Group Buying Strategies

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFer

Hello everyone !

My (almost) first post. I joined because I saw the Bay Area Group Buy thread after seeing the $1,000 OFF MSRP Fontana offer. But I am in the Sacramento Area. That kind of discount makes me think I'd go thru a lot of hassle and pick up the car in SoCal. But on second thought, the BayArea is obviously more convenient. I'd be willing to drive at 30mph to get it back home from the BayArea to make it (that's how excited I am about this car!).

All this has me thinking. And I'd like to start a strategy discussion.

I am in the first wave (August order), so I have to make a decision really soon. If a competitive Group Buy effort for the BayArea does not get completed by the time Nissan's email arrives, I would order from Fontana. I have also heard about local Sacramento folks with August orders, and naturally a Group Buy Effort here -- if successful -- is the most convenient. But because time is short ... it raises many questions (and opportunities).

Like me, many BayArea folk might be willing to travel to a Sacramento area dealer and take the car back home if Sacramento Group Buy efforts were to come to fruition first. But I have not yet heard of an effort that has started here. One immediate question this raises, is, would BayArea LEAF aspirants reciprocate and join the Sacramento Group Effort ? Or should we set up one long list ? What happens if the effort is incomplete by the August order date ? I guess the order would go to the local dealer at MSRP and the Group Buy would lose one car off the list. This alone should be an incentive for each area’s basket of dealers to step up to the plate quickly. If they don’t they might still capture wave 2 or later, but they might also lose out permanently for lack of effort or demonstration of good will in this early round.

One difficulty in planning how to proceed is the distance from the customer to the eventual dealer. Some of us may be willing to go thru a lot of hassle, others not so much. I personally am not willing to spend most of the $1,000 savings on having the car trucked to my home, so I would spend a day or two driving it back myself. But if we set up one large list that includes both Sacramento and BayArea … where does it stop ?

Anyway. Just wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thinks might be the best way to proceed.

A group buy from sacramento makes far more sense to the dealer as they are out of the area and it is better for the local buyer clearly. Bay area dealers have a tendency to stick together on pricing (remember MINI) but Sacramento has everything to gain.

Another one to consider- Nissan of Elk Grove, 8590 Laguna Grove Dr., Elk Grove, CA 1(888)377-2430

Nissan of Elk Grove is about 1/2 way between Sacramento and the Mid Bay Area.

If we don't have enough buyers in the Bay Area, I'd switch groups to whichever will get us the volume discount.

LEAFer said:
Hello everyone !

My (almost) first post. I joined because I saw the Bay Area Group Buy thread after seeing the $1,000 OFF MSRP Fontana offer. But I am in the Sacramento Area. That kind of discount makes me think I'd go thru a lot of hassle and pick up the car in SoCal. But on second thought, the BayArea is obviously more convenient. I'd be willing to drive at 30mph to get it back home from the BayArea to make it (that's how excited I am about this car!).

All this has me thinking. And I'd like to start a strategy discussion.

I am in the first wave (August order), so I have to make a decision really soon. If a competitive Group Buy effort for the BayArea does not get completed by the time Nissan's email arrives, I would order from Fontana. I have also heard about local Sacramento folks with August orders, and naturally a Group Buy Effort here -- if successful -- is the most convenient. But because time is short ... it raises many questions (and opportunities).

Like me, many BayArea folk might be willing to travel to a Sacramento area dealer and take the car back home if Sacramento Group Buy efforts were to come to fruition first. But I have not yet heard of an effort that has started here. One immediate question this raises, is, would BayArea LEAF aspirants reciprocate and join the Sacramento Group Effort ? Or should we set up one long list ? What happens if the effort is incomplete by the August order date ? I guess the order would go to the local dealer at MSRP and the Group Buy would lose one car off the list. This alone should be an incentive for each area’s basket of dealers to step up to the plate quickly. If they don’t they might still capture wave 2 or later, but they might also lose out permanently for lack of effort or demonstration of good will in this early round.

One difficulty in planning how to proceed is the distance from the customer to the eventual dealer. Some of us may be willing to go thru a lot of hassle, others not so much. I personally am not willing to spend most of the $1,000 savings on having the car trucked to my home, so I would spend a day or two driving it back myself. But if we set up one large list that includes both Sacramento and BayArea … where does it stop ?

Anyway. Just wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thinks might be the best way to proceed.

I think calling/e-mailing Nissan dealers in Sacramento, explaining to them that Fontana Nissan is offering $1000 off MSRP and asking Sacramento Nissan dealers if they are willing to match Fontana Nissan might be a good option as well?

gasmiser1 said:
Another one to consider- Nissan of Elk Grove, 8590 Laguna Grove Dr., Elk Grove, CA 1(888)377-2430 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1(888)377-2430      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Nissan of Elk Grove is about 1/2 way between Sacramento and the Mid Bay Area.

If we don't have enough buyers in the Bay Area, I'd switch groups to whichever will get us the volume discount.
Good suggestion. But I already tried them. They have committed to MSRP, but are not currently considering matching the Fontana offer. Which does not mean they might not offer SOME discount, but for now, basically they shrugged their shoulders. ( I did not yet offer a group volume purchase ... that could change things. Wanted to wait how numbers play out. )

Back