cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Buying used: Auction? Trim Levels?

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:53 am

Sorry about the funky order. Having some trouble w/attachments.
IMG_5598.JPG
IMG_5610.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:55 am

IMG_5596.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

foliage2000

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks for all the photos on features - that really helps!

Just to close the loop on the auction thing, some light googling on "how to buy a used car at auction" provided some education as to the auction process. In a nutshell, it looks like there are two basic kinds of auctions - those that are intended for authorized dealers and those that are open to the general public. Dealer auctions generally get the good cars (cars that are likely to be easy to turn over, off-lease vehicles, etc.). Public auctions get things that the dealers can't easily sell (high mileage cars, cars with maintenance issues, or complete unknowns). As a Regular Joe, I can attend public auctions, but I'd need a dealer license to get into the dealer auctions. I'm sure my statements above are a gross oversimplification of the auction ecosystem, but for the purposes of this discussion those seemed to be the salient points. Lot's of good insight here: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confe ... oneer.html

I read somewhere else on this forum where a forum member (edit: looks like this was cwerdna - great info here, thanks for sharing!: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 21#p430521) had been working with a used dealer in his / her area, and basically told the dealer what was desired in the car and the dealer worked the auctions to find the right car. Sounded like the dealer was going to sell the car for about $1k over what was paid at auction. This strategy seems reasonable to me - find a used dealer that you like (perhaps one that sells alot of used Leafs) and place an order with them. See what they can do for you. The dealer uses their privileges at dealer auctions to get a nice vehicle and assumes some risk that they picked up a lemon at auction, and the buyer gets a decent deal on a used vehicle, without spending tons of time attending public auctions and risking a bunch of money on a car that could be a dog.

martyv
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 412873

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Hello all,
I have a dealers license for the manufacturing company I work for (we build custom trucks and trailers). I regularly attend the Brasher's dealer auction in Portland, Oregon where many off-lease Pacific Northwest Leafs end up being sold. (NMAC off-lease vehicles are usually auctioned on the second Thursday each month).

I'd be willing to help you find a Leaf for my cost plus a reasonable fee. PM me if you're interested!

cheers,
Marty

cwerdna

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:46 am

foliage2000 wrote: I read somewhere else on this forum where a forum member (edit: looks like this was cwerdna - great info here, thanks for sharing!: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 21#p430521) had been working with a used dealer in his / her area, and basically told the dealer what was desired in the car and the dealer worked the auctions to find the right car. Sounded like the dealer was going to sell the car for about $1k over what was paid at auction.
Yep. That was basically it, since he didn't have the car he originally advertised (mentioning he leaves his ads up on Craigslist) and when he did get one in, I passed on it, for reasons I already mentioned. Then, I went thru the above and got what I wanted at a pretty good price. And yes, he said his normal markup was $1K.

I mentioned Manheim (the used car dealer gets his used Leafs from there) and I don't recall if I posted http://press.manheim.com/2010-07-27-Man ... into-sales, which I found later.

Funny enough, over the weekend, I saw some guys dropping off a red Leaf to charge at free public L2. After they left, I noticed it had fresh Manheim auction and "Nissan and Infiniti Remarketing Services" stickers still on it. It looks like it was sold at auction this past Wednesday. Too bad I didn't notice while the guys were still around. I'd have asked them some questions. It was definitely a '12 from the side marker lights, 2012 year on the stickers and VIN starting with J.
foliage2000 wrote: This strategy seems reasonable to me - find a used dealer that you like (perhaps one that sells alot of used Leafs) and place an order with them. See what they can do for you. The dealer uses their privileges at dealer auctions to get a nice vehicle and assumes some risk that they picked up a lemon at auction, and the buyer gets a decent deal on a used vehicle, without spending tons of time attending public auctions and risking a bunch of money on a car that could be a dog.
The used car dealer doesn't assume that much risk about a lemon as he wasn't offering me any warranty. It's whatever is left on the manufacturer's warranty. The ultimate buyer is the one really taking the most risk of a lemon.

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”