SanDust

Re: Waialae to Wahiawa commute ok for leaf?

Fri May 18, 2012 12:00 am

Herm wrote:I think the average speed is 48mph.. the 73 mile number is is the new 5 Cycle EPA test that includes an 80mph/high acceleration high speed cycle, a cold cycle with heater use, a hot cycle with AC use plus the original mild city and hwy cycles. The original cycles are followed after a full charge plus an overnight rest and are repeated until the car cant meet the acceleration specs, probably just above turtle, total distance is measured.
As your source points out, the 73 mile number is an adjusted 2-Cycle number not a 5-Cycle number ("EPA regulations require the city and highway energy consumption and driving range values listed on the FE Label (window sticker) to be adjusted to more accurately reflect the energy consumption and driving range that customers can expect to achieve in the real world.")

The average speed on the City Cycle is 21.2 MPH. The average speed on the Highway Cycle is 48.3 MPH. The average speed on the "High Speed" is 48.37 MPH. It lasts for ten minutes (as say compared to the City Cycle that lasts over thirty minutes). That doesn't matter though because it's not ever used. The only cycles that are run on an EV are the City and the Highway.

In any event the Leaf's EPA range will probably be overstated for the kind of driving he's looking at. Most ICE vehicles get much better MPG on the Highway Cycle than the City Cycle and the USO6 Cycle doesn't bother them that much. On the other hand the Leaf does better on the City Cycle and would do very poorly on US06. Since the adjustment factor is based on how ICE vehicles perform at US06 relative to the City Cycle, which is relatively good, applying this factor to the Leaf is going to understate the adjustment factor and overstate the range.

spleenster
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2012

Fri May 18, 2012 1:55 am

I drive from Hawaii Kai to Waipio daily for my commute. I can do it without issues on a 80% charge without charging at work. I would be able to get home with about 3-4 bars on my meter for the straight commute. On some mornings, I drop my daughter off at school in town before heading to work and I notice that I'm closer to 2 bars on those days when I get home.

If you end up doing a lot of errands during lunch time, it might start getting a little dicey though I suspect that you'd still be OK. You would probably want to charge to 100% though. If you can do at least some L1 charging while at work, that would be very helpful and give you some peace of mind (you can't find a plug someplace to put in the trickle charger?) I have access to a L2 charger near where I work and use it occasionally when I plan on running a bunch of errands after work.

I think the idea of renting a Leaf and trying out your commute is a good idea, just to see how things are. That last stretch coming up H2 does suck up some battery power. :)

Rmasu
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Fri May 18, 2012 12:46 pm

that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. I think at 100% waialae to wahiawa should be ok if you can go from Hawaii kai to waipio. Thanks for the input. I am working on charging at work.
Thanks!

Rmasu
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:12 pm

just to follow up on my original question.
Any other Hawaii people out there, the leaf is a great car for our island.
Waialae to Wahiawa and back absolutely no problem. I drive normally not like a granny ac the whole way, even took a lunch trip to Walmart in Mililani bact to wahiawa then back to Waialae. Mostly 60 mph then the worst traffic in the nation sets in.
I get home no problem with 2-3 bars left, yesterday I got home with 4 bars left. If batt deg is really bad it might be cutting close. but if I can keep even 80% no problem!
I must admit though first couple of trips I was glued to the power meter and GOM.
Car is wonderful. smoother and quieter than my wifes MB E350 2010!

spleenster
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2012

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:20 am

Rmasu wrote:just to follow up on my original question.
Any other Hawaii people out there, the leaf is a great car for our island.
Waialae to Wahiawa and back absolutely no problem. I drive normally not like a granny ac the whole way, even took a lunch trip to Walmart in Mililani bact to wahiawa then back to Waialae. Mostly 60 mph then the worst traffic in the nation sets in.
I get home no problem with 2-3 bars left, yesterday I got home with 4 bars left. If batt deg is really bad it might be cutting close. but if I can keep even 80% no problem!
I must admit though first couple of trips I was glued to the power meter and GOM.
Car is wonderful. smoother and quieter than my wifes MB E350 2010!
Glad to hear that it's all working out for you!! (going to take my Leaf in on Tuesday for its 7500 mile service) :)

ELROY
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 023406

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:39 am

Aeolus wrote:When I was recently in Oahu for a wedding, I saw a bunch of LEAFs at the Enterprise rental yard by the airport. Why not rent one for a few days?
I wonder if Enterprise always charges to 100% or 80% on a daily basis?

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 pm

You do know that there is not really such a thing as a 7,500 mile service on the Leaf and that it is only a good way for the dealer to separate you from your money, right? Get a tire rotation anywhere at 7,500 (free to 15 bucks) and you are done.
spleenster wrote:Glad to hear that it's all working out for you!! (going to take my Leaf in on Tuesday for its 7500 mile service) :)
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”