California SCE customers can get $14,500 incentives total on any new 40 kwh Leaf!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene

I was so surprised to see that nobody has mentioned this incredible incentive for new 40 kw Leaf's.

Until April 1st, you can get in addition to all other incentives, yet another $3500 if you are an SCE customer and you buy a new 40 kw Leaf.

Your total incentives are:

Federal $7500
State $2500
Normal SCE $1,000 (for any EV new or used)
New, additional Leaf only $3500.

That's total of $14,500 of incentives!

If you buy the last expensive 40 kw Leaf, it is nearly 50% off!

https://energized.edison.com/stories/save-3-500-on-a-new-nissan-leaf
"Drivers who are thinking about buying an electric vehicle have a new incentive to make the switch.

Nissan is offering Southern California Edison residential customers and employees a $3,500 rebate on the purchase of a new Nissan LEAF - Opens in new window. This includes all three trim levels with the 40 kWh battery and all current model years.

The rebate is on top of SCE’s $1,000 Clean Fuel Reward - Opens in new window, the federal EV tax credit - Opens in new window and any applicable California clean vehicle - Opens in new window rebates. Customers who buy a LEAF could save up to $14,500.

The offer is good at authorized Nissan dealerships and runs through April 1, or while vehicle supplies last, whichever comes first. Customers can find a nearby dealership using Nissan’s dealer locator - Opens in new window tool."

gene said:
I was so surprised to see that nobody has mentioned this incredible incentive for new 40 kw Leaf's.
The offer is good at authorized Nissan dealerships and runs through April 1, or while vehicle supplies last, whichever comes first. Customers can find a nearby dealership using Nissan’s dealer locator - Opens in new window tool."
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw". You're talking about 40 kWh Leafs. 40 kWh Leaf has a 110 kW motor. See https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2018-nissan-leaf-press-kit.

Also see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=520169#p520169.

As for thru April 1st, that's no surprise. 62 kWh Leaf e+ is supposed to ship Spring 2019. April 1st is the day that tax credit on GM EVs and PHEVs gets cut in half to $3750 from $7500. Presumably, Nissan wants to thin out stock of 40 kWh Leafs and perhaps doesn't feel the need to as heavily discount starting April 1st due to the GM tax credit reduction.

I'm not sure the incentive is that incredible. Just like the PG&E deal (https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page?title=20180424_pge_customers_eligible_to_save_3000_on_a_new_nissan_leaf_electric_vehicle) that ended 1/2/19, both are taken off MSRP ($3000 in the PG&E case). The flyer at https://energized.edison.com/internal_redirect/cms.ipressroom.com.s3.amazonaws.com/352/files/20190/Q4%20Fleetail%20Flyer%20-%20SCE.pdf also talks about $3500 off MSRP. Nobody in their right mind should be paying MSRP on an '18 or '19 Leaf anyway, so the savings might be minimal or 0 esp. given "This incentive cannot be combined with any other Nissan special incentives."

The $7500 has been going on since at least 2010. The $2500 (was $5000 at the beginning in 2010) has been going on for ages, since maybe 2011 or 2012. Unfortunately, an income limit was added so and I make too much $ so I can't qualify for CVRP.

Regardless, thanks for the mention for those in SCE-land who might've been unaware of both of these.

The 3500 off "deal" has been extended - and includes 2500 off a Leaf plus for SCE customers.

But the fine print on the flyer does say "off MSRP" so that indeed may not prove be very useful.
I already noticed a dealer in Santa Clarita offering a dealer discount of 3000 before any negotiating, including leaf plus.

I will say I was in AV Nissan in Palmdale and they definitely seemed like they wanted to sell a leaf to me, but I wasn't ready to talk offers.
But then they still had 4 or 5 SV's from 2018 sitting on their lot!

For my area you can currently get:

7500 FED credit
2500 state rebate
$1000 SCE rebate
$3000 Kern Air Rebate
*$3500/$2500 Nissan SCE off MSRP

That last one, I would think I would want to negotiate lower than 3500 below MSRP anyway, so I doubt they would allow it.
Especially on a Leaf plus, An SV with Tech and Weather pack comes out to $42105 MSRP before dealer add-ons!! :eek:

Anyway, in my area that's 14000 of REAL credits and rebates, 17500/16500 if somehow you use the Nissan SCE deal

Almost makes buying a leaf worth while, depending on how much you can talk them down on your own.
But my area is HOT and who knows how the plus battery will survive?

I keep hoping to see a Kia Niro EV at a dealer but none yet...

Anyway, link below to the SCE flyer.

https://energized.edison.com/internal_redirect/cms.ipressroom.com.s3.amazonaws.com/352/files/20193/SCE%20FY19%20Q1%20LEAF%20Fleetail%20Flyer%204-15-19.pdf

danrjones said:
I keep hoping to see a Kia Niro EV at a dealer but none yet...

Anyway, link below to the SCE flyer.

https://energized.edison.com/internal_redirect/cms.ipressroom.com.s3.amazonaws.com/352/files/20193/SCE%20FY19%20Q1%20LEAF%20Fleetail%20Flyer%204-15-19.pdf
The problem with the Niro is that it's overpriced. Base model is $40k. At that price, I'd rather have a Tesla.

danrjones said:
The 3500 off "deal" has been extended - and includes 2500 off a Leaf plus for SCE customers.

But the fine print on the flyer does say "off MSRP" so that indeed may not prove be very useful.
I already noticed a dealer in Santa Clarita offering a dealer discount of 3000 before any negotiating, including leaf plus.

I will say I was in AV Nissan in Palmdale and they definitely seemed like they wanted to sell a leaf to me, but I wasn't ready to talk offers.
But then they still had 4 or 5 SV's from 2018 sitting on their lot!

For my area you can currently get:

7500 FED credit
2500 state rebate
$1000 SCE rebate
$3000 Kern Air Rebate
*$3500/$2500 Nissan SCE off MSRP

That last one, I would think I would want to negotiate lower than 3500 below MSRP anyway, so I doubt they would allow it.
Especially on a Leaf plus, An SV with Tech and Weather pack comes out to $42105 MSRP before dealer add-ons!! :eek:

Anyway, in my area that's 14000 of REAL credits and rebates, 17500/16500 if somehow you use the Nissan SCE deal

Almost makes buying a leaf worth while, depending on how much you can talk them down on your own.
But my area is HOT and who knows how the plus battery will survive?
Not sure if a Bolt is something you'd consider and I don't know the reputation of this dealer, but I see some discounting at https://www.avchevy.com/inventory/new-Chevrolet-bolt_ev/. One can go to https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev-electric-car/build-and-price to learn about the 2 trim levels and the available equipment.

Federal tax credit on GM EVs/PHEVs is down to $3750 though. Bolt has thermal management and I'm unclear how much it will/can run if unplugged. The '19 Bolt manual has stuff like this:
Do not allow the vehicle to remain in
temperature extremes for long
periods without being driven or
plugged in. It is recommended that
the vehicle be plugged in when
temperatures are below 0 °C (32 °F)
and above 32 °C (90 °F) to
maximize high voltage battery life.
I'd imagine Bolt is eligible for the other non-Nissan specific incentives (SCE and Kern air). Bolt is definitely eligible for CVRP. You can also limit the % the Bolt charges up to on '19 Bolts. It's basically 40% to 100% in 5% increments.

Maybe a moderator can fix the title to use the right units? It's been a bit annoying to see this thread w/the wrong units keep bubbling up to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics.

I'm honestly not a big GM fan. I actually think the leaf looks nicer than the bolt. Plus the tax credit makes a difference. There is the battery issue though.

I agree the niro ev is over priced. But then aren't all EVs ? A dealer near me still has 2018 leaf's new on the lot and has only dtipped them 3000 off msrp. I can do better than that on a 2019! The kona ev is also over priced. I'm curious to see how the niro ev holds up.

danrjones said:
I'm honestly not a big GM fan.
I am not either. 3/3 of previous GM vehicles in our family (it wasn't my $ nor my decision to buy them back then) weren't so good in terms of reliability.

I'm just hoping that the money saved w/a Bolt when I got it ends up being worth it vs. a pricier Leaf Plus (wan't shipping at the time I bought my Bolt) w/no battery thermal management, no % SoC limiter, and AESC's checkered history when it comes to degradation vs. LG Chem's good rep (unfortunately, we don't know on the variant used in the Bolt). At least Bolt has a decent reliability rating in Consumer Reports, so far.

But, apply all your applicable incentives (and only $3750 Federal tax credit) to the Bolt prices I pointed and look at the EPA range ratings: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40520&id=40812&id=41276&id=41277. Yes, Bolt's interior quality is lousy and the front seats aren't particularly comfortable. And, there's no equivalent of ProPilot Assist or adaptive cruise control.

danrjones said:
I'm honestly not a big GM fan. I actually think the leaf looks nicer than the bolt. Plus the tax credit makes a difference. There is the battery issue though.

I agree the niro ev is over priced. But then aren't all EVs ? A dealer near me still has 2018 leaf's new on the lot and has only dtipped them 3000 off msrp. I can do better than that on a 2019! The kona ev is also over priced. I'm curious to see how the niro ev holds up.
How does anyone know what the Niro's price is? They haven't announced it yet for the U.S., and if the announced Canadian prices after conversion to U.S. dollars hold up, it's a great deal.

Because it is now on Kia's website and you can build and price it. The top trim with the one package came out at MSRP 45k last night for me. Or close to that.

cwerdna said:
danrjones said:
I'm honestly not a big GM fan.
I am not either. 3/3 of previous GM vehicles in our family (it wasn't my $ nor my decision to buy them back then) weren't so good in terms of reliability.

I'm just hoping that the money saved w/a Bolt when I got it ends up being worth it vs. a pricier Leaf Plus (wan't shipping at the time I bought my Bolt) w/no battery thermal management, no % SoC limiter, and AESC's checkered history when it comes to degradation vs. LG Chem's good rep (unfortunately, we don't know on the variant used in the Bolt). At least Bolt has a decent reliability rating in Consumer Reports, so far.

But, apply all your applicable incentives (and only $3750 Federal tax credit) to the Bolt prices I pointed and look at the EPA range ratings: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40520&id=40812&id=41276&id=41277. Yes, Bolt's interior quality is lousy and the front seats aren't particularly comfortable. And, there's no equivalent of ProPilot Assist or adaptive cruise control.

I'm waiting for my air district rebate in the mail. Have to have it upfront. Once I get that I'm going to see what kind of deals I can get on a 2019 or 2018 leaf sv. If I can get a great deal I might buy it and then trade it in next year, and do it all over again. I know the resale is lousy but with 14k or more rebates and tax breaks it could work. If i can't get the price I would want then I'll get a 2015 from carmax for a few years. I like the idea if the niro ev but it looks like limited availability this year. That also means dealers may gouge consumers. 45k is crazy. You can get a model 3 plus for that. Although I like the SUV/ hatchback designs better. Model y is around the corner...

danrjones said:
Because it is now on Kia's website and you can build and price it. The top trim with the one package came out at MSRP 45k last night for me. Or close to that.
Thanks, I see it. Amazingly, none of the usual EV sites (GCC, IEVS, GCR, ABG) I monitor seem to have noticed it yet. I'd be interested in the EX (base $38.5k MSRP + $995 dest. = $39,495), not the Premium ($44k + $995 dest.). Compare that to the smaller Kona, starting at $36,450 + $1,045 dest. = $37,495. Both are a lot less expensive than the Model 3 SR+, when you include the fed. tax credit. the one thing that bugs me about the Niro is the lack of bright colors offered - three of the four cars I've owned have been silver metallic, and while it's a very long-lasting color that reflects heat well, I'd been hoping for a change to something less low-key. But the lack of AWD is the main reason I'd decide against it. The Soul should be available in brighter colors.

GRA said:
danrjones said:
Thanks, I see it. Amazingly, none of the usual EV sites (GCC, IEVS, GCR, ABG) I monitor seem to have noticed it yet. I'd be interested in the EX (base $38.5k MSRP + $995 dest. = $39,495), not the Premium ($44k + $995 dest.). Compare that to the smaller Kona, starting at $36,450 + $1,045 dest. = $37,495. Both are a lot less expensive than the Model 3 SR+, when you include the fed. tax credit. the one thing that bugs me about the Niro is the lack of bright colors offered - three of the four cars I've owned have been silver metallic, and while it's a very long-lasting color that reflects heat well, I'd been hoping for a change to something less low-key. But the lack of AWD is the main reason I'd decide against it. The Soul should be available in brighter colors.

I didn't really have time to compare the two trims much but I did notice that you had to add a package to the top trim just to get led lights.

danrjones said:
Model y is around the corner...
Knowing Tesla's track record, I wouldn't expect them to be on time, at least w/lower equipment levels.

Remember the below about the Model 3 from https://web.archive.org/web/20170731003139/https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3-reservations-faq:
Which future options will be made available to order, and when?
We are planning to introduce the following options in the coming months:

Fall 2017: White interior option, standard configuration (non-Premium Upgrades)
November 2017: Standard Battery, $35,000 car
Spring 2018: Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Additional options will become available over time.

Will there still be a $35,000 Model 3 option?
Yes. Our first production Model 3 vehicles are preconfigured to ensure a smooth production ramp so that we can deliver more cars to more customers at a faster pace. The beginning configuration is a Long Range Battery with rear-wheel drive and premium upgrades, starting at $49,000. These vehicles come with three options for customization: wheel size, exterior color and Autopilot features.

Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017.

We are shipping our first cars to employees now and expect to begin shipping the Long Range Battery configuration to customers in late October. The Standard Battery configuration will be available very soon thereafter.
Tesla quietly removed most references to the SR (https://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Tesla-quietly-deletes-the-Model-3-standard-13627667.php) Then, suddenly, people were finally able to "order" SR (opened late Feb 2019: https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/28/tesla-finally-opens-up-ordering-on-the-35000-standard-range-model-3/) and nobody received their car. Then suddenly we got https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-vehicle-lineup, announced April 11, 2019. The coming weekend, folks who wanted an SR got one (software limited SR+). SR is off menu right now. I suspect it'll go away as a choice.

Oh I'm not buying a TESLA, not right now anyway, for various reasons -> but more competition is a good thing.

If you removed the fact that the niro ev is an ev, and someone told you you could buy a compact crossover kia for 45k, you'd think they were insane. Same with the Leaf plus for that matter. I'm not sure if its true cost because that's how expensive the batteries really are, or gouging is going on, but that's too much for me even with tax credits. A 45k kia would be 45k plus 10% for taxes and dmv, then minus 14k in rebates, and I'm still way over 30k.

But with a bigger and bigger section coming, prices should come down. So I guess I'm still on my plan to see if I can negotiate a good deal on a standard SV, and if not, carmax a used one.

danrjones said:
I didn't really have time to compare the two trims much but I did notice that you had to add a package to the top trim just to get led lights.
LED lights are way down my list of priorities. Getting cloth seats rather than leather ranks much higher. Most of the options that come with the top trim are things I'd rather not have or can easily do without to save $5,500, e.g. the premium sound system has zero value to me now that I'm so deaf that even with my hearing aids, the Beatles sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks! LED lights are a pretty minor energy savings compared to the heat pump, and may or may not provide better lighting - in any case, the aftermarket awaits to solve that issue, probably less expensively. Don't need or want power seats either, etc.

I've noticed that most of the factory LED headlights ARE superior compared to their downgraded halogens. My Subaru outback has superb led headlights. For me its not the "cool" factor rather I actually like to see! When we first got our outback with LED headlights I realized just how piss poor the headlights on most cars actually are. I then changed my truck to HID, so I am familiar with after market and upgrading. If I get a 2015 SV I'll have to do that as well. But it just seems like a modern car for over 30k (or 44k!!) should have GOOD headlights.

If you want to see just how poor headlights are, IIHS rates them on a lot of new cars, starting a year or two ago. For whatever reason they never did the LEAF. They have rated the niro and niro plugin for kia, and sure enough the HIDs on the Niro got a good rating while the halogen got a poor rating. The LEDs on the niro plugin also got a poor rating, but that's due to glare. Which might simply mean the headlights are factory adjusted too high. But the point is, headlights are a big safety issue that I now take very seriously. YMMV

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings

danrjones said:
I've noticed that most of the factory LED headlights ARE superior compared to their downgraded halogens. My Subaru outback has superb led headlights. For me its not the "cool" factor rather I actually like to see! When we first got our outback with LED headlights I realized just how piss poor the headlights on most cars actually are. I then changed my truck to HID, so I am familiar with after market and upgrading. If I get a 2015 SV I'll have to do that as well. But it just seems like a modern car for over 30k (or 44k!!) should have GOOD headlights.

If you want to see just how poor headlights are, IIHS rates them on a lot of new cars, starting a year or two ago. For whatever reason they never did the LEAF. They have rated the niro and niro plugin for kia, and sure enough the HIDs on the Niro got a good rating while the halogen got a poor rating. The LEDs on the niro plugin also got a poor rating, but that's due to glare. Which might simply mean the headlights are factory adjusted too high. But the point is, headlights are a big safety issue that I now take very seriously. YMMV

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings
I take it seriously too and look at IIHS ratings, but as you've just noted, simply trusting that LED will be better ain't necessarily so. With the change to lots of low drag, stylish, headlights, average light effectiveness seems to have become almost an afterthought, including from many companies that usually emphasize safety features (as reflected in their high crash test results). Course, I can still remember the age of OEM sealed beams and the switch to halogens.

Back