Nissan's AV EVSE Waiver

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

I just checked my Reservation account on-line and there is still no way to "bypass" the AV Assessment, and no mention of the "waiver".

I called the LEAF Customer Service line and asked about this "waiver" that many of us might need to "sign" before we can actually order near the end of this month (coming soon).

The lady said that we will "go to a dealer" to order, and we can sign the waiver there. Also, the text of the waiver is not yet available.

But, she thought the waiver would just affirm that Nissan informed us about their "good-friend" AV's services and product. After all, the 3-year AV warranty, and the one-stop install, with the EVSE device testing, IS worth something.

Perhaps we can "haggle" on-line (if we choose to) with a dealer, but then it seems that we actually "order" (sign some papers?) in person at the dealer. They usually take credit info, etc., I believe.

We should hear more in another email that is to arrive before we begin to "haggle" for our order specifics and price.

We will have to wait to see what actually happens during haggling and ordering, and for options, prices, and even the "real" colors.

However, if you have chosen a dealer, you can probably visit in person and get some of the "basic, standard" car-buying paperwork started.

I don't even have an option to request an assessment in my on-line account.

I thought the waiver was about relying on Level 1 charging, not about AV's EVSE.
:?

Has the Av assessment really been 10K.?They are doing my whole dealership 22k That's four charging stations and a lot of work. It's my understanding that the home version is 2200, and that the feds will pick up half.

so 2400 avg, and the feds pick up 50%, so 1200. Sounds reasonable. I am worried for people who go the waiver route.

mossyleaf said:
so 2400 avg, and the feds pick up 50%, so 1200. Sounds reasonable. I am worried for people who go the waiver route.

The problem is - AV installers are asking for huge amounts for no particular reason. A simple install that would cost $300+parts are being estimated at $1,200.

Anyway, from new posts two things are now possible
Code:
+ Get waiver from Nissan/AV & use 120V if that is sufficient
+ Get waiver from Nissan/AV and buy an EVSE & get it installed privately 
  - Either the Leviton EVSE
  - May be AV will sell the EVSE directly, according to new posts.

Nissan needs to handle this before it starts coming up in media. There are people in the media just waiting to report on anything negative about electric cars.

evnow said:
Nissan needs to handle this before it starts coming up in media. There are people in the media just waiting to report on anything negative about electric cars.

I completely agree, this EVSE situation is running out of control. This could be a major source of negative reporting in the media and also more FUD for GM and Volt.

That makes sense to me. I am not suprised if the quotes are lofty, especiall when they know you have to have the assesment and your "choice" made prior to ordering and that you are getting 50% back from the feds.

mossyleaf said:

Why would you worry about folks that get a waiver?

AndyH said:
mossyleaf said:

Why would you worry about folks that get a waiver?

Yes - I don't think there is any need to worry. I'm sure people who get a waiver are geeks who know how to manage ... it is unlikely they will then crib about either the difficulty in getting L2 EVSE / permits or about the 110V taking too long to charge.

mossyleaf said:
That makes sense to me. I am not suprised if the quotes are lofty, especiall when they know you have to have the assesment and your "choice" made prior to ordering and that you are getting 50% back from the feds.
I think they're mistaken. Bypassing AV is no big deal as far as I can tell and they're ignoring the fact that the 50% rebate is subject AMT so, some folks are paying full freight.

I found this forum recently.

The huge cost of AV's EVSE has been a big negative for me from day 1. Because of AMT, I would be paying the full cost of the EVSE (no 50% rebate). I can't imagine paying $2k plus to put in essentially a new circuit and an EVSE worth probably $500.

But now I see that there are other options available. I would be glad to take the waiver and have the EVSE installed either by myself or by my electrician.

We have two "custom" estimates at $1500 and $10,900, with most estimates being the "standard" $2100 to $2350 (or so).

Those with too-high "standard" estimates should ask Nissan for a more reasonable "custom" estimate from AV.

Those with too-high "custom" estimates should ask Nissan for a detailed estimate for their install job.

If AV is unwilling or unable to comply, ... their offer does not expire until 31 Dec, 2010, I believe.

Back