Potentially buying 2013 Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBillz

Hi --

I used to have a 2011 under lease and turned it in after the initial 2 years. I recently started looking at used Leaf's just to keep miles off my other car for short distances.

I'm going to look at a 2013 S (pre April) and was just wondering what kind of SOH I should expect if I run Leafspy? The owner mentions it has lost 1 bar at 25k and the car has not been in any extreme climates. It is local in NJ. The mileage is now ~ 30k.

For warranty, wouldn't the batteries still be covered until 2021 if the battery degrades much further?

FYI -- I've been searching around the forum, but a lot of the data is somewhat old when it comes to Leafspy readings.

I don't plan to drive this long distances so ~50-70 mile range would be great.

Thanks in advance!

LeftieBiker said:
Please read this:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

A pre April 2013 Leaf has the same battery chemistry as the 2011 and 2012 Leaf. Any SOH over 80% would be remarkably good.

Thanks -- I did read through the link -- It's very good.. There are other articles mentioning the pre April 2013 date is not really confirmed, but more of a rumor..

When discussing SOH -- isn't losing 1 bar essentially saying less than 85% SOH?

There are other articles mentioning the pre April 2013 date is not really confirmed, but more of a rumor..

More than a rumor: I used wholesale auction data that included build month and capacity bars to formulate the theory, and everything we have seen since 2015 has confirmed it.

Yes. A "Canary" pack with only one bar lost, if not a reset victim, was kept cool and treated well. One bar lost means between about 79% and 84% SOH.

I believe I recently came across a very early 4/2013 (like 1st week or 4/2013) with quite a bit of capacity loss and judging by the location, it may not have had a better pack. Memory foggy.

It's unknown when in 4/2013 the switch actually happened.

I agree with Leftie. Not a rumor. I've seen numerous examples of pre-4/2013 '13 Leafs that have batteries just as bad as model year '11 and '12 Leafs. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=562230#p562230 was a recent example of a 7 bar 3/2013 built '13. Unknown to me where in the Bay Area it resided before.

(My 5/2013 '13 Leaf still has 11 bars. Lost 1st bar in Nov 2017. I'm still at SOH around 81.xx to 83.xx%. Was 82.xx% in the past few weeks.)

LeftieBiker said:
There are other articles mentioning the pre April 2013 date is not really confirmed, but more of a rumor..

More than a rumor: I used wholesale auction data that included build month and capacity bars to formulate the theory, and everything we have seen since 2015 has confirmed it.

Yes. A "Canary" pack with only one bar lost, if not a reset victim, was kept cool and treated well. One bar lost means between about 79% and 84% SOH.

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense to me. At what soh or other readings would Nissan replace under warranty for a 2013?

FlatBillz said:
Thanks for the advice. Makes sense to me. At what soh or other readings would Nissan replace under warranty for a 2013?
The LEAF capacity warranty kicked in at 8 capacity bars on the dash, however, given that the capacity warranty for those LEAFs was 5 years/60K miles, a 2013 isn't going to qualify no matter how many bars it has now.

Just curious -- do you have any recent auction sales prices for 2013 Leaf S.. Just trying to get a feel for what one is actually worth with 1-2 bars gone..

Thanks!

FlatBillz said:

Just curious -- do you have any recent auction sales prices for 2013 Leaf S.. Just trying to get a feel for what one is actually worth with 1-2 bars gone..

Thanks!

Sorry, no. Someone else (OrientExpress?) was posting the info. I just saw something in the data that hadn't been noticed by others, at that time.

I have a 1/2013 build LEAF S. I lost the first bar at 45,000 miles but I seem to have been piling on the miles faster than this car. I was at 80% SOH at 54,000 miles and 10 months after the first bar dropped. I am now at 68% at 63,800 miles. For the most part, I was quite conscientious about battery health. I did do repeated QCs during a couple of summer road trips though.

like2bike said:
I have a 1/2013 build LEAF S. I lost the first bar at 45,000 miles but I seem to have been piling on the miles faster than this car. I was at 80% SOH at 54,000 miles and 10 months after the first bar dropped. I am now at 68% at 63,800 miles. For the most part, I was quite conscientious about battery health. I did do repeated QCs during a couple of summer road trips though.

You did very, very well given the chemistry of your Leaf's battery.

like2bike said:

How many miles are you now getting per charge with 68% SOH?

FlatBillz said:
How many miles are you now getting per charge with 68% SOH?

I find the 68% fairly accurate. My daughter uses the car and is reporting 70 GOM miles with her somewhat slow driving. I think I would get 58 miles on the highway.

Back