cwerdna
Posts: 9665
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Tue May 08, 2018 8:21 pm

RonDawg wrote:In addition to Carvana, you may want to try Platt Auto in Oregon to see how much they will charge to ship a Leaf to Tucson. http://162.243.132.34/?utm_source=cars. ... m=referral
Not all their cars are from the PNW. I remember seeing someone either here or a Leaf FB group (more likely) consider a Leaf from there which actually came from California.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DarthPuppy
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm

I would suspect that due to the reputation of Leaf battery degradation in the Phoenix/Tucson climate, that the resale value in that market is so low that any trade ins get put onto a truck and shipped elsewhere. The buyer in another market won't be wise to the degradation issue and will overpay enough so that the shipping expense still results in more profit than trying to sell it locally in the original market.

Be careful not to buy a car from a cooler climate that was shipped there from a hot climate.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

Reddy
Posts: 1544
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm

DarthPuppy wrote:I would suspect that due to the reputation of Leaf battery degradation in the Phoenix/Tucson climate, that the resale value in that market is so low that any trade ins get put onto a truck and shipped elsewhere. The buyer in another market won't be wise to the degradation issue and will overpay enough so that the shipping expense still results in more profit than trying to sell it locally in the original market.

Be careful not to buy a car from a cooler climate that was shipped there from a hot climate.
Exactly! This has definitely happened as many of the early Leafs were sent north to MN.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

RonDawg
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 am

cwerdna wrote:
RonDawg wrote:In addition to Carvana, you may want to try Platt Auto in Oregon to see how much they will charge to ship a Leaf to Tucson. http://162.243.132.34/?utm_source=cars. ... m=referral
Not all their cars are from the PNW. I remember seeing someone either here or a Leaf FB group (more likely) consider a Leaf from there which actually came from California.
I was more recommending them as a one-stop source for EVs as opposed to recommending them for their location.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

cwerdna
Posts: 9665
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 pm

DarthPuppy wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm
I would suspect that due to the reputation of Leaf battery degradation in the Phoenix/Tucson climate, that the resale value in that market is so low that any trade ins get put onto a truck and shipped elsewhere. The buyer in another market won't be wise to the degradation issue and will overpay enough so that the shipping expense still results in more profit than trying to sell it locally in the original market.

Be careful not to buy a car from a cooler climate that was shipped there from a hot climate.
I flew into Phoenix this morning (super hot) and drove to Tucson (~110 miles from PHX airport to Tucson) before going on the tour at https://titanmissilemuseum.org/ (another ~25 minute drive). Tomorrow, I'm going to https://pimaair.org/ and the boneyard tour: https://pimaair.org/tour-boneyard/.

Man... it his hot in Tucson, as well. Was over 105 F in the day and 89 F right now at 9:38 pm.

I was rather tired and focused on making it to my hotel and to the last tour of the day. I only noticed one EV, a blue gen 1 Leaf w/black interior, so it had to be model year 2013 to 2017. Was in Tucson this afternoon on Valencia (IIRC). Not surprisingly, EVs don't seem real popular here from my observations, so far.

I really can't recommend people buy 24 kWh Leafs here. Even 30+ kWh Leafs w/8 year/100K capacity warranty.... hope one is able to lose enough capacity to get a replacement pack at least once.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

adavidw
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:53 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Aug 2019
Leaf Number: 310525

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:20 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 pm
Was in Tucson this afternoon on Valencia (IIRC). Not surprisingly, EVs don't seem real popular here
Former Tucson resident here. Priuses are/were everywhere around Tucson, but EV presence still seemed relatively noticeable. One thing for sure is that the types of cars you see on the West side and South side (where you were/are) are different than the cars seen on the East side or Foothills areas. It follows the economic demographics, so you'd probably see more EVs as you get closer to the "nicer" parts of town.

Down in Green Valley, where the Titan Missile Museum is, electric vehicles are very prevalent. The place is crawling with them. People drive them all over the place, and they even get to drive in special lanes on the main roads around town.

Of course, I'm speaking of...
Image

Evoforce
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:16 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 pm
DarthPuppy wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm
I would suspect that due to the reputation of Leaf battery degradation in the Phoenix/Tucson climate, that the resale value in that market is so low that any trade ins get put onto a truck and shipped elsewhere. The buyer in another market won't be wise to the degradation issue and will overpay enough so that the shipping expense still results in more profit than trying to sell it locally in the original market.

Be careful not to buy a car from a cooler climate that was shipped there from a hot climate.
I flew into Phoenix this morning (super hot) and drove to Tucson (~110 miles from PHX airport to Tucson) before going on the tour at https://titanmissilemuseum.org/ (another ~25 minute drive). Tomorrow, I'm going to https://pimaair.org/ and the boneyard tour: https://pimaair.org/tour-boneyard/.

Man... it his hot in Tucson, as well. Was over 105 F in the day and 89 F right now at 9:38 pm.

I was rather tired and focused on making it to my hotel and to the last tour of the day. I only noticed one EV, a blue gen 1 Leaf w/black interior, so it had to be model year 2013 to 2017. Was in Tucson this afternoon on Valencia (IIRC). Not surprisingly, EVs don't seem real popular here from my observations, so far.

I really can't recommend people buy 24 kWh Leafs here. Even 30+ kWh Leafs w/8 year/100K capacity warranty.... hope one is able to lose enough capacity to get a replacement pack at least once.
Those are great places to visit but you did pick oven temperature time of year. There are a lot of EV's in Arizona! If you want to have a visit with some like minded EV people try TEVA since you are in Tucson. Tucson Electric Vehicle Association has a good group of people and maybe can even help in your Fried Eggs On The Sidewalk Tour! I don't know how long you are there but EV week is coming up... There is also a road trip planned on the 14th and if you are interested PM me and I will give you contact information.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

cwerdna
Posts: 9665
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm

^^^
LOL! I did see 1 silver gen 1 Leaf today and a grey Model 3.

My original plan was to go to https://www.startrektour.com/ in Ticonderoga, NY. But, I've already been to numerous cities in that vicinity for vacation (Boston, Philly, Washington DC 3+ times, NYC at least 2 or times, Montreal, Canadian side of Niagara Falls), so I figured I'd go to some other places along the way or way back. My original plan was to go on the Titan missile silo tour only then I learned of https://pimaair.org/, the boneyard and Biosphere 2.

After I was done w/the tour, I noticed two A-10s flying around in a circle. I guess they were doing some training.

My plan was to do this trip last year but had to postpone it due to work. Then, I wanted to do it when it wasn't hot but not snowing in the East Coast (don't want to deal w/bad weather flying and driving) but got busy w/work again. Then I became resigned to the fact I might to go when it's hot as I might be going on another vacation later for Tokyo Motor Show (end of Oct to beginning of November: https://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/pres ... 81009.html). And, if it's after that, I could run into the weather issues again.

I'm flying out of Phoenix (yes, that far away) to Houston on 9/7 at 6:35 pm. For some reason, when I was originally planning trip, the flights in/out of PHX were a lot better or cheaper or were more direct than TUS. I'm in Tuscon one more night, possibly two (unsure right now). Heading to Biosphere 2 tomorrow.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Evoforce
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: not many used Leafs for sale locally (Tucson, AZ)

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:45 am

cwerdna wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm
^^^
LOL! I did see 1 silver gen 1 Leaf today and a grey Model 3.

My original plan was to go to https://www.startrektour.com/ in Ticonderoga, NY. But, I've already been to numerous cities in that vicinity for vacation (Boston, Philly, Washington DC 3+ times, NYC at least 2 or times, Montreal, Canadian side of Niagara Falls), so I figured I'd go to some other places along the way or way back. My original plan was to go on the Titan missile silo tour only then I learned of https://pimaair.org/, the boneyard and Biosphere 2.

After I was done w/the tour, I noticed two A-10s flying around in a circle. I guess they were doing some training.

My plan was to do this trip last year but had to postpone it due to work. Then, I wanted to do it when it wasn't hot but not snowing in the East Coast (don't want to deal w/bad weather flying and driving) but got busy w/work again. Then I became resigned to the fact I might to go when it's hot as I might be going on another vacation later for Tokyo Motor Show (end of Oct to beginning of November: https://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/pres ... 81009.html). And, if it's after that, I could run into the weather issues again.

I'm flying out of Phoenix (yes, that far away) to Houston on 9/7 at 6:35 pm. For some reason, when I was originally planning trip, the flights in/out of PHX were a lot better or cheaper or were more direct than TUS. I'm in Tuscon one more night, possibly two (unsure right now). Heading to Biosphere 2 tomorrow.
All great places to visit! Enjoy!
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”