socaluser
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2016

Re: End of Lease Strategies?

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:52 pm

SageBrush wrote: As I posted in another thread, a UT dealer is selling the 40 kWh LEAF 'S' model for $21,500 before tax credits or TTL. Figure out your tax credits and go from there. The CVRP requires in-state purchase.

I suggest you ignore your lease -- that is a sunk cost. Instead, compare a
$9000 ~ 18 kWh, 3 year old LEAF to
Whatever is otherwise available to you.

As a second, lightly used commuter your car is kinda sorta an OK-ish deal.
If it is your only car, it will hamstring you in a few short years.
Thanks for the reply SageBrush. Good point about the lease being a sunk cost. Also, that's an interesting way to look at the 3 year old Leaf being equivalent to 18KWh for 9K. I hadn't thought about it that way. Is the battery degradation curve relatively linear?

That Utah deal you posted is great; much better than what I've seen around here. I'll have to send out some feelers to some local dealers and see what I get. I need to return the car by first week of Sept so I have about a little over a month to make a decision!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:03 pm

socaluser wrote: That Utah deal you posted is great; much better than what I've seen around here. I'll have to send out some feelers to some local dealers and see what I get. I need to return the car by first week of Sept so I have about a little over a month to make a decision!
Your local dealers are banking on you being too lazy to shop away from your stomping grounds. Nothing stops you from buying in UT and driving the car home, or having the car delivered to you from out of state.

A couple of years ago I bought a Prius Prime over the telephone/email from a dealer in New York and had it shipped to New Mexico. I saved ~ $2500 net and it was a LOT less hassle than dealing with dealership turkeys at the dealership. The numbers were $900 shipping, $3,000 less for the car and $500 saved by not using the dealership titling service they usually foist on their customers.

Yes, battery degradation seems to be pretty linear year to year.

You might also check out
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/
The website keeps tabs on the best lease offers. Many are in CA

A LEAF lease from a CA dealer could be an awesome deal. You are (I presume) eligible for the CVRP, and you will save the fees that Nissan charges to return your current car. Judging by the best deal ev-vin knows about
http://www.haywardnissan.com/new-nissan ... ont-ca.htm
that looks to pencil out as ~
($8529 - $2500) for 30k miles over 3 years.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

72andsunny
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:21 pm

72andsunny wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:56 pm
It was your guy in Everett.

In other news: Nissan Finance has screwed me. They cashed the check from my bank and after I called twice asking where my title is, have told me that only a dealership in Hawaii can handle the transaction. Thanks for telling me before I took out an auto loan that I only took out because you told me to. Anyway, they’re checking to see if they can keep my check and I can just show up at a dealership to sign paperwork.
Well I'm about at the end. The local dealer wants about $1500 more than the Nissan Finance payoff ($300 of that is sales tax, $300 of that is the lease transfer fee, $10 for title transfer...so about $900 extra because they know they can charge it). Trying to set something up with a dealer on a nearby island. We had agreed on a price, but they're not exactly anxious to sell it to me, so I'm guessing my 10 day grace period will be up before a sale is completed. I've tried to extend the lease for another month, but keep being told "You already extended 9 times...:" I'm like: "No, I extended once.'

I haven't had it inspected, or anything. The salesman who sold it to me told me I can just drop it off with him any time. Any idea if a couple of very small chips (on opposite doors) is normal wear and tear?

I can't believe they want my four year old Leaf with 40,000 miles back.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:26 pm

IF the ships are smaller than a quarter you should be fine.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:37 am

72andsunny wrote:
72andsunny wrote:

In other news: Nissan Finance has screwed me. They cashed the check from my bank and after I called twice asking where my title is, have told me that only a dealership in Hawaii can handle the transaction. Thanks for telling me before I took out an auto loan that I only took out because you told me to. Anyway, they’re checking to see if they can keep my check and I can just show up at a dealership to sign paperwork.
Well I'm about at the end. The local dealer wants about $1500 more than the Nissan Finance payoff ($300 of that is sales tax, $300 of that is the lease transfer fee, $10 for title transfer...so about $900 extra because they know they can charge it). Trying to set something up with a dealer on a nearby island. We had agreed on a price, but they're not exactly anxious to sell it to me, so I'm guessing my 10 day grace period will be up before a sale is completed. I've tried to extend the lease for another month, but keep being told "You already extended 9 times...:" I'm like: "No, I extended once.'

I haven't had it inspected, or anything. The salesman who sold it to me told me I can just drop it off with him any time. Any idea if a couple of very small chips (on opposite doors) is normal wear and tear?

What a bunch of BS!! I would be half tempted to just return the car and get my money back!
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVforRobert
Delivery Date: 25 Sep 2015

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:06 pm

72andsunny wrote:
72andsunny wrote:

My local dealer insisted on a $300 inspection of my car to tell me it is safe to drive after I buy it back from them.
2015 SV LED + Quickcharge returned
2016 S30 returned
2019 BOLT EV LT

72andsunny
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:07 am

Further update:

Once again I think I’ve bought my car. A Honolulu Finance manager took pity on me a begrudgingly agreed to do all the paperwork through the mail. It was painfully slow; once a week I’d send him an email asking if I needed to do anything at which point I’d get an all caps reply and we’d move a step further along in the process. I ended up paying the $300 transfer fee (as mentioned in the lease agreement, and I believe I had to pay a similar fee for returning it), a $295 document fee, $10 registration transfer (unclear if the DMV actually requires this as only my name is on the registration), and 3 hundred something in sales tax (overcharged on this as Honolulu County tax is an extra 0.5% to pay for their train to nowhere). All in came to a little over $8k. More than I wanted to pay, but about $500 less than my local dealer wanted. Still haven’t received my registration or title, but they’ve cashed my check and the account shows paid off on nissan Finance. I will never lease another car no matter how good the deal is.

Phatcat73
Leaf Number: 401511

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:04 am

4 Months Remaining on our 2016 lease. Currently at 29k miles and anticipate around 32k at lease turn in. SOH 86% at present.

Residual at $10,600

As much as I want to move away from Nissan altogether, the price point is attracting along with the 8 year 100k degradation warranty that should trigger despite the Chicago climate. Plus the 5yr/60k power train.

We do have VPP pricing available $1000 below invoice, and may consider replacing the car if Nissan provides additional rebates. Currently none.
2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD
2016 SV; leased 20-Jan-17, 25k, 88% SOH; 20-May-19
2015 S; purchased 29-July-14, moved to AZ Nov-2014, 22k, 82% SOH; 01-Mar-18
Solar Array: [url]https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/ ... overview[l]

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”