Trade-In for Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafittome

Has anybody worked an order deal including a trade-in value? Or are the dealers waiting due to Leaf delivery date not being known? Can a trade value be used as a down payment on a lease or just a finance contract? I would assume a trade could be used to lower lease payments.

Also, for those who have ordered in California, did you then apply for the state rebate? This is outside of any deal with the dealer?

Thank you.

Hi Leafitome.
I have a 2005 Civic Hybrid. I will not be trading it in when I get my LEAF because I owe on it. I owe slightly more than the Kelly Blue Book value. The dealer will always give you much less than the value of your car or trade in. I will be selling my car in the autotrader.
My experience with the rebate is this- you take your purchase contract to your tax person when you are doing your taxes and then it gets submitted with your state and Fed. taxes. I did this with the tax credit for my Civic Hybrid.

Hope this helps!

I didn't do a trade; I will be downsizing one car before the Leaf, but will be selling it myself in a couple of weeks on eBay.

As far as the California rebate for the Leaf, it is a little bit too early for that. You can apply on the CCSE website for the rebate, but have to follow up within a couple of weeks with your purchase/lease documentation, including a copy of proof of registration...So we still have a few weeks to go before applying. It'll be here before we know it, though....

Hi Randy.
What are Ebay seller fees for a car? I imagine it would be a few hundred dollars? If I sold me Civic Hybrid for $9,000 on Ebay wouldn't ebay charge me like $500?

Thanks!

Leafittome said:
Has anybody worked an order deal including a trade-in value?

Leafittome, these are LEAF orders, not contracts to purchase or lease. All of those details will be worked out when the vehicle is delivered. Nissan is calling this the "order specification phase" part of the process wherein the customer and dealer agree on price, color and options. In Nissan's words "They will contact a dealer to negotiate their price and finalize the order for the purchase or lease of Nissan LEAF" (emphasis is mine). The actual purchase or lease will take place when the vehicle arrives at the dealership.

eBay charges no insertion fee if you sell less than 4 cars per year. The successful listing fee is $60 if the car sells for less than $2,000, and $125 for cars that sell for over $2,000. I'll also list it on Craigslist, and point people to the eBay auction for additional traffic...

I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S with 85,000 miles, so I'm hoping for a successful auction...

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&gbv=2&ndsp=21&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=3&q=2000+toyota+celica+gt-s+red&btnG=Search+images

Guess what color Leaf I ordered? :)

Thanks for the info. on selling a car on Ebay! I might give it a shot! I would put a reserve price on my car if I put it on Ebay.
If it sold I would have the winner pay using paypal or money order.

JPC2822 said:
Thanks for the info. on selling a car on Ebay! I might give it a shot! I would put a reserve price on my car if I put it on Ebay.
If it sold I would have the winner pay using paypal or money order.
Paypay may have dollar limits on the transaction depending on your account and the buyer's account.
An immediate $500 deposit should work. I would suggest you have a designated time for any locals to view the car such as a four hour window on Saturday if the auction ends Sunday.

Hi JPC,
I've been struggling with how to handle the payment from an eBay car auction. I know I would definitely not use PayPal, as it is too easy for the buyer to file a false claim and get their money back, leaving me stuck. That's happened to me twice before with other sales. I'd really like to get cash, and would even be willing to go to the buyer's bank and get the cash with them from the teller. I've sold other cheaper cars in the past and cash wasn't a problem. But this car is worth more, so I'm not sure big of a deal it would be for the buyer...

I'm just leery of taking a check, money order, or cashiers check that could turn out to be bad. That would ruin my day and my future Leaf purchase.

What are your thoughts?

Randy said:
Hi JPC,
I've been struggling with how to handle the payment from an eBay car auction. I know I would definitely not use PayPal, as it is too easy for the buyer to file a false claim and get their money back, leaving me stuck. That's happened to be twice before with other sales. I'd really like to get cash, and would even be willing to go to the buyer's bank and get the cash with them from the teller. I've sold other cheaper cars in the past and cash wasn't a problem. But this car is worth more, so I'm not sure big of a deal it would be for the buyer...

I'm just leery of taking a check, money order, or cashiers check that could turn out to be bad. That would ruin my day and my future Leaf purchase.

What are your thoughts?

I'm not JPC, but I'm only taking cash (from their bank) when I sell mine. You're right, all of those other methods can be forged.

Hi Randy.
I have not had ANY problems with Paypal. I have purchased and sold hundreds of items through Ebay/Paypal- no problems except for when I buy- once every 100 purchases I get a bad seller.
I think you are right about doing through the bank of the person who wants to but the car. I am thinking I would do it with the person who is purchasing my used car- go with them to their bank. It is a tough decision and their is always danger- its just trying to minimize the danger or rip off part, I think....
Take care Randy!

The problem with cash is this - I'd personally not buy from a ebay seller who insists on cash ! So there would be a lot of potential customers, I guess, who will feel the same way.

Ofcourse I could trade-in and avoid the hassle (or gift it) ...

evnow said:
The problem with cash is this - I'd personally not buy from a ebay seller who insists on cash ! So there would be a lot of potential customers, I guess, who will feel the same way.

Ofcourse I could trade-in and avoid the hassle (or gift it) ...

Don't send the title to the car until after the finacial portion of the transaction has been completed. The bank doesn't send you the title the day you send them a check....they wait for it to clear.

I've never sold a car on eBay....I would assume the title doesn't go with the car right away, or does it?

I will probably list my 2001 Dodge RAM van conversion on CraigsList.
Since it is BIG and white, we call it "Orca".
But, no longer used by us. Smogged, registered, insured.

It has 77k miles, TV, DVD, VHS, 2x CD, Radio, wireless headphones.
With 2 front seats, two swivel seats, and a rear seat that power-folds down
into a bed, it would be good for a "camping" family with several kids.

I will get paid cash before I release the car (and paperwork).

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with 82,500 miles on it. I owe $9,000 on it. No way I would let the dealer buy it for less that $8,000- the dealer will more than likely offer me $5k or $6,000 max on it.
When I sell it of course I will not let it and the paper work go until the seller's funds have been validated by my bank!

Great comments on this topic everyone!
PEACE!

JPC2822 said:
I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with 82,500 miles on it. I owe $9,000 on it. No way I would let the dealer buy it for less that $8,000- the dealer will more than likely offer me $5k or $6,000 max on it.

KBB says between 8K and 10K. Why would a dealer offer only $5- 6 k?

Everyone I have asked including Danny at Nissan Fontana has told me that the dealer will offer $2,000 or more LESS than Kelly Blue Book. I will take it to the dealer and to Car Max to see what they offer me but I am pretty sure that the Nissan dealer and Car Max will both offer me $5k maybe $6,000 max....

JPC2822 said:
Everyone I have asked including Danny at Nissan Fontana has told me that the dealer will offer $2,000 or more LESS than Kelly Blue Book. I will take it to the dealer and to Car Max to see what they offer me but I am pretty sure that the Nissan dealer and Car Max will both offer me $5k maybe $6,000 max....

Yes - even kbb shows 2K less for trade-in than private party sale.

For my car KBB shows 4K for private party sale and 2,700 for trade-in.

There is no KBB for mine. It's one of a kind. Adding an extra cng tank (gives it over 500 mile range) costs about $2000 and in Utah they can get a $2500 state tax credit plus their cng is less than a buck/gge. I just read that ng futures are waaay down, so their prices may drop further. Btw, it has the cleanest burning ICE in the world! I can't wait to sell it and go zero emissions! :)

Back