Phoenix Drivers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sogorman

I am on the fence about how a Leaf will preform in the summer months of Phoenix where the typical high in August is at least 105 degrees. I was hoping some Phoenix drivers could share their experiences with real world range with 100% AC usage. I'm not concerned with long term battery capacity decline, I'm hoping to do a 24, or 36 month lease.

My work commute is only 16 miles round trip (75% freeway) and I have covered parking at work which should help keep the battery temp down a bit.

Thanks much!

Sean

TonyWilliams said:
although perhaps less effieicient on 2013 LEAF.
Just wanted highlight Tony's "perhaps" since so far this is purely anecdotal. I hope to quantify this soon. On my 2011, despite being on the verge of a battery warranty work (72% SOH) and having a 50 mile round trip commute on the freeway I feel no need to ever go without AC - even in the mornings when I am really just using the AC to dry the monsoon air. The air conditioning was one of the pleasant surprises that exceeded my expectations.

I drive 60 miles a day, its actually the winter where you will see a decline not the summer .. There will be a month where it will get down into the 40s-50s where you will see a dip in M/KWH .. The heater is worst then the AC for burning KWs ..

mark1313 said:
I drive 60 miles a day, its actually the winter where you will see a decline not the summer .. There will be a month where it will get down into the 40s-50s where you will see a dip in M/KWH .. The heater is worst then the AC for burning KWs ..

Not the A/C on the 2013 since the heater may not be needed. I'm planning on using just the heated seats and steering wheel. As I've reported several times, the A/C uses much more energy than earlier years. However, the OP's drive will be a piece of cake even using the HVAC.

sogorman said:
I am on the fence about how a Leaf will preform in the summer months of Phoenix where the typical high in August is at least 105 degrees. I was hoping some Phoenix drivers could share their experiences with real world range with 100% AC usage. I'm not concerned with long term battery capacity decline, I'm hoping to do a 24, or 36 month lease.

My work commute is only 16 miles round trip (75% freeway) and I have covered parking at work which should help keep the battery temp down a bit.

Thanks much!

Sean

Unless the leases have changed, I would strongly recommend a two-year lease.

Curious about the statements regarding 2013 Leafs using more power with the AC than earlier models. From what I understand, 2013 moved to a more efficient heat pump technology which is supposed to be more economical with the AC and the heat?

BooKittyLeaf said:
Curious about the statements regarding 2013 Leafs using more power with the AC than earlier models. From what I understand, 2013 moved to a more efficient heat pump technology which is supposed to be more economical with the AC and the heat?
The heat portion is markedly more efficient than the 2011 / 2012 /2013 S forward heater.
A lot better down to 15 F. Some better down to 4 F.
No better below 4 F.

But the design is a compromise and the AC is less efficient.
Could have been as efficient but would have required a high precision refrigerant control valve like the home mini-split units use.
But the valve is extremely expensive so Nissan hybrid HVAC has less efficient AC.

The power for AC is very low.
You hardly notice any range impact on non-hybrid.
Might notice some with hybrid.
But still pretty small.
Someone needs to quantify the kW difference but I have not seen that.

TimLee said:
BooKittyLeaf said:
The heat portion is markedly more efficient than the 2011 / 2012 /2013 S forward heater.
A lot better down to 15 F. Some better down to 4 F.
No better below 4 F.

But the design is a compromise and the AC is less efficient.
Could have been as efficient but would have required a high precision refrigerant control valve like the home mini-split units use.
But the valve is extremely expensive so Nissan hybrid HVAC has less efficient AC.

The power for AC is very low.
You hardly notice any range impact on non-hybrid.
Might notice some with hybrid.
But still pretty small.
Someone needs to quantify the kW difference but I have not seen that.

I took a test drive in a 2015 and did not notice any difference in the energy use display on the navigation screen, but it does not have really good resolution. In a few months, I will know because my 2011 was just totaled and I have a 2015 SL on order.

Gerry

Back