Lease option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydreams

I'm going to be trading in my old ICE when I get a Leaf. I may buy or lease a Leaf (undecided). If I leased, is there any way to trade-in my ICE and have that value count as a down payment or count toward X number of months of lease payments or something? I'd rather not have to sell my old car myself because that's simply a hassle (I know, I'd get more for selling than trading in)

I've never leased before. Anyone have any ideas on trade-in's and leases??

Thx!!

Yes... any net amount from your trade can be applied to your lease (just like when trading in a car to purchase a new car). Only caution is generally you don't want to put a lot of money down when you lease (kind-of defeats the purpose) so you may want to consider selling the car yourself. I too don't like the hastle so I've started using CarMax... they give you an easy price quote for free. In fact, I went to trade my old Saab and got low balls from all my local dealers... then I took it to CarMax and they gave me $2000 more then all dealers would on trade. I've been a fan ever since (I actually take all my cars in once a year to get a quote so I can track the value of my vehicles).

Vlad92 said:
Yes... any net amount from your trade can be applied to your lease (just like when trading in a car to purchase a new car). Only caution is generally you don't want to put a lot of money down when you lease (kind-of defeats the purpose) so you may want to consider selling the car yourself. I too don't like the hastle so I've started using CarMax... they give you an easy price quote for free. In fact, I went to trade my old Saab and got low balls from all my local dealers... then I took it to CarMax and they gave me $2000 more then all dealers would on trade. I've been a fan ever since (I actually take all my cars in once a year to get a quote so I can track the value of my vehicles).

Thanks for the suggestion, Vlad. I thought about CarMax, but didn't know if they're in the business of screwing you or not. ;) I'll swing by there and see what they'll offer me for the car and then see what my dealer will offer me.

Someone at work said that even on a lease, the dealer would apply whatever amount to the down-payment that I wanted and that they'd write me a check for the rest. At least I have options!!

Jimmydreams said:
I'm going to be trading in my old ICE when I get a Leaf. I may buy or lease a Leaf (undecided). If I leased, is there any way to trade-in my ICE and have that value count as a down payment or count toward X number of months of lease payments or something? I'd rather not have to sell my old car myself because that's simply a hassle (I know, I'd get more for selling than trading in)

I've never leased before. Anyone have any ideas on trade-in's and leases??

Thx!!
To answer your question directly...if you have a loan on your current vehicle, then you'd get X number of months, 'tax-free'. If you own it outright/no balance, then the 'tax credit' would only allow you to save tax on the diff between the selling price and trade-value.

Back