Is it a bad idea to install a tow hitch on a Leased Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DionysianLogic

I’ve got exactly 2 years left on my lease for my 2019 Leaf (40kWh).
I’d really like to install a tow hitch [Torklift Central EcoHitch], but I’m not sure if it will end up costing me when it’s time to go over my end of lease options with the dealership.

And I assume that asking the dealership directly might not be in my best interest.

But I’m also aware that the hitch may need to be installed by the dealership’s mechanics in order to steer clear of violating any terms or warranties.

This is my first vehicle.
I assume I’ll just “trade up” when the lease ends, and that the dealership might be likely to give me a good deal in order to keep me from going elsewhere.

I see the tow hitch as something that could add to the car’s value (since I live in a rural area where that’s helpful).
But I assume it can also be a liability, as an extra drain on battery life.

Thoughts?

If you buy or lease another Nissan, and the cutout for the hitch is the only 'damage' done, then they will likely not ding you for it - especially if you save that piece of bumper cover and glue it back on before turning the car in, if you remove the hitch. I would use the pre-turn-in inspection to find out if you need to remove the hitch or not.

I don't know but https://www.nissanfinance.com/eol?ln=en points to the guide at https://www.nissanfinance.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00P1T00001KAdGEUA1 (NISSAN GUIDE TO CHARGEABLE WEAR AND USE).

Also, keep in mind the tow rating of the Leaf is 0 lbs. (Yeah yeah, some people attach bike racks...)

For me, I would likely never install a tow hitch as it is (have never done so and have never had a car with one) but any sort of modifications to a car that I'm leasing and don't intend to buy, would be a nono in my book, unless I'm prepared to pay up.

I didn't get noted for having a plug in my charge port compartment where I ran a 12 volt hardwired charging cable. I'll be doing it again with this car. Most inspectors aren't super-strict, and are looking for specific kinds of damage. The OP's best bet is to talk to third party car inspection companies that NMAC uses.

Back