:

A month before Your leaf arrives, you will start to receive weekly updates. You will also be able to get pre-approved by Nissan (pre-approvals are good for 30 days) specially if you are planning to lease. You will also get a checklist online to ensure that you are ready to take delivery.

2 weeks before delivery, customers who have not had their home charging station installed will receive a reminder (if you have not opted out).

Complete the financial process at time of delivery, and sign up for the telematics services (if you have not done so already) figure out trade-in (if you have one)
Take delivery.

If you are planning to finance, you do not have to finance with Nissan Motor Acceptance. Most dealers work with multiple banks and credit unions. Getting pre-approved ahead of time never hurts.

TLeaf said:

Money will not exchange hands until you take delivery. Usually, if you are financing, your 1st payment is due 45 days from when you signed the bank contract.

When do you think we would be able to get the VIN? I wanted to file for the CA rebate asap. I think I can file 14 days or so before delivery. By the way, do we need any other information when filing for CA credit before delivery?

trentr said:
When do you think we would be able to get the VIN? I wanted to file for the CA rebate asap. I think I can file 14 days or so before delivery. By the way, do we need any other information when filing for CA credit before delivery?

Usually, the VIN# becomes available when the car ships which is about 25-30 days prior to arrival.

1. sign up for what "telematics services"?

2. Final papers needed for the CA rebate include at least a copy of the purchase (or lease) agreement, and a copy of your registration. You should get both when you sign, pay, and take delivery. Check their web site for exact details.

So, to make the LEAF work as intended, I need at least 3 subscriptions: a web-capable cell-phone, XM-Radio (for current traffic), and the US "LeafWings" system?

That's perhaps $100 per month for LEAF-life (except perhaps less for the first 3 years)?

CampbellNelson said:
Usually, the VIN# becomes available when the car ships which is about 25-30 days prior to arrival.

25-30 days for shipping??? It only takes 9-10 days for a ship to get from Japan to the west coast. Hopefully the timeline from shipment to final delivery is less then two weeks.

When you see information about a car being shipped - are you also getting information about what specific ship it is on? If so - any chance you could help us out by posting the names of any of the ships that are delivering product from Oppama? I'd like to develop a list of the ships that service that plant so that we can track them. Thanks!

LakeLeaf said:
CampbellNelson said:

25-30 days for shipping??? It only takes 9-10 days for a ship to get from Japan to the west coast. Hopefully the timeline from shipment to final delivery is less then two weeks.

When you see information about a car being shipped - are you also getting information about what specific ship it is on? If so - any chance you could help us out by posting the names of any of the ships that are delivering product from Oppama? I'd like to develop a list of the ships that service that plant so that we can track them. Thanks!

There are 2 major distribution points in the country. The west coast point is LA. Dealers in LA are bound to get their cars earlier (by a few days). For Oregon and WA, the cars are shipped via rail to Portland (10 day process). From there, the cars are trucked to their final dealer destination (5 day process), hence the time line.
From when the order is placed, to production and then shipping, you are looking at a 90-100 day window.
We do not have access to the Ships or their names unfortunately. Once you have the VIN#, I can track it down to a certain extent.

1. Somebody on the PriusChat forum has a shipping/delivery tracking "site".

2. After production, cars might have to sit there for a week before there is a suitable ship available.

3. Unloading cars would usually be quick, to get the ship on its way (unless the port is "backed up").

4. Trucking cars from the lot could take a week just waiting for a truck, and then some days to deliver the load to different dealers.

So, the time (a bit over 3 to 4 weeks) sounds about right (to me).

The question is, when will one know the date of delivery-at-the-dealer (for making the CA Rebate application)?

Back