Maui, Hawaii

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcoCarRental

I thought I would start a thread for the island of Maui.

I made a Google Map for Maui EV charge stations here - http://www.evcarrentals.com/mauievchargestations.htm - I'm interested in any input on how to make the map as accurate & user friendly as possible.

We're also participating in the Maui Electric Vehicle Alliance - http://maui.hawaii.edu/eva/home/ - whose purpose is to prepare a multi-year EV implementation plan for Maui County.

FYI - As of 5/21/2012, our local Nissan dealer has 14 Leafs in stock.

Shaun

When I was there 14 months ago, that dealer had a $5,000 "Added Markup" sticker on most of his new cars on the lot, including the one LEAF that was there and for sale. If that's still the case, small wonder that they're not moving.

Boomer23 said:
When I was there 14 months ago, that dealer had a $5,000 "Added Markup" sticker on most of his new cars on the lot, including the one LEAF that was there and for sale. If that's still the case, small wonder that they're not moving.
Depending on the options, that's about 13% cost add-on. From my days living on isolated islands around the US that falls in line with an "island price markup". I don't know the shipping intricacies of Maui vs Oahu but that doesn't seem too outrageous a starting point for haggling.

Even though a LEAF seems well suited for a small island, having 14 LEAFs at a dealership seems risky to me as I'm not sure how many people on Maui that can afford to pay that much for a car.

I don't think they will have too much of a problem selling them. As of end of March there were 38 Leafs, 9 Volts & 2 iMiEVs on Maui. The dealer has been marking them up quite a bit, but that doesn't mean they are getting what they ask. Although, before the State $4500 rebate funds ran out it probably was easier to get more.

Shaun

EcoCarRental said:
I thought I would start a thread for the island of Maui.

I made a Google Map for Maui EV charge stations here - http://www.evcarrentals.com/mauievchargestations.htm - I'm interested in any input on how to make the map as accurate & user friendly as possible.

We're also participating in the Maui Electric Vehicle Alliance - http://maui.hawaii.edu/eva/home/ - whose purpose is to prepare a multi-year EV implementation plan for Maui County.

Shaun

I saw quite a few Leafs there in April when I was visiting. I was not aware of your company then.

Young

EcoCarRental said:
UkrainianKozak said:
What is a ballpark price of renting a Leaf on Maui?
With the 10% forum discount the total price (including all taxes & fees) would be $383.77 for 7 days.

Shaun

This is less than what I paid to Hertz.

Young

JPVLeaf said:
Young said:
What kind of car did you rent? A Leaf?
How much was their weekly rate?

It was a compact car, not Leaf. Hertz does not offer Leaf there.
If I think about it, my weekly rate was higher due to insurance. I assume the Leaf rate quoted does not include insurance.

Young

Young said:
JPVLeaf said:
Young said:
What kind of car did you rent? A Leaf?
How much was their weekly rate?

It was a compact car, not Leaf. Hertz does not offer Leaf there.
If I think about it, my weekly rate was higher due to insurance. I assume the Leaf rate quoted does not include insurance.

Young
The rate I quoted does not include insurance/Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). We offer the CDW for $25/day, but prefer our renters rely on their own insurance coverage.

I was hoping to connect with local/Maui EV owners/enthusiasts. Are there any Maui based EV enthusiasts on this forum? We would like to start a Maui EV club as a way to band together so we can help to promote EV ownership on Maui.

Shaun

What's a decent range of the Leaf on Maui? I see charging stations at West, South and North coast areas so traveling around there shouldn't be a problem. What about the East coast and road to Hana? It doesn't look like the 102 mi RT from Kahului to Hana is possible without a couple of hours of L1 even with the slower travel speeds. Any EV-friendly businesses in Hana? I got approval to L1 at local restaurant near my town as long as I am having a meal. How about Pukalani and a bit of Highway 37/31? Of course, given the elevation gain, I wouldn't even try Haleakala without something half way or so. Any new stations being added soon?

Reddy

Reddy said:
What's a decent range of the Leaf on Maui? I see charging stations at West, South and North coast areas so traveling around there shouldn't be a problem. What about the East coast and road to Hana? It doesn't look like the 102 mi RT from Kahului to Hana is possible without a couple of hours of L1 even with the slower travel speeds. Any EV-friendly businesses in Hana? I got approval to L1 at local restaurant near my town as long as I am having a meal. How about Pukalani and a bit of Highway 37/31? Of course, given the elevation gain, I wouldn't even try Haleakala without something half way or so. Any new stations being added soon?

Reddy
If doing any uphill driving at all I think the realistic range is 60-80 miles depending on how much uphill there is. There are no LII chargers in Hana yet. We did rent the Leaf to someone last November who stayed in Hana for 5 days and was able to LI charge at the bed & breakfast she stayed at. It took ~3/4 of the battery to get her from our office to Hana (~55 miles) so that would put it right on pace for ~73 miles for that drive - lots of gulches on the road to Hana, which means lots of short uphill. There are no LII charge stations on highway 37/31, but maybe could find a local business that would allow LI charging, though I'm not sure it would be very helpful. Highway 31 is the most remote part of Maui so I don't anticipate any charging out there anytime soon. Haleakala presents the biggest challenge for 100% electrics. I drove our Leaf to Haleakala to see how far it would get and I made it to the park entrance, which is 11 miles from the top, with 2 bars remaining & 8 miles on the guessometer. There are plans to install a DC QC near the park entrance which will allow 100% electrics to get all the way to the top.

Maui Memorial Hospital is adding LII charging. Our County Building (in Wailuku) is adding a DC QC. A Japanese group is installing 5 DC QC over the next 1-2 years (one on the west side, one in Kahului, one in Kihei, one in the Hana area & one at the Haleakala entrance). There's also a state law that requires all public parking lots with 100 + parking stalls to have a least one charge station, so over the next year we should see lots of new LII charging.

Shaun

Thanks for the update. Sounds like Wailuku will be covered as well. Once you have Hana and Haleakala covered, it should be very easy to travel via EV (at least until they are competing for the limited number of chargers).

Reddy said:
Thanks for the update. Sounds like Wailuku will be covered as well. Once you have Hana and Haleakala covered, it should be very easy to travel via EV (at least until they are competing for the limited number of chargers).
Pukalani/Makawao is the only part of the island that I don't know of any charge stations being installed, so hopefully some business/businesses there will step up. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over time.

Shaun

padamson1 said:
EcoCarRental said:
Wow. 14 LEAFs on the island of Maui, that's a lot for that area. Wonder how fast they're leaving the lot...

Picked mine up on the 6th of this month!

EcoCarRental said:
I was hoping to connect with local/Maui EV owners/enthusiasts. Are there any Maui based EV enthusiasts on this forum? We would like to start a Maui EV club as a way to band together so we can help to promote EV ownership on Maui.

Shaun

Ya bro. I live in pukalani

Mauileaf said:
Ya bro. I live in pukalani
Sorry I missed your last post. Great to hear you got one. If your Leaf has the DC Quick Charge port the County installed a DC Quick Charger at the County Building located at 200 S. High Street in Wailuku, and you can get a fob from the Maui County Store located in the retail section at the Maui Mall (across from IHOP & Pizza Hut) for $20 and charging is currently free! :)

Some other EV enthusiasts have formed a Maui chapter of the Electric Auto Association - http://www.electricauto.org/group/MAUI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun

Back