Good deal, thoughts and hello again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tansleypete

Hi All

I joined this forum 3 years ago when we got our first Nissan Leaf - a 24kW 2014.

We are now looking to upgrade and have got a price on a September 2019 Tekna where they will give us £6400 for our Leaf and we end up paying just under £14000. Is that a good deal?

I like the car and wouldn’t necessarily have gone for the Tekna but quite enjoy the heated seats and the sound system!

Will the Tekna hold its value more?
We have a PodPoint home charger - will it charge at 7kW - does anyone know?
Also what questions should I ask about the 40kW?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also it is the Spring Cloud colour - I quite like it but my wife doesn’t!

Thanks for spending time reading and hopefully responding.

It sounds like a good price for the UK from what I have seen.

What are your driving need?

Its funny, but for my wife the heated seats, steering wheel, and remote heat are the only features that really matter to her.

I don't know about the UK trims or value, but in the US the 40 is not holding its value really well. But to be fair, that's mostly because of all the rebates and credits on the new version.

KBB says my one year old 2018 is valued at around 18k. I think the MSRP was upper 30's.

BUT in my area you save as much as 14k with credits and rebates, which helps you buy it new, but hurts resale. Who would buy a used when newer is cheaper? Hence the lousy resale.

Only the least expensive version of the Leaf (known in the US as the S) without the Charge Package has the slow 3.3kw onboard charger. All other versions have the 6.6kw charger. In Europe, though, the situation is more complicated. Does the car have a DC Fast Charge port?

Thanks everyone for your responses.
The main reason for the upgrade is that my wife needs to do a 100 mile round trip when she starts a placement later this year. We love how our current Leaf drives. So for me it seems great because it will do that journey and its a newer car and has better accessories - DAB radio!

I think the car has the 7kW Type 2 but I am not sure what the Pod Point will give out. Will they have installed it as 3.3 in the first place?

With the price I was hoping that a Tekna kit will be more sought after in the second hand market in a few years if we need to upgrade. It’s not a deal breaker, just more of a question.

So for all those that have gone from a 24kW to a 40kW was there anything that you wished you had known or asked?

We moved from 24 to 62. Like you, we really enjoyed our first Leaf so didn't feel the competition offered enough differential to switch brands given the experience.

The one feature I pushed and paid to have yet rarely use was Propilot. Many people love adaptive cruise control. I use it sparingly. It might be different if I had a daunting commute.

pro pilot I only really find useful in heavy stop and go commute traffic, it does lower the stress. but yea other than that not too useful to me yet.

I use Pro-Pilot every day and love it

My only thought is what trim level is your tekna and does it have the heat pump option? The heat pump really helps with range due to the lheat pump COP(coefficient of power) ratios

Because a 150 mile car with pack age degradation and if cold enough winter may be a challenge unless she has a charging option at her destination & then it's a non issue even with a 80% SOH pack

I am not sure about the trim level. It is Tekna but doesn’t have the pro-pilot parking. I don’t know further than that.

How will I know if it has a heat pump?

tansleypete said:
I joined this forum 3 years ago when we got our first Nissan Leaf - a 24kW 2014.

We are now looking to upgrade and have got a price on a September 2019 Tekna
Will the Tekna hold its value more?
We have a PodPoint home charger - will it charge at 7kW - does anyone know?
Also what questions should I ask about the 40kW?
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not 'kW". Charging rate is measured in kW. See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=520169#p520169 for more. There are no "24 kW", "40 kW" nor "62 kW" Leafs.

Unfortunately, this is a US-centric forum. Our trim levels are S, SV and SL. There can be similarity betwen your trim levels and ours in terms of equipment but there are no guarantees. We'd need to look at specs and/or table of the trim levels and what equipment is standard, optional or n/a on each. Example under Specs tab at https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-bc5df8c40e6e686b4db9c27c7b0385ab-2020-nissan-leaf-press-kit. Stupidly, whoever put together the table also made some unit errors (e.g. 40kW Leaf... argh). 40 kWh Leaf has a motor rated at 110 kW, which is correct vs. the 62 kWh Leaf Plus having a 160 kW motor (the table got it wrong but the verbiage of the press release is right).

Heck, we've had some differences between US and Canadian trims w/the same marketing letter.

Since so few of us here are in the UK or anywhere in Europe, it's hard for us to answer outside US trim level questions. Pro-pilot parking is not even available in the US. Also, AFAIK, DAB radio doesn't exist in the US.

I've never heard of PodPoint before. I doubt they exist in the US.

As others have pointed out, it's rather impossible for us Americans to comment on UK resale values. Leafs still are eligible for $7500 Federal tax credit (https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml) and there can be other incentives in some states (e.g. $2K CA CVRP or more for whatever they have in Colorado). Leaf resale value generally looks poor/low because of this and due to incentives provided by the automaker since nobody in the right mind would pay MSRP on a Leaf + other factors. And, generally, the industry looks at resale value by comparing to original MSRP.

Back