phxsmiley
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7837

Re: Phoenix metro-area

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:14 pm

phxsmiley wrote:Found an interesting charger at Ray Rd and I-10 in Chandler. It's free and in front of the AMC Theaters, by Pita Jungle. It's two L2 units supplied and supported by Volta. Volta's website shows several stations in Hawaii, but none anywhere else. You just plug in, don't swipe any card or anything. One unit was down, but the other worked fine.

The spots are not clearly marked as EV-only, so they will often get ICE'd.
Sent a thanks message in Facebook to their Volta facebook page, and they replied back:

Volta Charging Great Dave! There are plenty of stations going in your area soon!
Glacier Pearl SL-e, Delivered Aug 26th, 2011
Current Miles: 94,000 Miles (Aug 31st, 2017); Capacity Bars: 12/12;
EV Project; EVSE Upgrade Rev2

kovalb
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2014

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:58 pm

phxsmiley wrote:Found an interesting charger at Ray Rd and I-10 in Chandler. It's free and in front of the AMC Theaters, !
I was able to charge there this morning. One of the two EVSEs was down so I sent Volta an e-mail to let them know and to thank them. I noticed they said they were made in Hawaii; not what I usually think of as a manufacturing base ;) .
There was also someone who had ICEed one of the stations and started to walk away and then returned. We talked briefly. He said he didn't think two EVs would ever actually use the stations at the same time. I let him know that word was getting out about this location and I expected it to be popular. He said he did not want to inconvenience anyone and was overall apologetic so I thanked him and he moved his vehicle - kind of an open SUV sized ATV :shock: .
They do have signage now saying something like EVs only. Just paper but they are very clear :) .
Had six Nissan LEAFs in five years. Hope to get another.
Retired Nissan Employee (NTCNA-AZ). Opinions expressed here are my own.

RickS
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2013

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:15 am

shrink wrote:This really irks me. I was in downtown Phoenix tonight to head over to the local craft ale house. It happens to be across from Ecotality. They have 3 charging stations there. I didn't need a charge, but figured I'd plug in because it was across the street from where I was going. Sadly, the 3 EVSE's in Ecotality's own lot were vandalized for copper!

Pics are below. I don't know the solution, but for $5 of copper wire, these charging stations are not functional at the moment.
Glad I'm not the only one who uses those while patronizing the Angels Trumpet! Thanks for posting that.

They used to have 120V outlets there, which I had always told myself I'd use those just to have an easy free parking spot once they started charging money for L2, but they had a homeless problem where the bums would hang out around the chargers and charge their ipods and other devices (yes this is true) off the 120V outlets. Even after having the police enforce it more heavily (I walked up to an awkward situation there once) they still have to ultimately remove the 120V plugs.

I'd spoken with people at Ecotality a while back at EVS 26 and they admitted they had had a few instances of vandalism in the northern states, but none in Phoenix at that time. I hope this does not become a trend. At least they had the foresight to mark the cables with their name and do not scrap.
leafbatteriescanttaketheheat.com/

mark1313
Delivery Date: 20 May 2011
Leaf Number: 001024

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 pm

It was all done with-in 3 days ..I feel like im in a new car again..
turbo2ltr wrote:There hasn't really been any gatherings in Phoenix.

how long did it take for them to replace the battery from when you bought it in to file a claim?

phxsmiley
Forum Supporter

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:35 pm

mark1313 wrote:It was all done with-in 3 days ..I feel like im in a new car again..

how long did it take for them to replace the battery from when you bought it in to file a claim?
I brought mine in to have it checked out at the end of July, and they told me it would be the first week of September when the battery would come in. They must have only had a small stock of these batteries. A Nissan case number has been assigned, and a Nissan rep is calling me every Wednesday to keep me up to speed. I appreciate this level of service, of course I'm disappointed that they didn't have the battery in stock, but I'm sure I'll get one fresh off the line, perhaps a 2014 model.

Once it's in, he told me they would keep the car for a couple days to do a couple charge/discharge cycles and test it out.

mark1313

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Smiley if you time it right, you should be able to get 2 battery replacements before the warranty ends..
phxsmiley wrote:
mark1313 wrote:It was all done with-in 3 days ..I feel like im in a new car again..

I brought mine in to have it checked out at the end of July, and they told me it would be the first week of September when the battery would come in. They must have only had a small stock of these batteries. A Nissan case number has been assigned, and a Nissan rep is calling me every Wednesday to keep me up to speed. I appreciate this level of service, of course I'm disappointed that they didn't have the battery in stock, but I'm sure I'll get one fresh off the line, perhaps a 2014 model.

Once it's in, he told me they would keep the car for a couple days to do a couple charge/discharge cycles and test it out.

mark1313

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 pm

I have Phx. downtown jury duty next week .. I estimate that it may be close to a 90 minute drive to get there ...Are there any safe spots for charging ? Im also worried about (copper thefts) and no chargers available and being stranded in the downtown area ...

kovalb
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2014

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:16 am

mark1313 wrote:I have Phx. downtown jury duty next week .. I estimate that it may be close to a 90 minute drive to get there ...Are there any safe spots for charging ? Im also worried about (copper thefts) and no chargers available and being stranded in the downtown area ...
ECOtality's visitor lot has L2 and DC-FC available. Its gates are open during business hours. Check either Plugshare or BlinkMap to find others. BlinkMap also shows whether they are being used or not in service as well.
Had six Nissan LEAFs in five years. Hope to get another.
Retired Nissan Employee (NTCNA-AZ). Opinions expressed here are my own.

phxsmiley
Forum Supporter

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am

kovalb wrote:
mark1313 wrote:I have Phx. downtown jury duty next week .. I estimate that it may be close to a 90 minute drive to get there ...Are there any safe spots for charging ? Im also worried about (copper thefts) and no chargers available and being stranded in the downtown area ...
ECOtality's visitor lot has L2 and DC-FC available. Its gates are open during business hours. Check either Plugshare or BlinkMap to find others. BlinkMap also shows whether they are being used or not in service as well.
Last year I went to Jury duty downtown, then afterwards charged at the Ecotality DC charger. That works well, only a couple miles from the Jury parking, and it works fine as long as you get there before they close the gates, I think that's 4:30 They have multple L2 Blink units there also.

phxsmiley
Forum Supporter

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:35 am

mark1313 wrote:Smiley if you time it right, you should be able to get 2 battery replacements before the warranty ends..
Oh yes, I'm definitely thinking I might be able to get a second replacement before the warranty is up. This one didn't quite last 2 years. I'm one of the lucky few who actually bought their Leaf, and would be interested in keeping it a while. I usually keep my cars past 100K miles, not sure how this will work out with the Battery 'Rental' program - I know it's not quite the same, but it sure feels like making a car payment of $100/month after the car is paid off - hmm....

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”