Tucson LEAF Owners - August 18 gathering

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azrich

Hello, LEAF Owners or those of you waiting for your LEAFs,

I'm taking a chance here to just schedule a breakfast gathering and see how many will show up.

June 18 - Saturday

9:30 - 11:00 am

The Good Egg - 7981 E SPEEDWAY

Parking is tight next to the restaurant.
Let's park in a row in front of the Lowe's Garden Center.
Look for my LEAF. I'll get there early.

It is a short walk across the parking lot. I'll go early to reserve a table, so if you could PM me if you will be attending this gathering, I'll know how many to expect.

Bring LEAF stories, photos, information, questions, modifications, etc. I've met some LEAF owners that are not on the forum so I'll email them too.

Richard

Out of courtesy, you might check with the Lowe's manager to see
that parking in their lot is OK with them. Perhaps choose a group
of parking spots furthest from the Lowe's entry/exit doors.

If you have a feling that your group will be more than about 6, you
might want to let the resturant know that you intend to bring a small
group ... helps to build good relations ... and interest.

But, GOOD WORK for getting the first meeting going! :D

I'll try to make it--thanks for setting this up! We're sure having a great time with our Leaf; haven't bought any gas in a month. Also have a Bionx system which actually is how I make most of my commute trips. Maybe when our couple of ICEs run out of fuel we'll just quit driving them all together.

Matt

Remember, LEAF owners breakfast on June 18. See info in previous posts. So far about 8 or 9 people have responded to me that they plan to attend. Hope to see you there.

Richard

Tucson LEAF Owners,

Recently I received an email from LEAF owner, Peter, (WhisperLeaf) to tell me that his son, John will be attending breakfast with us on June 18. John has worked with Tesla Motors on the transmission and battery controls. He is now working for a Chinese automobile company designing battery packs. He should have some great information and a few questions for us LEAF owners.

Again, if you plan to attend this first LEAF Owners Breakfast, please PM me or add a comment here so I know how big our table needs to be. The number is up to about ten with about 6 LEAFs coming.

Richard

Reminder: the first breakfast gathering of the Tucson LEAF Owners will be this Saturday, June 18 at 9:30 am at the Good Egg on the corner of Speedway and Kolb. Please park in front of the Lowe's garden center.

About 14 people are scheduled to attend, so far. Come meet Katie, who just ordered her LEAF recently. She and her husband have some questions for us. She is a professor of climatology at the U of A and will be able to answer our questions about global warming too.

Arrangements have been made with the Good Egg for our group - I'll get there at about 8:30 to reserve a large table or two tables for us, depending on our numbers.

Please pm me if you plan to attend, if you haven't already, so I will know how many seats we will need.

Thanks.
Richard

Good Morning!

We are at the Good Egg Restaurant. With 20 people planning to attend, it seems best to be on the patio. Hope this is ok with people.

Richard

The Tucson LEAF Owners had their first breakfast gathering today on June 18. Eighteen people attended the breakfast on the patio of the Good Egg Restaurant. There have been 34 LEAFs delivered in Tucson so far, and 10 of them brought their owners and family members to this meeting.

Out of the ten LEAFs represented, 5 of them are being charged with solar power. Three people who have recently ordered their LEAFs were also there to ask questions and learn. One member's son was here visiting from San Francisco where he is working for a Chinese auto maker helping to design a battery pack for a Chinese built electric vehicle. Four years ago he worked for Tesla Motors.

(Click on thumbnail photo to enlarge it.)

There was lots of discussions about our LEAFs, features we like and don't like, chargers, the long ordering process, and the much awaited public chargers. This was the first time that some people had the chance to talk to another LEAF owner. The attendees also filled out surveys to help in planning future meetings.

It was amazing to see ten LEAFs lined up in the Lowe's parking lot. In the photo below there are 9 of the LEAfs as one member had to leave early. The ninth silver LEAF is hiding at the far end of the line up. Blue and red seem to be the most common colors in Tucson.

Below is MyNissanLEAF.com member, Alex, with his 3-day old LEAF, Baby LEAF. Alex has had a long history of driving electric vehicles. He leased an EV1 in the mid 90's.

The LEAF owners and spouses attending voiced a large commitment to bettering the world through solar energy and electric vehicles. All were comfortable about being early adopters of this technology. We all wanted to make sure that our children, grandchildren and others would inherit a world that would be as good or better than we had received.

Information about our next meeting will be announced on this forum in a couple weeks.

"Electric cars not selling" screams Tucson Citizen. I'm hoping some of you can set the record straight and suitably admonish the lazy author Jonathan DuHamel.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wryheat/2011/07/01/electric-cars-not-selling/

Meanwhile, Nissan Motors has sold only 8,000 of its all electric Nissan Leafs worldwide since last December. Maybe that’s because all-electric vehicles are not practical outside an urban environment. Recall a recent story about driving a Leaf from San Diego, California, to Tucson, Arizona. The normally 8-hour drive took a week in a Leaf.

I am remiss in posting so late and I wanted to thank Richard for setting up this gathering. Billie and I really enjoyed meeting everyone and would like to get together again. :D I hope we can set up another gathering soon, perhaps at Macayos on Grant. They have a large meeting room that I have used in the past for Sonoran Board Sailors meetings.

Also, Thanks for posting the pictures!

Hello, Tucson LEAF Owners!!

The next gathering of the Tucson LEAF Owners will be on Thursday, August 18, at 5:30 pm. This meeting will be held at Thoroughbred Nissan at 5163 E. 22nd Street. Thoroughbred will provide us a room in which to meet and pizzas. Salad, sodas, and bottled water will also be provided. There will also be 2 chargers available for those traveling a long distance.

I don’t know about you, but I keep seeing other LEAFs throughout Tucson as I am driving around and even in parking lots. I’ve met several new LEAF owners this way and told them about this group. Please let anyone else you know that might be interested about this gathering. All are welcome.

Public Charging Stations: The Arizona regional manager of the EV Project notified me that he would contact me when they have a Blink charger dedication. It was suppose to take place in mid-July. I know that Oro Valley has several chargers and there are some in U of A parking structures. I’ll let you know if there is going to be any type of dedication for the EV Project chargers.

I am part of the EV Project and have a Blink charger. The Blink Network recently sent out their first “Currents” newsletter. They featured an article about my LEAF and Blink charger. I guess I was probably the only one who filled out the survey they sent. Click on the blue “Meet Richard” to see the whole article. There is also a photo of our solar panel system by going to the link: “See Blink in Action: Summer Photos”. Here is the link to the newsletter:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=27cf015daa8ea4ba2f6debcf7&id=01136dfa40&e=a20ebde1b4

Hope to see you there on August 18. Sorry about the short notice – a bathroom remodel has been consuming my time.

Richard (Azrich)

Back