Nissan CPO at dealer showing 8 bars, automatic new battery if I buy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinA

I found a certified pre owned Leaf at a dealer with only 8 bars. But CPO leafs are supposed to have 9 bars. I'm wondering if I buy this Leaf Nissan will replace the battery? It's a 2015 with 70k miles on it. Thanks for any advice.

I believe the capacity warranty on that car is 5 years (from in-service date) or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

If the certified warranty doesn’t explicitly state the car will retain nine bars or greater I wouldn’t count on a new battery when purchasing this car.

mtndrew1 said:
I believe the capacity warranty on that car is 5 years (from in-service date) or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

If the certified warranty doesn’t explicitly state the car will retain nine bars or greater I wouldn’t count on a new battery when purchasing this car.

This is correct. As a 2015, it has a 24 kWh battery, which carries at 60k mile warranty. Newer Leafs with the 30 or 40 kWh battery have a 100k mile warranty.

I have not heard of any extended warranty that covers battery capacity, only defects. If this car does have a capacity warranty, then it would qualify.

Assuming no warranty: Unless this car is a very very good price and your range needs are short, I would pass on it. This car is not worth more than ~$5-6k. I say that because you could get a 2013 with 11 bars from cwerdna on this forum for $6.5k, which would be a much better car.

Thanks for your replies. I also found this document that explains the CPO warranty, which pretty much excludes everything important on an electric vehicle;

2. Any and all electric or hybrid vehicle systems/components, including but not limited to, high voltage (HV) components (including batteries and cells), hybrid transmission, powertrain control systems: inverters, converters, motors, generators, battery chargers, HV PCUs and PCMs; and regenerative braking systems

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/userdata/11421/files/2017%20cpo%20warrantybooklet.pdf

If you can get the Nissan Gold Preferred extended warranty, that appears to extend the capacity warranty. However, if the car has less than 60k miles now it should be covered under the original capacity warranty UNLESS the in service date was 5 years or more ago. The 2015 Leafs went on sale on or before June of 2014.

Back