ENIAC
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:56 am

Randy wrote:Eniac,
I, for one, welcome Blink to the forums. I would much rather have them posting here and telling us what's new or what the plans are rather than having them lose interest and go away because of posts like yours that are mean-spirited and inaccurate.

Sounds like you're upset because the government will be spending too much for the stations (you do know that the $100M hasn't been paid out yet, right?), and there aren't enough of them installed yet. But in the end, you don't like the price to use them anyways, which nullifies your argument. Of course they want to install more units, and they're working on it feverishly. In San Diego, they've installed double your 10% amount with many more on the way...

If you don't want to support public charging, that's your choice...But it's far from free to operate, and it will never be as cheap as your super off-peak garage price, which (by the way) is a temporary rate only for the duration of the local rate study. Your solar system may not have any O&M costs, but it wasn't free either...
Randy, sounds like you're a fanboy. (As long as we're making judgement calls) I'm not at all upset with the government paying for the initial public EVSE deployments also I whole heartedly support public charging (I use it several times a week), just not from companies who failed to keep up their end of the bargain. The EV Project should have been recompeted a year and a half ago. If it had, maybe there would have been QCs throughout SoCal.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 am

Blink wrote:
DarkStar wrote:How much for L2? (last I heard, $1 per hour)
How much for DC-QC? (no estimates given)
Here is a link to our Membership page - https://www.blinknetwork.com/membership.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - With a Blink Plus membership, charging is $1 per hour - (and signing up for this membership is currently free), - Blink Basic is $1.50 per hour and Blink Guest is $2 per hour.

Currently, DCFC charging is free.
Yes, I've checked that page, however it states specifically the following (emphasis mine):

Blink Plus - Charge for as low as $1.00 per hour ($30 annual fee, automatic credit card billing required)
Blink Basic - Charge for as low as $1.50 per hour (no annual fee, automatic credit card billing required)
Blink Guest - Your charge: As low as $2.00 per hour (no annual fee, manual credit card charging per session)

The language means that the $1/1.50/2 per hour fee isn't fixed and that when we show up at a station it could be $2, $3, maybe even $5 per hour. Also, the language doesn't tell us how billing is performed, for example is it calculated per minute, half-hour, or single hour. If I charge for 65 minutes at a station that is $1 per hour, I have no idea if I'm being billed $2 or $1.09, or maybe even $1.50.

If Blink wants this to work for the public, the actual fees and periods need to be clearly spelled out.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5083
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:52 am

ENIAC wrote:Randy, sounds like you're a fanboy. (As long as we're making judgement calls) ...
Actually he's a moderator and an SDG&E employee that's been doing a great job of supporting our community on his own time...plus he's absolutely right. Your complaints about having to pay are pretty selfish. The facts are that if public charging can't even pay it's own maintenance costs, we might as well rip them out now.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

EricBayArea
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:22 am

Full disclosure: I do not live in Maricopa County, so my comments are general for the community and Blink.

I am one who is is glad that a Blink representative has decided to join the community here. I will share with you what I have shared with Blink in the past-

Living in the Bay Area we have a VERY small number of Blink units and some are in very unusable areas. Add on top of that the up-and-down nature of the two Level 3 QCs units (Belmont and San Ramon) and there is very little incentive for me to pay a yearly fee for access. With that being said, I want you to know I really want you to be more successful in the Bay Area. I would really, REALLY, like to have more QCs and I would be happy to pay (I signed up for the 350Green at Stanford) per use. More L2s would be nice as well but the point of the 2011 & 2012 LEAFs having 3.3kw chargers is a valid one in that an hourly fee vs usage fee will make us less likely to use out in the wild when not absolutely needed.

DarkStar's comment is also one that interests me as well:
DarkStar wrote:The language means that the $1/1.50/2 per hour fee isn't fixed and that when we show up at a station it could be $2, $3, maybe even $5 per hour. Also, the language doesn't tell us how billing is performed, for example is it calculated per minute, half-hour, or single hour. If I charge for 65 minutes at a station that is $1 per hour, I have no idea if I'm being billed $2 or $1.09, or maybe even $1.50.

If Blink wants this to work for the public, the actual fees and periods need to be clearly spelled out.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

thankyouOB
Posts: 3583
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:14 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442
Location: Coastal LA

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:32 am

I am curious when the fees start in LA County.
We have a bunch of Blinks at work, but I dont know when the fees begin; mostly because my Leaf is in the shop.

Can you enlighten us?
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

ENIAC
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 am

davewill wrote:
ENIAC wrote:Randy, sounds like you're a fanboy. (As long as we're making judgement calls) ...
Actually he's a moderator and an SDG&E employee that's been doing a great job of supporting our community on his own time...plus he's absolutely right. Your complaints about having to pay are pretty selfish. The facts are that if public charging can't even pay it's own maintenance costs, we might as well rip them out now.
The point is charging individuals an annual membership fee of $30 (free for the first year), plus $1.50 per hour is a simply a non-starter for L2, at least it is for me. For QC, sounds reasonable and I'd sign up. But Blink didn't build out the QC as they promised they would, they hardly built out a L2 network for that matter.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5083
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:29 am

ENIAC wrote:The point is charging individuals an annual membership fee of $30 (free for the first year), plus $1.50 per hour is a simply a non-starter for L2, at least it is for me. ...
Sigh...the $1.50 an hour rate goes with the plan that has NO yearly fee. If you're willing to sign up for $30 a year you get $1 per hour.
Last edited by davewill on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

ENIAC
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:37 am

davewill wrote:
ENIAC wrote:The point is charging individuals an annual membership fee of $30 (free for the first year), plus $1.50 per hour is a simply a non-starter for L2, at least it is for me. ...
Sigh...the $1.50 an hour rate goes with the plan that has NO yearly fee. If you're willing to sign up for $30 a month you get $1 per hour.
Sign...
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

ENIAC
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 am

Interesting read...
http://insideevs.com/blink-ev-charging- ... w-a-blank/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

Blink
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:58 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2012

Re: Blink Membership Rollout Starts Today in Maricopa County

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:04 pm

thankyouOB wrote:I am curious when the fees start in LA County.
We have a bunch of Blinks at work, but I dont know when the fees begin; mostly because my Leaf is in the shop.

Can you enlighten us?
Hey thankyouOB,

Although the membership software will be rolling out in CA within the next few weeks, for a limited time charging will still be free! We will let you know when fees will begin.

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”