NorCal dealers have many SL Leaf Plus for low 35Ks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queuetee

More than 10K off from MSRP. I am tempted to pull the trigger, but my sense tells me I should wait and see in 2021.
It seems to me Nissan dealers have a very hard time to move SL Leaf Plus, I monitor the SL Leaf Plus that I like, it sits there with 36,500 for months, now the dealer discount to $35,200. I really don't know how low they would go.

Not everyone likes leather upholstery - especially in colder climates. We also saw SL Pluses sitting on lots. We just arranged to lease a loaded SV Plus for about the same price.

To be honest, I don't see how Nissan can sell SL Leaf Plus with 45K price range.
VW ID4 SUV will sell in US this Chrismas for 40K with 250 miles range, a much better car
Mustang March E will sell around 43K, way much better car
Its own car, the Ariya, will sell around 40K too, and this is like 10 times better than the Leaf
and there is a Tesla Model 3 starts at 37K. The argument of no Fed Tax of $7,500 is valid here. Because of this, I myself is thinking to get the Leaf. If there was not $7,500, I would have taken Model 3 over the Leaf any day.

How can the Nissan Leaf Plus compete with those cars? Why put up a high MSRP 45K, then you give a huge discount every month. I bet no one in the world would spend that money to buy 45K MSRP.

Is very interesting to see how car makers will compete with Tesla in EVs. The only advantage they have now is tax-credit.

queuetee said:
Is very interesting to see how car makers will compete with Tesla in EVs. The only advantage they have now is tax-credit.
And a far better UI, build quality and interior.
There is a point to hard switches and knobs.

There are left over 2019 SV Pluses for under 30k around here.

https://www.autobarnnissan.com/inventory/new-2019-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-fwd-4d-hatchback-1n4bz1cp1kc321209/

While we really enjoy our 2019 SV Plus, I jumped too soon last year. That said, it enabled many fun road trips with my teenagers the past year and a half, so not complaining too much.

queuetee said:
To be honest, I don't see how Nissan can sell SL Leaf Plus with 45K price range.
VW ID4 SUV will sell in US this Chrismas for 40K with 250 miles range, a much better car
Its own car, the Ariya, will sell around 40K too, and this is like 10 times better than the Leaf

and there is a Tesla Model 3 starts at 37K. The argument of no Fed Tax of $7,500 is valid here. Because of this, I myself is thinking to get the Leaf. If there was not $7,500, I would have taken Model 3 over the Leaf any day.

How can the Nissan Leaf Plus compete with those cars? Why put up a high MSRP 45K, then you give a huge discount every month. I bet no one in the world would spend that money to buy 45K MSRP.

I do agree that the Leaf has always been ridiculously overpriced. However, I have to say I choked on your reference to these 3 "future"cars, especially the VW, being a "way better car."

I dream of owning a VAG product in the future, because I love their overall concept, but after the QC issues of the last decade, and having been burned by the diesel fiasco, I wouldn't ever think of them as being "better" in any way. Conceptually, perhaps, but not in a road-worthy way.

As for the MustangE and the Ariya, they're not even rolling yet.

In my experience, buying used, it has been by far the "best" in cost of ownership and reliability: 4 1/2 years, 40k miles: wiper blades, cabin filter, 12v battery, tires (accident too one out, decided to replace all 4)

gncndad said:
queuetee said:

I do agree that the Leaf has always been ridiculously overpriced. However, I have to say I choked on your reference to these 3 "future"cars, especially the VW, being a "way better car."

I dream of owning a VAG product in the future, because I love their overall concept, but after the QC issues of the last two decades, and having been burned by the diesel fiasco, I wouldn't ever think of them as being "better" in any way. Conceptually "better", perhaps, but not in a road-worthy way. (VW Phaeton? ALL the auto pundits loved it, more than the Mercedes S class, but during road tests, it kept stalling for no reason...repeatedly...)

As for the MustangE and the Ariya, they're not even rolling yet.

In my experience, buying a Leaf used, it has been by far the "best" in cost of ownership and reliability: 4 1/2 years, 40k miles: wiper blades, cabin filter, 12v battery, tires (accident too one out, decided to replace all 4)

DougWantsALeaf said:
There are left over 2019 SV Pluses for under 30k around here.
https://www.autobarnnissan.com/inventory/new-2019-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-fwd-4d-hatchback-1n4bz1cp1kc321209/
Indeed -- under $28k. If the buyer is also eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit then it is ~ $20k. I'm still not sure that putting money into a car with CHAdeMO, no TMS, and a tottering on BK Nissan is wise but it is tempting.

uc

queuetee said:

The simple answer is they don't. Discounting 2011 and 2012, when is the last time you heard anyone paying within $5,000 of sticker?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Do we think we are seeing an uptick in sales on the Leaf with all of the discounts?
A lease should be strongly considered instead of buying even at these discounted prices.
Nissan has questionable traction battery practices, i.e., they have no firm plans to upgrade or refurbish traction batteries. Their policy appears to be to scrap the car when the battery is depleted or pay more than the car is worth for a new battery.
I had hoped someone would have a solution by now; but, so far to the best of my knowledge, no trustworthy solution is available. There are people working on the problem; and, there is still hope. There are a 1/2 million Nissan Leafs on the roads...that's a large aftermarket.

A lease should be strongly considered instead of buying even at these discounted prices.

I agree, but not mainly for the same reason. There is something like $10.5k in lease incentives, making it just as cost effective - and also safer for the above reason - to lease the car and then buy it off lease if the battery is good and you like it. That's what we are doing with the new SV+. She doesn't need more than 100 miles of range, so the SV+ should be able to serve for more than 10 years.

fotajoye said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Do we think we are seeing an uptick in sales on the Leaf with all of the discounts?
Nissan has questionable traction battery practices, i.e., they have no firm plans to upgrade or refurbish traction batteries. Their policy appears to be to scrap the car when the battery is depleted or pay more than the car is worth for a new battery.
I had hoped someone would have a solution by now; but, so far to the best of my knowledge, no trustworthy solution is available. There are people working on the problem; and, there is still hope. There are a 1/2 million Nissan Leafs on the roads...that's a large aftermarket.

When are we going to realize that leases allows an entirely new group of people to participate? Zero down, moderate monthly payments, full tax credit... that is not available to everyone but the lease makes it possible with moderate credit.

As far as trustworthy battery replacement options, I won't comment on "trustworthy" but there are over a dozen now that have done 3rd party replacements and are very happy with the results but then again, 3X the range overnight makes "happiness" an easy thing.

FYI; still looking for anyone who has lost a capacity bar 40 kwh and newer. 2 verified over 100K, another certainly over by now but no recent reports.

Back