tech01
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 0000

my new plates

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Just got my plates! 313 hope this isn't a harbinger of luck. A parking official in DesPlaines stopped, got out of her vehicle checked the front plate, then checked the back plate, repeated the process. returned to her vehicle with what appeared to be a ticket book, I then intervened. She had noticed the plate as not being one she had ever seen and also noted that it was good for two years. So she was now going to run the vehicle vin, as nothing came back with the plate number. We had a conversation about the relative merits of the leaf, she didn't get the whole vin but is now informed on what a great car Leafs are and all went away happy. Illinois doesn't seem to be on top of the whole "Electric Car" thing yet! Also we thought that the image of Lincoln should be centered between EL and the number sequence. ;)

lspooz
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: Greensboro

Re: my new plates

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:58 pm

tech01 wrote:Just got my plates! 313 hope this isn't a harbinger of luck. A parking official in DesPlaines stopped, got out of her vehicle checked the front plate, then checked the back plate, repeated the process. returned to her vehicle with what appeared to be a ticket book, I then intervened. She had noticed the plate as not being one she had ever seen and also noted that it was good for two years. So she was now going to run the vehicle vin, as nothing came back with the plate number. We had a conversation about the relative merits of the leaf, she didn't get the whole vin but is now informed on what a great car Leafs are and all went away happy. Illinois doesn't seem to be on top of the whole "Electric Car" thing yet! Also we thought that the image of Lincoln should be centered between EL and the number sequence. ;)

photo?!?

User avatar
ebill3
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7964
Location: Puyallup WA

Re: my new plates

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:49 pm

lspooz wrote: photo?!?
Yes. Not clear what the problem, question, discrepency is.

Bill
All electric - red LEAF, green Tesla S. No ICE.

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12467
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: my new plates

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Apparently Illinois plates for an EV have a new "style" that the officer
was not familiar with: "EL<space><numbers>" or similar.

Just a description of the encounter, no question or problem.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5568
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: my new plates

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 pm

ebill3 wrote:
lspooz wrote: photo?!?
Yes. Not clear what the problem, question, discrepency is.

Bill

Image

JUST KIDDING :mrgreen:

If this PDF is accurate, I have no idea how a meter reader would cope. There are more specialty plates than you can shake a stick at! The EL plate is several pages into the listing.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publi ... vsd665.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

SteveInSeattle
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:33 pm
Delivery Date: 03 May 2011
Location: Lake Forest park, WA
Contact: Website

Re: my new plates

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 am

I love the satirical plate!!!!
2013 lease ended, purchased a red 2015 SL Premium from Ray Ishak at Magic Nissan. Good deal + rebates + $7500 tax credit + no sales tax = Leaf for Sentra money.

tech01
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 0000

Re: my new plates

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 pm

No photo yet. "Beano" is on loan to a neighbor for a mini van today as it will not hold 3 adults and two kids worth of luggage. The meter maid in DesPlaines thought a plate number that low was someone important and maybe didn't want to miss a photo opp. The vehicle was parked legally, though in Chicago that isn't always relevant. We wonder if other states have special plates at reduced cost? Love the governor lic. plate! It occurs to me that a license plate frame with the gov theme would be a hit. Maybe Blago could make some money that way. We would pop for that one.

EdmondLeaf
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: my new plates

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:34 pm

tech01 wrote:We wonder if other states have special plates at reduced cost?
OK- no special plates, no reduced cost, no incentives for EV at all

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”