EVSE purchase....cart before horse?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The test drive in August or September will be my final decision maker. All the videos and blogs of people who have driven a LEAF have been about their experience driving the test model. The Nissan chat person said the "Ride and Drive" tour would have production models for us to drive. Once I've driven one, then I'll make my decision about a charger. It is unreasonable for people with reservations to get a charger installed without first ordering the vehicle. If we order in August and delivery is in December, there will be plenty of time for charger installations.

Point #1: The article is wrong. You do not have to install an EVSE to get a Leaf.

Point #2: The EVSE is not specific to the Leaf. It will be useful if you ever intend to have a highway-capable pluggable car. It implements the SAE standard for 120v/240v AC charging of electric vehicles. That standard is what all the new public charging stations will be using. I can't imagine that any future EV or PHEV would try to come out with something incompatible.

Point #3: The reason Nissan is pushing people to install the EVSE first is so we can save money. The current 50% rebate expires at the end of this year. It may be extended through a new bill just introduced in Congress, but Nissan had no way of knowing that when it put its implementation plan together.

planet4ever said:
Point #1: The article is wrong. You do not have to install an EVSE to get a Leaf.

Point #2: The EVSE is not specific to the Leaf. It will be useful if you ever intend to have a highway-capable pluggable car. It implements the SAE standard for 120v/240v AC charging of electric vehicles. That standard is what all the new public charging stations will be using. I can't imagine that any future EV or PHEV would try to come out with something incompatible.

Point #3: The reason Nissan is pushing people to install the EVSE first is so we can save money. The current 50% rebate expires at the end of this year. It may be extended through a new bill just introduced in Congress, but Nissan had no way of knowing that when it put its implementation plan together.

Also,

Point #4: No mention of ECOtality North America deploying free chargers for subset of initial adopters.

Back