Austin Energy proposing $25 for 6 month unlimited charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIAC

Here's an interesting article regarding a flat $25 for unlimited EV charging from Austin Energy.

Austin Energy is suggesting the rate of $25 as a six-month subscription fee for car charging costs in its Plus-in Everywhere™ public charging station network. The fee would be unlimited use at any of the more than 100 public charging stations to be installed by the end of summer throughout Austin. Subscribers will receive a swipe card to use; the fee includes sales tax.

Maybe, if you aren't going to be able to do most of your charging at home.

Let's say for argument's sake that you can charge at home for $0.10/kWh.
$25/month would then be equivalent to 250 kWh.
This is L2 charging, I am sure, so at 3.5 kW, that is 71.5 hours of charging per month.

If you can do it while you are at work, fine, otherwise I don't spend nearly 71.5 hours/month shopping, eating out, going to movies, etc.

Ray

Ed: Oops! I blew it. Yes, $25 for 6 months is much better.

planet4ever said:
$25/month would then be equivalent to 250 kWh.

It is $25 for entire 6 months - not per month.

In today's times, $25 doesn't necessarily buy much. However, if you own an electric car, you may soon be able to drive on just $25 for an entire six months.

evnow said:
planet4ever said:
This is L2 charging, I am sure, so at 3.5 kW, that is 71.5 hours of charging per month.

It is $25 for entire 6 months - not per month.

That is still over 10 hours per month. I've driven an EV for 15 years, and I don't think I've plugged in for 10 hours away from home in that time (maybe 10 times, not sure of how many hours). Granted it's not been readily available, but it just is not necessary for most people. I will say that I'm looking forward to being able to use the public charging stations for some of my longer trips. Mostly the quick charge port so I can make trips to SF and back once in a while (something I can't do in my current EV). L2 port at 3.3kW is really useless except for home charging.

Somebody please install a QC station in SF or the east bay area!!!

palmermd said:
That is still over 10 hours per month. I've driven an EV for 15 years, and I don't think I've plugged in for 10 hours away from home in that time (maybe 10 times, not sure of how many hours).
I'd look at it as about $4 to access and charge per month. If there are enough chargers out there, definitely worth it i.e. if you have to otherwise pay for them per charge.

It would be nice if the various charging networks could standardize on one AccessID card, so one does not need to carry a pocket full. Should have been part of the J1772 standards, but they probably did not think about how these units would actually get used.

Likewise, we need ONE database that includes all the chargers and networks, with locations AND real-time status. Another failing of the standards, I feel.

"Oh, you actually want these to be usable?" :lol:

Come on, charge-network guys, figure it out! ... more is better for all.

I thought I would post some relevant info here. This link has been posted elsewhere, but is helpful for us Austinites to find the charging stations in our neck of the woods.

http://www.mychargepoint.net/find-stations.php

There's a couple at Barton Springs pool, and several at City of Austin buildings in the same area (Palmer Events Center, Austin Energy, One Texas Center). It looks like there are some planned for the City hall parking garage and one at the Hampton Library on Convict Hill Rd. The charger at Whole Foods and the two locations in north Austin do not appear to be part of Austin Energy's "Plug-In EVerywhere" program according to the information listed on the above map, but I'm not certain. It seems like it is illegal to resell electricity from Austin Energy, so I do not know exactly what the deal is there.

Here is the form to fill out to get access for $25/6 mos. Note you do not need to be an Austin Energy customer.

https://www.formstack.com/forms/?1050890-CvJsRgjvdR

And more information from Austin Energy's website:

http://www.austinenergy.com/about us/environmental initiatives/Plug-In Partners/chargeOnTheRoad.htm

This is a great deal for people like me that work in Austin. I can't believe they allow for unlimited charging for only $25 for 6 months. What a deal.

Thank you for posting this.

Back