Black Mountain miles gain down the mountain

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

I'm planning a trip to Asheville, NC and would like to know if anybody has experience going down Black Mountain. It is a very long descent and I was trying to figure out how many miles I could expect to gain from the top of Black Mountain to the bottom where the town of Old Fort is and where the expressway flattens out. I am interested in knowing because I wanted to charge my Leaf in the town of Black Mountain, probably up to about 80 miles worth of charge. If the car generates more than five miles worth of charge on the way down the mountain I am concerned it would be detrimental to the battery health.
Hopefully, this is the right place to post this question. If not, please forgive me!

regen is limited at high state of charge, you can charge up to full and go down the mountain and it won't hurt the battery pack. You will notice the car wants to coast more / brake less on the long skinny pedal on the right but the brake pedal will work normally.

you will gain about .750 kwh per 1000 feet drop. Tony Williams range chart is a good start. it works and is easy to use. have a good trip.

Back