mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm

evnow wrote:If you are going to use this for overnight charging - anyway you can't keep your garage open.
But you could leave the cord under the closed garage door. They don't close down tight, at least mine doesn't - you can still get a finger under there where the weather seal is. And don't ask me how one of our cats died, but we now have a rule about making sure the garage door is clear of cats as it's coming down! Poor "Gray Cat". :(
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:19 pm

I am ignoring AV until I get more information ... probably from other's install quotes.

I await a plug-in 240v solution.

I would prefer it to be outdoor-rated, so I can legally plug in like an RV is allowed to do.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 pm

LEAFer wrote:He could not release details at this time, but told me it will be worth our while to wait until the "Plug-In 2010" conference at the end of July. We will be nicely surprised, because ECOTalilty will have numerous product and strategy announcements, including pricing info at that time.
Nice. Check with Coulomb as well ...
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Frank
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm

LEAFer wrote:EV Project areas served by eTec will use their own meter, not AVs. The eTec meter has the extra smarts built-in to allow it to be used as a "revenue meter" in general, but each Utility must approve that use. SDG&E has petitioned the PUC to do just that, but so far they are the only utility company to do so.
Thanks for sharing that info. Is the eTec "meter" separate from the charging unit that will be mounted inside the garage? I'm trying to understand how SDG&E will be able to read the eTec meter if it is integrated with the charger.
* Zapino 60 volt Electric Scooter
* 7.622 kW (AC) PV System, 44 Sharp 208-Watt Solar Modules

AndyH

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Frank wrote:Thanks for sharing that info. Is the eTec "meter" separate from the charging unit that will be mounted inside the garage? I'm trying to understand how SDG&E will be able to read the eTec meter if it is integrated with the charger.
If I have it right, the eTec EVSE units are made by Coloumb - the same folks that make network-enabled smart charge points. Part of the Dept of Energy study data to be collected is the same type of data that would be used to charge an EVer that used a public charge station. These units can track charge time, power used, etc. but they don't use the same type of power meter a power company would install.

The AV units are just an EVSE - no extra smarts, no networking, etc.

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Randy wrote:I was able to verify that the Ecotality EVSE will have an internal meter, as mentioned above. For San Diego, SDG&E will evidently calibrate the internal meter and use it. Not sure how it interfaces with the main meter. For example, if the EVSE is wired to a breaker in the main panel, then it's usage will ADD to the existing meter, so billing would have to take care of that. Are they planning to tap the incoming feed before the existing meter to feed the EVSE? Not sure...

What I'd still like to find out is whether we'll be allowed to have a 120v outlet from the EVSE circuit installed in the garage. The reason for this is that there are times when I can't get the car in the garage and I want to be able to charge from the driveway or street in front (even at the lower voltage). I would promise not to plug anything else into it(!)
If the EVSE meter is calibrated and read, SDG&E can just subtract that number from the main meter. Bingo, you have main house juice minus EV juice. Bill accordingly.
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

Frank
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm

AndyH wrote:If I have it right, the eTec EVSE units are made by Coloumb - the same folks that make network-enabled smart charge points. Part of the Dept of Energy study data to be collected is the same type of data that would be used to charge an EVer that used a public charge station. These units can track charge time, power used, etc. but they don't use the same type of power meter a power company would install.

OK, but how does the Utility get the kWh usage data out of the eTec charger so they know how much to bill you? Does the Utility poll the eTec charger via the Internet?
* Zapino 60 volt Electric Scooter
* 7.622 kW (AC) PV System, 44 Sharp 208-Watt Solar Modules

AndyH

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Frank wrote:
AndyH wrote:If I have it right, the eTec EVSE units are made by Coloumb - the same folks that make network-enabled smart charge points. Part of the Dept of Energy study data to be collected is the same type of data that would be used to charge an EVer that used a public charge station. These units can track charge time, power used, etc. but they don't use the same type of power meter a power company would install.

OK, but how does the Utility get the kWh usage data out of the eTec charger so they know how much to bill you? Does the Utility poll the eTec charger via the Internet?
The Couloumb units are designed for commercial use. Folks can create an account and plug-in to an available unit. The unit tracks the electricity used, sends it for processing, and the user gets a bill.

The system isn't designed with a big, round meter like we have on our houses - so are likely not going to be able to use one of these EVSE units as our 2nd meter unless Coulomb and the power companies agree to share info.

http://www.coulombtech.com/solutions-municipalities.php
http://www.mychargepoint.net/charge-pass.php

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:47 pm

My apologies. In my report on the phone conversation I inadvertently used the word "meter" (probably because that's where my focus was) when I should have said "EVSE". So the first two sentences SHOULD read:
EV Project areas served by eTec will use their own EVSE, not AVs. The eTec EVSE has the extra smarts built-in to allow it to be used as a "revenue meter" in general, but each Utility must approve that use.
I corrected the original post to minimize confusion on others reading thru this thread.

(Other calls have to wait til tomorrow. Had some priorities to attend to here ...)
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

indyflick

Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:59 pm

By way of introduction, we're off the 15 @ via Rancho near North County Fair mall. Selected Mossy Nissan Escondido, BBB gave them an A+. I will change dealerships if they won't agree to MSRP. Ordered a Planet Blue SL. Also, we were approved for the home charging unit and installation as part of the EV Project. Guess that's about it.

Return to “Pacific USA”